PDA

View Full Version : Interesting mold

Jack Stanley
11-08-2010, 09:39 PM
It was the first time I ever saw a H&G thirty caliber mold for sale . It was a two cavity in the number twenty style that has two lube grooves and gas check with a pointed nose . Weighing in a a hundred seventy grains , it looked nice and came with handles . What caught my attention was the selling price was within a couple bucks of the new price that Ballisti-cast charges for the same thing . The rub is they won't make thirty caliber rifle molds .

The crazy thing is when higher quality molds are offered I see the prices going for near what a new ( but unavailable ) mold would be priced at . The same doesn't always hold true when the mold in question is for pistol use .

The only thing I can guess is that high end iron mold companies are so busy they can't be bothered with expanding the lineup for customers . I'm sure though there is a very reasonable explaination .

Jack

Dennis Eugene
11-10-2010, 02:04 AM
So? You bought it Right?..... right? Dennis

Jack Stanley
11-10-2010, 10:09 PM
No , but I seriously considered it but decided not to because I have a Cramer that was very close to it in design . Had it been four cavity or more I may very well have bought it anyway because the Cramer is only a two cavity . I understand the H&G quit making rifle caliber molds in the fifties so I guess I was looking at a piece of history .

Jack

Le Loup Solitaire
11-11-2010, 01:33 AM
H&G made several 30 cals, but I'm not sure of the production dates. I have a 2 holer that is a #33 and it definitely is different. The guy to check with is our own Texas Fly Boy who runs an/the H&G website complete with pics and charts + historical data. It can be searched up here. A very comprehensive and interesting piece of work and TFB is reachable; He can and will answer your questions. LLS

Jack Stanley
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
I've seen his reference page to H&G stuff and I have it bookmarked . I still like to stop by there and see all the different molds they made . I still wish that Ballisti-cast would offer the thirty cal. in the bigger molds but hey , if they don't I'll get by . I'm beginning to look at it like it's their loss of sales not mine being recently retired hopefully I'll have the time to cast what I'm shooting . 8-)

Jack