PDA

View Full Version : Prices on brass

blaster1
11-03-2010, 01:23 PM
HELP... I have a huge amount of empty once fired brass in calibers .223, 308, .30/06, 7.62X39 and 9m/m Luger. Also have some Military MATCH in .308 and .30/06 as well as some LR (Long Range) in .308. Due to some health issues, I have gotten rid of all my reloading stuff with the exception of my empty brass cases. I will not be selling them here and will NOT be shipping them. I'm just looking for some help in establishing some prices to sell all this stuff at an upcoming gun show (Wanenmachers TULSA gunshow) on November 13 & 14, I have searched many many web sites and found a huge variety of prices on this brass. Does anyone have any good idea as to what I should "REALISTICALLY" expect for this type of once fired brass?? Any help will certainly be appreciated.

felix
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Talk to Blue-Star at the Tulsa gun show. They buy once-fired from the ammo factories, usually in 55 gallon barrels. The largest cost is the separation of cases by caliber. You should get considerably more dollars for having them separated. ... felix

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM
What's "huge", got a number?

blaster1
11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
What's "huge", got a number?

These figures probably won't seem "HUGE" to you guys but it is a substantial amount to this little guy and these have all separated and hand counted by me.
The following are just approximate figures but the actual numbers will be more than the following:

1,775 of the .223
7,000 of the .308
540 of the .30/06
1,500 of the 7.62X39
8,000 of the 9m/m Luger.

Primed brass consists of:
460 of the .223
1,600 of the .308
220 of the .30/06

Now I am sure that I'd get a LOT more by selling to individuals rather than to the commercial buyers who normally buy it by the 55 gal bbl. or by weight. However I would sure like to see some "dealer" buy it at a fair/reasonable price. We shall see what happens at the Tulsa OK gun show.

ReloaderFred
11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Two weeks ago I took 700+ pounds of cartridge brass to the scrap dealer in the largest city close to me. They paid $1.82 a pound, if that's any help. I got tired of sitting on buckets and buckets of .40 S&W brass........

Hope this helps.

Fred

deltaenterprizes
11-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I think you would get a better price here using flat rate boxes than from a dealer.

mike in co
11-03-2010, 07:07 PM
i sell brass for a living....
i only sell once fired brass...
so that is the first question ..is it once fired....guys like some idea of what they can expect from the brass.

bulk buy dealers buy auction brass at $2-$3 a lb plus shipping....it is typically put back as reloaded ammo not brass....more money that way.

cleaned and polished prices:
i sell 308 for 12-15/100...lr at 15
30'06 at 15
223 is 70/1000...none sold in 2 months...so you could go lower and try

the 7.62x39 must be sorted by primer size.....14/100

20/500 on 9mm little market

when i buy bulk brass from a private party i start at $1 per lb and go up based on whats in the mix.......the 9mm and 223 are a liability in your mix.
and again ONLY IF ONCE FIRED BRASS....all else is scrap(45acp has a lone life most else do not)

i'd like a shot at your 7.62x39..i just built an ar in that caliber......
flat rate box from the po is 11 bucks shipped(medium)
you will get more here than from a dealer at the biggest gun show in the nation....

mike in co

THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

nicholst55
11-03-2010, 08:02 PM
If you're willing to pack and ship, you could doubtless sell at least the .308 here on the board. I'll commit to 1,000 rounds of the .308, preferably Match or LR, at the prices that Mike stated, right now.

blaster1
11-03-2010, 08:43 PM
All of the responses/suggestions are greatly appreciated but as indicated in my earlier post, I won't be shipping this stuff. For this old guy, it's really a giant pain in the rear to pack/ship/stand in line to ship and then only small lots to numerous buyers. I'll just have to take my "lumps" and hopefully peddle this stuff at the gun show even if I have to dang near give it away to get rid of it. As far as being for sure once fired brass, when I bought this stuff in various deals, I was assured that it is all 1X and only had the sellers word to go by. The major portion of it has been cleaned (not polished as polished brass was not necessary for my needs) and I removed the primers and then reprimed many of these cases at my leisure. Hey, I figured that it's my brass and I might as well at least get the cleaning and depriming stages accomplished during some cold Winter evenings. Hopefully the already primed/cleaned brass will be an attractant for some potential buyers who want to skip those steps. Here's hoping.

