PDA

View Full Version : re-inventing the wheel - gun

XWrench3
11-04-2010, 11:34 PM
has anyone put their paws around one of these yet? http://chiappafirearms.com/product/729
it SEEMS like a good idea, i have to wonder about it.there are always plusses and minuses. pretty obvious that reduced muzzle flip is a plus. and burning you hand if held wrong when shooting is a minus. i dont have a problem with an aluminum firearm, but i dont know if the barrel is bare aluminum, chromed, or steel.

Johnch
11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
That basic design has been tryed several times that I can remember

IMO it should work

But I have never held or fired any of the revolvers of that design

John

MT Gianni
11-04-2010, 11:49 PM
The sight alignment might throw things off. I assume it would shoot to point of aim very differently @ 7 yards than at 75 yards.

HangFireW8
11-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Do I really want the cylinder gap flash that much closer to my hand?

runfiverun
11-05-2010, 12:12 AM
nevermind that, they got a 38-40 model 92. in takedown even.
and that creedmore sharps.
i am so in trouble.

Dannix
11-05-2010, 02:31 AM
I don't know about their other products, but their 22LR 1911 is "budget" quality.

That revolver design is a copy-cat, but I can' for the life of me remember the make and model they are copying.

Whistler
11-05-2010, 06:22 AM
It is not a copy.
The same guy that designed the Mateba Uniqa-6 has also designed the Chiappa Rhino.

A few testers here in Sweden have been allowed to try it.
They all claim excellent recoil control and accuracy, but it lacks interchangable front and rear sights and needs better grips. There have also been voices heard that it should come ready for full moon clips (like the S&W 625) available in the .38 Super. All tests have been in the perspective of competetive shooters (since CCW is not legal in Sweden).

The general conscensus is that it makes a .357 Mag feel like a .38 Special, even with the shorter barrels.
It might be successful in PPC and IPSC shooting events if they fine tune the parts mentioned above.

Bret4207
11-05-2010, 06:42 AM
I think it's the new front place winner in the Ugly Revolver contest. It beat out the famed RG revolver.

NSP64
11-05-2010, 07:29 AM
I used to shoot at Rilley Gilmore's (Bianci cup winner)indoor range in Tulsa in the early 80's. His brother had built an upside down barrel revolver for shooting matches with in 44 spc. IIRC

Dannix
11-05-2010, 07:53 AM
It is not a copy.
The same guy that designed the Mateba Uniqa-6 has also designed the Chiappa Rhino.
<snip>
(since CCQ is not legal in Sweden).
Yup, the Mateba Uniqa-6 is what I was thinking of. My hat's off to Chiappa bringing in the original designer. I'd be interested in why they did so, rather than just making the Uniqa-6, and what evolutionary changes, if any, the designer went for.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's CCQ?

dragonrider
11-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I hope it shoots better than it looks.

Moonie
11-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Color me odd but I kind of like it looks wise, and the lower bore makes alot of sense to me. From what I hear it is one of the reasons the Glocks feel the way they do when you shoot them. I dislike the Glock for other reasons, but they do shoot well.

mdi
11-05-2010, 10:55 AM
At the bottom of the ad is a link to instructions for proper 2 hand hold. Mebbe a lawyers' addition?

Daddyfixit
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
At the bottom of the ad is a link to instructions for proper 2 hand hold. Mebbe a lawyers' addition?

That's the first this I thought when I looked at the gun! Some of the hot loaded rounds might make it interesting! Let alone a malfunction ( double charge, squib load....) The bottom bbl looks cool but kind of messes with my head, just like my
S&W 622:lol:

mpmarty
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
It's missing the death ray! I guess an overload would turn it into a "tip up" action. :=)

Whistler
11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Yup, the Mateba Uniqa-6 is what I was thinking of. My hat's off to Chiappa bringing in the original designer. I'd be interested in why they did so, rather than just making the Uniqa-6, and what evolutionary changes, if any, the designer went for.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's CCQ?

Sorry, I meant CCW. Those keys are close together... :oops:

The main differences are that the Uniqa-6 was semi-automatic. Yes, you read that right. It had a mechanism that made every double action shot cock it back in single action.

The Rhino is basically a traditional double action revolver with the bore in line with the lower chamber.

theperfessor
11-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I could see putting in a laser in the rib above the barrel.

geargnasher
11-05-2010, 11:03 PM
At least somebody's still trying something different.

Gear

chris in va
11-06-2010, 02:37 AM
My latest gun mag had a writeup on the Rhino. In a nutshell, recoil comes straight back into the hand with almost zero muzzle flip. The writer pointed out repeated use of full power 357's could cause some hand damage.

Cap'n Morgan
11-06-2010, 01:06 PM
How'bout this one: Shoot six different calibers in one gun! (shamelessly stolen from the book, "Firearms Curiosa")

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7600/newapex.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/i/newapex.jpg/)

XWrench3
11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
GOOD LORD Cap"n Morgan, what a weird and rediculously expensive pile of , well, i will be nice, junk! how in the world, did they really expect to sell something that weird? i consider myself to be a bit odd, but that thing just makes no sense at all! it is a wonder they were not laughed right out of business! did they actually build any of those things, or was it just an advertisement trying to get interest?

Shiloh
11-10-2010, 11:27 AM
If it isn't broke, why "Improve" it??

I see no problems with a traditional revolver. Never had a problem with them.

Shiloh

Cap'n Morgan
11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
did they actually build any of those things, or was it just an advertisement trying to get interest?

X-Wrench.

As I recall it the "advertisement" was an intern joke between two friends. One would send the other anonymous letters with drawings of various bizarre colt revolvers.

Here's another one: :wink:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9826/elephantsa.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/i/elephantsa.jpg/)

Ugluk
11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Wow!
Thats amazing! Just imagine trying to aim something like that knowing the hammer will penetrate your forehead by at least an inch or two when it goes off..

82nd airborne
11-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't know about their other products, but their 22LR 1911 is "budget" quality.

That revolver design is a copy-cat, but I can' for the life of me remember the make and model they are copying.

Looks alot like a Mateba auto revolver.

hillbill
11-11-2010, 06:49 AM
How'bout this one: Shoot six different calibers in one gun! (shamelessly stolen from the book, "Firearms Curiosa")

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7600/newapex.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/i/newapex.jpg/)

lol ok this gun looks a little busy IMO. is it real?the rhino looks kinda interesting tho. kinda like a star trek pistol.i like people trying new things, didnt bill ruger start that way?