PDA

View Full Version : Overheard conversation: I don't clean lead, how do you like cleaning copper?

ghh3rd
11-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I cleaned my Marlin 45-70 after 50 rounds of 405gr cast air cooled WW. I was marvelling at how clean the barrel was, no leading at all, when I remembered a conversation I heard at the range.

A fellow was asking an older guy who was shooting cast boolits how he liked cleaning lead out of his barrel. The old guy replied that's all he shot, and never has to clean lead from his barrel, and asked the youhger guy how he liked cleaning copper fouling from his. The conversation was over :-)

Charlie Two Tracks
11-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I liked that. Gave me a chuckle.

TCLouis
11-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I recently ran about 250 rounds down the tube of my 7 MM Maggie FWFWL.

Accuracy did not deteriorate

No leading at the end

Dry patch down the barrel, shiny and bright.

Shiloh
11-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Fine, Be condescending towards cast shooters. There is already enough pressure on wheelweight sources.

I finally cleaned my rifle for the season, maybe a bit prematurely as the weather is still outstanding. Almost 500 rounds of cast since the last cleaning, and only a few flakes of lead. Probably from the chamber area as there was nary a trace in the barrel.

Shiloh

geargnasher
11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't clean copper. That's because after I finally got all of it out of my guns (Foul Out-II) I don't do anything that puts it back in, period.

Only have one gun left that leads, and that's only because the barrel tapers the wrong way.

Gear

XWrench3
11-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Only have one gun left that leads, and that's only because the barrel tapers the wrong way.

there is a RIGHT way for barrels to taper???

oneokie
11-09-2010, 08:10 AM

For the bore, yes.

randyrat
11-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Come to think of it, I have a new bottle of copper cleaner never opened i bought over 2 years ago. Some guys I know are cleaning copper out of their barrels every so often. More often than i clean lead out of my barrels. They shoot a few boxes of Jwords a year, I shoot hundreds of lead boolits.

NSP64
11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Earlier this year, I bought a brand new Savage Edge in 308 win. I have only shot lead and just patch it once in a while. It has never leaded.

qajaq59
11-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Bullets that fit solved any leading problems I had a long time ago.

zomby woof
11-09-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm amazed how clean the barrel is on my Garand. After a couple hundred rounds down the tube, a quick patch with #9 and it's back in the safe. No more scrubbing with solvent and patch after patch. This is assume!!

sqlbullet
11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm amazed how clean the barrel is on my Garand. After a couple hundred rounds down the tube, a quick patch with #9 and it's back in the safe. No more scrubbing with solvent and patch after patch. This is assume!!

I am still scrubbing the gunk outta my Garand barrels. Carbon build of from their last life.

I have one right now soaking in kroil. The other is really close. I haven't cleaned it since the last lead session, but I think it will be pretty good finally.

turbo1889
11-09-2010, 12:49 PM

Yes, optimally the guns bore should be slightly tighter in both groove and bore diameter dimensions on the muzzle end then on the breach end. Only a thousandth of an inch or so is needed and it should be a steady gradual transition from one end to the other. Such a bore will outshoot both a parallel bore and a bore tapered the wrong direction. Obviously, a gun with a bore tapered the wrong direction is a PITA with cast boolits and causes leading just like a revolver with throats tighter then the bore causes leading.

geargnasher
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes, optimally the guns bore should be slightly tighter in both groove and bore diameter dimensions on the muzzle end then on the breach end. Only a thousandth of an inch or so is needed and it should be a steady gradual transition from one end to the other. Such a bore will outshoot both a parallel bore and a bore tapered the wrong direction. Obviously, a gun with a bore tapered the wrong direction is a PITA with cast boolits and causes leading just like a revolver with throats tighter then the bore causes leading.

Exactly.

As an example, my Kimber Tactical Pro II starts out at .451" and ends up .4518" or so near the muzzle. If I use really soft boolits and light charges of fast powder it does ok, but I like to load full-house stuff for it. Naturally, I get leading after the first inch or so of barrel doing that. It's a trade-off with no solution but a different barrel.

Gear

johnho
11-09-2010, 05:13 PM
I love it when shooters tell me they won't shoot lead because all they get is leading. They ask me how often I have to clean my pistols and I tell them I run some choreboy down my barrel maybe once a year and that's only because it's a habit. Othewise, almost never have to clean it out. they tell me they don't believe it because all lead bullets lead barrels. I just say OK-try shooting the right diameter and walk away.

And then there are the ones who won't shoot lead because of the dangers of lead fumes. I ask them how much lead are they breathing from their primers and they just look at me. Oh well.

Ain't it fun?

john

FAsmus
11-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Gentlemen;

This is a wonderful thread!

You see for years I've maintained that a properly loaded cast bullet firearm virtually never needs cleaning, let alone leads up.

I have seen a Ruger NBH lead lightly at the forcing cone with full-tilt 454424's and then clean out perfectly with light loads and 452460. ~ clean it by shooting it ~ who could ask for more?

Then too, a recent example was when I bought a Remington M1917 with considerable jacketed fouling in the bore that needed cleaning out. I loaded 50 conventional cast bullet cartridges and by the time they were down-range all jacketed fouling was gone with them.

The only exception I have ever run into is when a cast bullet gun is allowed to sit, unfired for 30 - 45 days or longer. Then things do not go well; a couple patches of Hopps #9 and an oily patch of 3-in-one oil before storage is a good idea.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

qajaq59
11-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Ain't it fun? It sure is when your targets looks twice as good as theirs do. LOL

mroliver77
11-10-2010, 05:35 PM
When I get one dialed in I never scrub the bore after that. If it is to sit a while I run a couple Eds red patches down the tube before putting away. If it is to be stored I clean well and put alox in bore. Eds red requires 1 dry patch when getting it out and the alox treated takes a couple wet and a couple dry to get ready to fire.
Jay

HangFireW8
11-10-2010, 09:29 PM
It sure is when your targets looks twice as good as theirs do. LOL

I've finally gotten my cast loads to that point... I was looking forward to comparing targets to two Tactical Tony's at the range last weekend, but they went home without pulling their first target... one with the Mark of the Magnum, the other after being reprimanded for sweeping me with the muzzle.

Oh, well. I'll have other chances, I'm sure.

-HF

10x
11-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Yes on the exterior...

RobS
11-28-2010, 07:06 PM
the barrel tapers the wrong way.

Gear

And that plain sucks, hard to shoot that way too.

rockrat
11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Slight taper from leade to muzzle would be good. the other way, not so good.

geargnasher
11-28-2010, 11:11 PM
And that plain sucks, hard to shoot that way too.

Actually, the thing still shot J-words like a champ, just over 1" at 25 yards from a rest, but I've sworn off copper. I've also sworn off of shortened 1911 platforms with bushingless barrels that can't be swapped easily.

Gear

RobS
11-29-2010, 01:23 AM
I see you on the no copper, well unless it's a gas check, for shooting these days.

Piedmont
11-29-2010, 03:45 AM
Geargnasher, Why don't you fire lap that barrel? It isn't difficult at all. Just do it until there is no longer a taper. Your lapper bullets will cut where it is tight and coast over the looser end.