PDA

View Full Version : Need lid for dutch oven?

Jal5
11-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Since I am melting a lot of range scrap I need to come up with a lid for my old dutch oven pot. Any ideas on where I can find one-the typical oblong pot, not sure what the capacity is though.

joe

waksupi
11-04-2010, 01:25 AM
I would just look for any type of sheet metal.

WILCO
11-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Harbor freight has dutch ovens for $10.00 with a lid.........piece of sheet metal works too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=dutch+oven

jmsj
11-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Jal5,
+1 on waksupi's suggetion.
Any piece of metal large enough to cover the pot will work. A little thickness/weight will help in case of missed live round and stop it from warping.
Good luck, jmsj

Mk42gunner
11-04-2010, 10:48 AM
A junkstore skillet or cake pan will work, also.

Robert

Jal5
11-07-2010, 05:08 PM
I think I have a cake pan that is big enough in diameter and I could always put a weight on top to hold it down.

Definitely want a lid, because I melted more range scrap today and one of them popped, scared the heck out of me. A lid would have been handy!

Joe

grubbylabs
11-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Harbor freight has dutch ovens for $10.00 with a lid.........piece of sheet metal works too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=dutch+oven

You should double check your price there, it says 24.99 not 10.00 bucks. Not sure I could bring myself to use a good piece of cast iron for this.

mold maker
11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
$10. yard sale pots are also a thing of the past if they are complete with lid and bale. Used prices here are almost equal to Harbor Freights price. Wally World has a better quality pot by Lodge for about $40.
Cast iron pots have a following of worshipers that drool at the prospect of finding certain names and sizes.
Only the no name pots without lids are still less expensive. Before buying a crusty or rusty pot tap it and listen carefully to the ring it makes. There could be hidden cracks.

Jal5
11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
thanks for all the ideas.

that cake pan works perfect, and I can just put some weight on top if needed.

Joe:-D

grubbylabs
11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
$10. yard sale pots are also a thing of the past if they are complete with lid and bale. Used prices here are almost equal to Harbor Freights price. Wally World has a better quality pot by Lodge for about $40.
Cast iron pots have a following of worshipers that drool at the prospect of finding certain names and sizes.
Only the no name pots without lids are still less expensive. Before buying a crusty or rusty pot tap it and listen carefully to the ring it makes. There could be hidden cracks.

That's rite all those that use good cast Iron are heathen sinners:evil: