PDA

View Full Version : Group buy 45 boolit makes meat

DanWalker
10-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Got an antelope today with my 45LC blackhawk.
I was shooting the catshooter keith style group buy boolit cast from ACWW and lubed with the homemade lube 357 maximum sells.
The powder charge was the classic 9 grains of Unique, which clocks out of my 5.5"bbl at 1000 fps.
It was a VERY small yearling buck, which we mistook for a larger doe at long range. Turns out it was a lot closer than we thought. I shot over it's back with the first round, then held lower as it faced me, and hit it low in the chest and off center.
The boolit went in just in front of the shoulder joint, traversed diagonally and exitied in front of the hip. Animal stood there for a few seconds, obviously hit very hard, then turned, and I hit it a second time behind the shoulder, but high in the body. The second round dropped it. Field dressing revealed an excellent wound channel that took out one lung, and caught the lobe of the other, before traversing through the liver and exiting. Second round hit high and clipped the bottom of the spine.
Please don't think I'm posting here trying to brag. This was a small yearling, shot at what turned out to be around 40 yards. Just thought people would be interested to know how well the boolit worked.

RugerFan
10-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Congrats and thanks for the report. We love pics even of small bucks.

swheeler
10-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Dan W; great job! Using your own homebrewed slug is always more meaningful than using store- bought! Now don't go and kill too many of those Wyoming goats, wouldn't want them on the endangered species list! I was near Hanna, the Archer mine, several years ago and a real howler was blowing in, there were antelope as far as the eye could see!

DanWalker
10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Here's a pic. Like I said, he was itsy bitsy. Boolit prolly blew the spots offa him when it hit.

rugerman1
10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Nice shootin':Fire:
Just goes to show,once again,big heavy slugs don't need to be pushed at ultra-high pressures and velocity to get the job done.:drinks:

mparks
10-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Very cool!

Nice shooting and I think that's real neat stuff that you used a bullet from a group buy mould and lube from a member of the board.

Doughty
10-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Dan,

In my opinion, any antelope taken at any distance with a handgun, is a true trophy.

Congradulations!

Pop Gun
10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Dan,

In my opinion, any antelope taken at any distance with a handgun, is a true trophy.

Congradulations!

Yep. My sentiments exactly.

Now others have encouragement to try the same feat. Good thing you had lots of cover to stock close for the shot. :-D

Catshooter
10-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Very nice. And, it's my fault you had that boolit!

Make's a boy proud.

Cat