PDA

View Full Version : Quite impressed with super glue

jonk
11-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I have a 7mm mold but no sizer. The 7mm I have (Mauser) has a bit of an oversized bore, so I figured I'd shoot 'as is'. But how to apply gas checks?

I had done this before but never extensively... I superglued them on. Then a double tumble in LLA.

Going down range to change targets I looked around on the hillside and found a few of my fired bullets. You know, the gas checks uniformly stayed in place even through firing and impacting the hillside? Noses were mushroomed or sheared off from impact, but the gas check was still there!

geargnasher
11-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I always wondered how well that worked. I've used it to retain crankshaft and rod bearings before.

Gear

Rocky Raab
11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Superglue is THE trick for anchoring shot capsules in place in revolver loads. Crimping cuts or cracks the plastic, which can result in a pocket full of shot. Just spread a single drop around the case mouth with a toothpick and that capsule will not move in recoil.

beagle
11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I've super glued GCs on .22 Hornet cast and that seemed to eliminate flyers....which I attribute to GCs coming off in flight./beagle

georgewxxx
11-08-2010, 09:07 PM
You know you guys just came up with another answer to shooting plain based boolits. Glue the check on backwards!! Near perfect for gas cutting. I've done it with big slugs in the 45-70 years ago as a joke, but it worked. Your still going to be limited velocity wise to whatever your alloy can hold up to, and only testing will determine how high that is.

rbuck351
11-09-2010, 01:22 AM
geargnasher
I have to ask. Why and where are you using super glue on engine bearings? If you have to glue the bearing shell in place, you have some serious out of spec issues.

Triggerhappy
11-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Geargnasher,

Not to mention heat dissipation problems. Shouldn't be anything between the bearing shell and the block or rod.

TH

Calamity Jake
11-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Been supergluen the old style noncrimp Lyman 41 GC's to 410610 sence forever, seems like

cajun shooter
11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
This is a little off but I think a lot of our members do other things besides cast bullets. While fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with my wife I cut myself with the bait knife as a wave hit my boat on the port side. It was not only long but deep. My wife was upset and said we have to go back in to the hospital. I looked in my bait box and there was my bottle of super glue used for bait repair. I cleaned the wound and while holding it closed my wife applied the super glue. I had a great fishing day with no problems from the wound. We started to use it for all cuts with the same results. When at the hospital I told a RN about what I did with it and she said that a lot of doctors are now using it instead of the old stich it up method. So put some in your med kits men.

Maven
11-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Wasn't cyanoacrylic cement, aka Crazy Glue, developed as a means of closing cuts, incisions, etc.?

AaronJ
11-09-2010, 11:29 AM
my wife is a CRNA and she keeps super glue in her med kit at home also. i was sceptical until i saw her use it on a cut last week worked great

2wheelDuke
11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
The super glue works great on some wounds. Back almost 10 years ago, my mom cut her head open out in the yard, she bonked it on a hurricane shutter or something like that.

I did some basic first aid and got her bleeding stopped pretty quickly. She still wanted to go to the ER for stitches. I told her that we'd be waiting for hours, at the absolute bottom of the priority list because she wasn't bleeding, and they were just going to use dermabond aka super glue to close it anyway. I told her I could do just as well but she didn't believe me.

She wasn't happy at all when all of my predictions were spot on.

Cadillo
11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Last time I took a litter of Boxer pups in for tail docking, I watched as they cut the tails and then glued the ends shut. Same thing for the dew claws. Afterwards I asked what they had used to close the wounds, and they said that it was surgical glue aka Super Glue. I now use it for all minor cuts. I wouldn't be without it.

swheeler
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I always wondered how well that worked. I've used it to retain crankshaft and rod bearings before.

Gear

I believe that would be MAIN and ROD bearings, they both run on the crankshaft. I don't think this would be a good practice though. Kinda like the old chicken nuggets commercial, "parts is parts" Now I have used it to keep the extractor in a 721 Remington, it worked, for about 50 rounds. Super glue is wonderful on my hands for those winter cracks that appear on tumb joints though!

HATCH
11-11-2010, 11:18 AM
my wife is a CRNA and she keeps super glue in her med kit at home also. i was sceptical until i saw her use it on a cut last week worked great

my wife is a CRNA also.
The stuff they use is called "durabond" but its the stuff stuff as superglue

Milsurp Junkie
11-11-2010, 11:31 AM
It is dermabond. Very similar to superglue, but is more flexible, and I believe is purer (normal cyanoacrylate do contain some free cyanide). It can be found in some supermarkets/drugstores. I use it to patch up my Vizsla after running into some barbwire fencing. It stays in my hiking first aid kit. Works great.

