PDA

View Full Version : This one is new to me......

Ben
11-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I've got about 25 ea. .30 cal. molds. However , for whatever reason I've always read about the SAECO # 301 , but never owned one.

Well, I've got one now. I cast about 50 of them yesterday,sized them .310" with the Lee Push thru sizing die and then lubed them in my Lyman 45 with a .311 die for lube only ( no additional sizing in the lube only step ), gas checked them with .014 " al checks made with Pat's g/c making tool. Loaded them with 16.5 grs. 2400.

If you're a " rookie " and new to casting rifle boolits and you keep hearing the phrase " bore rider " and don't know exactly what that means, this 1st photo below of the round chambered in my 30 / 06 and removed for the photo may shed some light as to what this phrase really means. Look closely at the barrel lands engraving the nose of the bullet when the round is chambered.

BTW....the nose on these mikes .301 " and the bands mike a very concentric .311".

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/SAECO%20%20301/002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/SAECO%20%20301/006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/SAECO%20%20301/001.jpg

geargnasher
11-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Looks like a perfect fit, Ben.

I like to tumble-lube my bore riders with thinned liquid Alox or Recluse lube to help prevent abrasion leading of thr noses on that first engrave. After tumble lubing one thin coat and letting them dry, I lube/size/check with Felix lube in a sizer to fill the grooves.

Gear

Ben
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Gear :

I'll take a Q tip and run a thinned coat of LLA on the nose. That shouldn't hurt anything and like you say would most likely help minimize or eliminate any leading on the tops of the lands in the barrel.

Ben

Recluse
11-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I normally install the gas checks using a Lee push-through sizer of appropriate diameter, then tumble-lube lightly, then run through my Lyman 45 with an oversized die for lubing purposes only, then load.

It's worked out pretty well for me.

:coffee:

Bass Ackward
11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
That's a nice fit.

Maven
11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
All, That bullet was once known as the Cramer, later SAECO, RG-4 and had a well deserved reputation for accuracy. The only criticism I read of it was that it didn't carry enough lube for high velocity shooting, but that was before liquid alox became available.

Ben
11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Maven :

I don't " hot rod " my .30 cal. cast rifle boolits , so that should not be a problem for me. ( velocity limitation of the RG - 4 ? )

excess650
11-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I've been shooting that bullet in a couple of 30-06s and a 7.5x55 Swiss. My older Remington 700 likes 29gr AA5744 in RP cases, "sized" .311" and lubed with LBT Blue. I've shot them until the barrel was too hot to touch, but it remained accurate at 385m and 500m. Like yours, mine casts .301"x .311" and very round. One of my K31s has a worn throat and my bullets and ammo look like your '06 round pulled from the chamber. Neither of my '06s engrave the nose that heavily, nor does my Marlin 336CB 30-30.

lwknight
11-09-2010, 09:32 PM
That is a true bore rider. If it were a common ogive and diamater , you would never get the bolt closed.

Buckshot
11-10-2010, 12:39 AM
http://www.fototime.com/D803E8E9179AA95/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/5906A5ACE42B37D/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/28B6E8386910EEF/standard.jpg

............I like to TL all my bore riders with thinned LA. I figure if it's supposed to slide along the lands, might as well be lubed :-) It also makes a material difference in the effort to engrave the nose. Notice in the Left Photo that Lyman 311284 is WELL engraved. The Lee C312-155-2R next to it. Middle photo The Lyman 314299 in the 7.62x54R. Right photo The Oldfeller 6.5mm CM in a 6.5x55 Swede.

..............Buckshot

870TC
11-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Always liked that RG-4 Mold from Saeco, Wonderfully accurate in many 30 cal rifles I have shot it in. Never had any leading, while using it with LBT.

Von Gruff
11-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I dip lube the nose of my bore riding boolits in thinned lla after they are loaded and hang them nose down in a rack I made with holes bored to let the cartrudge rest on the shoulder. This dip lubing after loading means there is never any lla buildup in the neck or seating stem of the die which if not attended to semi regularly can alter the seating depth.

Von Gruff.

Maven
11-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Ben, I don't hot rod any of my loads, cast or jacketed. For the former, I try to keep the velocity to 1,750 fps, especially in the '06. However, I once tried E. H. Harrison's suggested load of 34 grs. IMR 4064 with the RG-4 (instead of #311284) and got significant bore leading and miserable accuracy. Recoil was a bit "vigorous" as well. Perhaps my alloy was too soft, but I wasn't at all happy with the outcome. In retrospect, I should have thought to smear the noses with liquid alox, but alas, I didn't.

Ben
11-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Those are about the speeds that I shoot also Maven....

Best to you,

Ben

Bret4207
11-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I have an RG4 that's just a smidge smaller than I'd like, around .299x.307. Probably won't do so well in standard .30's, but should do fine in my K-31.

kirb
11-10-2010, 07:19 PM
what do you thin the lla with?

Kirb

Maven
11-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Bret, I had an almost new Cramer RG-4 that also cast too small for my '06. I beagled it, which worked perfectly, but the CB's weren't attractive at all.

kirb, I use liquid alox straight from the container. However, when I need to dilute it, I use mineral spirits (paint thinner). Lately, pure mineral spirits have been difficult to find due to EPA regulations about hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

HangFireW8
11-10-2010, 10:21 PM
kirb, I use liquid alox straight from the container. However, when I need to dilute it, I use mineral spirits (paint thinner). Lately, pure mineral spirits have been difficult to find due to EPA regulations about hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

You got that right. "Low odor" and "Green/Eco" mineral spirits have WATER in them, which makes them piss-poor for thinning LLA. It takes longer to mix and then forever to dry out.

The industry LOVES going green. Imagine having a license to thin your product by 30% water and charge the same or more for it!

-HF

PS I just picked up "closeout" 100% mineral spirits at Sears, 70 cents a quart, now you know why...

XWrench3
11-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Lately, pure mineral spirits have been difficult to find due to EPA regulations about hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

that is rediculous. what's next, no one can recreation shoot, because the gunpowder causes to much carbon in the atmosphere? GET REAL! look at where the big amounts of hydrocarbons come from. INDUSTRY! yes, automobiles also have a big impact. but have you ever noticed, there are NEVER any featured news articles about how some industrial plant has updated their facility to drasticly reduce their carbon foot print? the reason is our government allows these giants to continue polouting the same way as alway, by simply paying a fine. if it is way cheaper to pay a fine, than clean up their act, they are going to keep polouting. far to many corrupt people in to many high places to ever get things really straightened around in this country. sorry, i didnt mean to hijack the thread, just letting off some steam. which has no carbon footprint!

whisler
11-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Actually the largest sources of hydrocarbons (not pollutants in general) are natural. A study by the National Academy of Science for the EPA and Dept. of Energy found that controlling hydrocarbons to reduce smog was not effective because 70% of hydrocarbons come from natural sources, like pine trees. They recommended that oxides of Nitrogen, which come from manmade sources predominantly, were the thing to control. EPA didn't like the study because it contradicted their established protocol, so they never had it published. So much for scientific integrity and govt. agencies.
NAS published it themselves, 550 pages.
Now my rant is over, too.