PDA

View Full Version : Ruger PC9

XBT
10-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Any a you folks got too much 9MM ammo lying around? Is some of it turning green with age? I got the solution for you. Buy a 9MM carbine and all of that excess ammo will disappear.

My grandson brought out his new Hi-Point carbine a while back and while it was accurate enough and fun to shoot I just couldn’t develop a liking for it. Too cheap looking and ugly. I found a Ruger PC9 in the classifieds the other day, and while it isn’t much to look at ether, it’s not as bad as the Hi-Point.

It feels and looks like an overgrown 10-22 and is lots of fun to shoot. It had probably the worst trigger I have ever felt on a gun, very heavy and lots of creep, but it wasn’t hard to work over and now after some tinkering it is quite good.

This one has the ghost ring sight and is surprisingly accurate, considering the class of gun and the cartridge it shoots. I can regularly hit basketball-sized rocks across the canyon at two hundred yards.

I’ve been feeding it boolits made from wheel weights with about 15% linotype added for a better fillout, cast in a Lyman #356242EV and it likes them fine, quite accurate and no leading. I have been using this same boolit in my pistols with good results for some time.

I still prefer the M-1 carbine in guns of this class, it has better power and looks much better to my eye, but I think I’ll keep this PC9 around just so I won’t accumulate any large supplies of loaded 9MM.