HATCH
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
yeah, dermabond.. LOL my memory isn't what it used to be. I have 4 capsules of it in my first aid kit.

BAGTIC
11-15-2010, 05:20 PM
You mean the heat of combustion did not melt or incinerate the glue? If powder gases are so hot they "vaporize" lead bullets how does it survive in a gun barrel.

Freightman
11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
You know you guys just came up with another answer to shooting plain based boolits. Glue the check on backwards!! Near perfect for gas cutting. I've done it with big slugs in the 45-70 years ago as a joke, but it worked. Your still going to be limited velocity wise to whatever your alloy can hold up to, and only testing will determine how high that is.
Why waist a GC punch out some coke cans and glue to the bottom of PB boolits, lot cheaper than GC's

jbelder
12-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Wasn't cyanoacrylic cement, aka Crazy Glue, developed as a means of closing cuts, incisions, etc.?

For the Vietnam War I think!

44man
12-22-2010, 09:27 AM
There must be 1000 types of super glue. Some are made for wood like model airplanes, etc.
It seems I never have one that works when something in the house breaks. Some plastics are immune to the stuff.
Heat will destroy it so it shows how little heat is on a boolit base.

x101airborne
12-22-2010, 09:40 AM
This is a little off but I think a lot of our members do other things besides cast bullets. While fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with my wife I cut myself with the bait knife as a wave hit my boat on the port side. It was not only long but deep. My wife was upset and said we have to go back in to the hospital. I looked in my bait box and there was my bottle of super glue used for bait repair. I cleaned the wound and while holding it closed my wife applied the super glue. I had a great fishing day with no problems from the wound. We started to use it for all cuts with the same results. When at the hospital I told a RN about what I did with it and she said that a lot of doctors are now using it instead of the old stich it up method. So put some in your med kits men.

While attached to 5th group 101st, we were deployed (at least once). We almost always carred Breathe Rite nasal strips and super glue. Glue the cut, secure with nasal strips. You can shower or swim with the nasal strips in place. Very field expeditious.

I also use super glue to secure shot caps in place. Was very aggravating until i figured it out.

Down South
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I've used SG a time or two to close up a wound. I learned that trick a long time ago.

Moonie
12-22-2010, 10:20 AM
For the Vietnam War I think!

Actually I always thought the same thing, but it is an urban legend:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/business/a/superglue.htm

1Shirt
12-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Been doing it with old style lyman & similar, including some that I have made for quite a few years. Can't beat sucess!
1Shirt!:coffee:

dakotashooter2
12-22-2010, 10:56 AM
I've given up on super glue.. Every time I've tried to use it my fingers stay stuck together longer than the project I'm working on.....................

HighHook
12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I've given up on super glue.. Every time I've tried to use it my fingers stay stuck together longer than the project I'm working on.....................

Funny! Me to...:veryconfu

geargnasher
12-22-2010, 04:41 PM
I believe that would be MAIN and ROD bearings, they both run on the crankshaft. I don't think this would be a good practice though. Kinda like the old chicken nuggets commercial, "parts is parts" Now I have used it to keep the extractor in a 721 Remington, it worked, for about 50 rounds. Super glue is wonderful on my hands for those winter cracks that appear on tumb joints though!

Cranshaft bearings support the crankshaft. Rod bearings support the rods on the crankshaft.

Often with aluminum rods it is necessary to adhere the bearings directly to the rods with super glue to ensure even crush, the rods sometimes warp slightly and are out of round a thousanth or two and bearings oversized on the back side are not always available, so turning the rods isn't an option. Super glue works better than bearing and mount adhesive sold by Loctite because it is thinner and will squeeze down to just about nothing when torqued. Same process for main bearings. The oil flowing through the bearings is what cools them, not heat conduction to the other parts.

Gear

MtGun44
12-22-2010, 05:59 PM
A friend who is an eye surgeon told me years ago that they use it inside the eye to
hold stuff in place after cutting, much better than stitches and do not have to go back
and take it out, somehow the body breaks it down and gets rid of it.

Bill

mrbill2
12-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't want to get super glue in my eye for sure and if you have it on your fingers, be careful when you go to the bathroom.

JIMinPHX
12-23-2010, 02:43 AM
When I worked for a company that made medical equipment, we used super glue in some of our machines because it was an FDA approved adhesive. The story that I got was that back around the '50s, it was developed to replace straight pins that were being used to hold back flaps of skin during surgery.

We had other FDA approved chemicals that went along with it too, like surface activator, set up inhibitor, solvents, etc.

That stuff works real well in applications where the items being bonded fit together well, but it does not like to fill gaps at all.