PDA

View Full Version : Best style of .......

NSP64
11-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Hollow point to use with WDWW and 44 MAG. Deep narrow or wide shallow? Or cup point? Want to use for deer. Thanks

runfiverun
11-08-2010, 12:33 AM
deep narrow, or you'll break off the petals and the boolit will veer.
you just want the nose to mush back some, but retain it's straight line penetration.

MakeMineA10mm
11-08-2010, 12:56 AM
NSP, I plan on finding out some day soon. Just got a new chronograph and some gelatin purchased. Need to mix it up next.

I have a Lyman 358156 mould that Buckshot HPed for me. Got 4 different spuds made.

Here's a pic of my "Winchester" concave cavity:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=448

Here's a pic of the "Big Ben" HP (I came up with the idea independently of Ben, and changed the tip/bottom of the cavity, but I named the overall shape after Ben, who's quite the caster):
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=445

Here's Buckshot's version of the Cup Point:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=447

And, here's a copy of the original shape of Lyman's pin (Buckshot put a step there at the meplat to fill in the gap between the size of the opening for the "big ben" point down to the smaller diameter of the Lyman pin):
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=446

I plan on casting these out of both WW+2% tin and 50/50 Pb/WW +1% tin. These are my standard medium and soft alloys. I then plan to load them all to two velocity levels: ~775fps and ~1200fps (both +/- 25fps or less).

I postulate that the bigger HPs will work better with softer alloys and lower velocities with the reverse as velocity rises and alloys get harder.

One question for you: Why do you want to use something as hard as water-dropped WWs?

geargnasher
11-08-2010, 12:56 AM
WFN. Doesn't need to expand.

Gear

x101airborne
11-08-2010, 08:09 AM
+1, gear.... I have never seen anything bleed like a critter hit with a flat nose. straight up penetration. good for all things created by the Creator and absolutely reliable.

gray wolf
11-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Buckshot's will do the job fine. I don't like a HP that goes deeper than the drive bands.
If those petals blow off the bullet and they probly will, you wont have enough bullet to be a driving force. If they don't get broken off the bullet could wind up with so much mass that it wont be able to penetrate.
Just my thought on it all. Then again who knows, good luck in any case. and the molds look very nice.

Sam

Jack Stanley
11-08-2010, 09:54 PM
If it's any help to ya the Lyman 429244HP with air cooled alloy went through twenty plus inches of venison and bone . In that trip it skidded along six inches of neck , broke a bone going into the lungs , broke another on the way out on it's way through the shoulder blade as well . I found what was left of the bullets under the hide about as big as a nickel and probably weighed half what it started . The Hornady check was still holding on .

Had it been a solid and gone the same path , I believe it would have done the same but I wouldn't have found it because it would have punched out the skin on the off side . Either way , the critter just went down in a pile without a twitch ( good thing too 'cause I was blind and deaf after lighting that casefull of 2400 ) .

Jack

Larry Gibson
11-08-2010, 11:27 PM
No, a WFN doesn't need to expand but it kills quicker if it does. If the alloy and HP are correct the expansion and penetration will be excellent. Jack Stanley gives an excellent example and I could also with cast HPs in .357, .41, .44 and .45 caliber handguns. I've uses hard and soft cast SWCs, WFN and soft cast GC'd HPs. I've come to appreciate the better/quicker killing of the soft cast HPs.

Buck shot's cup point would be my choice with that bullet for a 6 - 7 1/2" barreled revolver but I would probably prefer the cup point to go 2/3 the depth of the nose. Cast of 1-20 or WW/lead @ 50/50 alloy in a GC'd designed bullet and pushed to 1400+ fps in a 6+ revolver they would do very nicly on larger deer. It also would be my choice, as is, for a 8 3/8 - 10" revolver or Contender barrel if I was pushing 1550 -1600 fps or perfect for a carbine pushing it at 1600+ fps.

The "Winchester" concave cavity cast of the same alloy would do very nicely on smaller deer.

"Big Ben" cast soft in a GC'd design and pushed 1200 -1400 fps out of 4 - 6" barreled revolvers would be great on 2 legged vermin and four legged varmints.

The original Lyman is too narrow and too deep giving credence to "shedding petals" or "shattering" if the alloy is too brittle.

Larry Gibson