PDA

View Full Version : This might be my best batch yet

ScottJ
11-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Have been casting a bit over a year and I was thrilled with the results I was getting tonight.

Certainly the shinest I've ever done. Usually I get a duller gray color.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-09-2010, 08:11 AM
They look great! Can you tell what you did to make the difference?

x101airborne
11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
man, that's awesome!! Im new too, and i usually get the same gray color. When you get results like that, you have everything just right. I keep a little journal for alloy, melt temp, etc. When i get really good boolits, i know what the change was that caused it. i have even gone so far as to heat the melt and mold, set everything down, spit in both hands, turn around three times, stand on one leg, and cast alternating front to back cavaties on a six pot mold. know what? my mold was too hot and needed time to cool off. had nothing to do with the spit on my hands or me looking like an idiot.

ScottJ
11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
They look great! Can you tell what you did to make the difference?

I think it's temp and/or amount of tin.

I dialed the temp back on the pot and to my WW I added almost 2 ounces of lead-free solder.

I cast straight WW for the longest time then I started trying 1 oz solder per pot full.

I normally run the Lee pot at 5 or slightly more with this Lee mold. This time I ran it a bit under 5 (I really need to get a thermometer).

I'm pretty sure temp was a huge factor because as I would really get to cranking them out they'd start to get duller so I'd take a break and return sprues to the pot. But without the extra tin from the solder I don't think I'd have gotten good fill from the temp I was running.

WILCO
11-09-2010, 09:16 AM
i have even gone so far as to heat the melt and mold, set everything down, spit in both hands, turn around three times, stand on one leg, and cast alternating front to back cavaties on a six pot mold.

That's known as voodoo magic in the realm of reloading and accuracy. [smilie=s:

ScottJ
11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
That's known as voodoo magic in the realm of reloading and accuracy. [smilie=s:

There may have been some good karma involved with this as I'm casting up a batch to use in the introduction of a new shooter next week.

Shiloh
11-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Is that the LEE .358 140 gr. SWC??

I have had very satisfactory performance from them.

Shiloh

ScottJ
11-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Is that the LEE .358 140 gr. SWC??

I have had very satisfactory performance from them.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31084685&l=c6841e8563&id=1159624218

Yes, I have been casting them for awhile.

Load 8.5 gr Accurate No. 5 in .357 and 4.3 gr HP-38 in .38 Spcl.