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Your gonna have to pack it up to get it to the show . . . and pay to set up, and stand around trying to sell it . . . mights well ship it!

Get an account online with USPS, print your own labels, they pick up at your door, no standing around, if you do it online, free delivery confirmation!

blaster1
11-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Your gonna have to pack it up to get it to the show . . . and pay to set up, and stand around trying to sell it . . . mights well ship it!

Get an account online with USPS, print your own labels, they pick up at your door, no standing around, if you do it online, free delivery confirmation!

Shawn, it's already packed in the truck, table is all paid for and I'm retired so won't mind standing (actually sitting) around B.S.ing waiting for it to sell at the show. If it were being all sold to one person/firm, I wouldn't really mind shipping it but the part of dealing with numerous people and having to make numerous shipments really turns me off. Since it's all packed in large plastic tubs, if it doesn't sell, I'll just haul them out of the truck and store the whole mess in one corner of my shed. Luckily, there is no "break neck" rush to get rid of this stuff. Probably be worth more in the future anyhow with our present Administration in D.C. but I'm sure not hoping for that to happen. Thanks.

mike in co
11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
krap if you are in co....drop by and i'll buy a bunch of the truck..i'm in aurora.....

mike in co

blaster1
11-04-2010, 10:43 AM
krap if you are in co....drop by and i'll buy a bunch of the truck..i'm in aurora.....

mike in co

Mike, that'd be fine but I'm located about 200 miles South of you (Trinidad) so we're a "little" out of range. Should be interesting at the TULSA show to see what the folks are willing to pay for my 500 empty once fired LAPUA X39 cases. I did pay right at .20 cents apiece for them and I do know that they are still in demand by serious reloaders so it'll be entertaining to see just how much they will pay for them as well as the 1X WW X39 mtys. Thanks.

felix
11-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Strange, indeed. ... felix

blaster1
11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Strange, indeed. ... felix

OK, what did I say or do that is considered STRANGE. Since I am a total noobie, I guess I need some experienced guidance. If I should not be making such posts here, where is the proper place for them?

felix
11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Tdad to Denver 200 miles; Tdad to Tulsa 600 miles. Your cost/benefit calculation is STRANGE indeed. ... felix

blaster1
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Tdad to Denver 200 miles; Tdad to Tulsa 600 miles. Your cost/benefit calculation is STRANGE indeed. ... felix

Had already planned and made all of the arrangements for the trip to Tulsa many months ago, to get rid of some other shooting related stuff and taking this brass along won't be costing much more in fuel costs. Figure it out.

felix
11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
OK, sorry. Did not consider the trip is considered by you as entertainment. That's a whole different ballgame where nothing makes dollars and cents, but looses both substantially. ... felix

blaster1
11-04-2010, 12:31 PM
OK, sorry. Did not consider the trip is considered by you as entertainment. That's a whole different ballgame where nothing makes dollars and cents, but looses both substantially. ... felix

Yeah felix, I don't golf, go to fancy restaurants or toss much money around but do enjoy attending the Wanenmachers TULSA gun show as kind of a dual purpose trip to not only to get rid of some of my much unused stuff but also to visit with some old friends and acquaintances. So yes, I guess it is probably considered by some to be merely a trip for entertainment. Hey, I do enjoy it and it's a fun trip and hopefully I can get rid of enough stuff to cover expenses - if not able to do that, I'll just consider my money was well spent on my type of "entertainment".
Thanks felix, I hope you have a great day and an even better weekend!
Bob

Milltown353
11-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I'd be interested in several thousand rounds of .308 and x39, let me know if your interested.

felix
11-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Way to go, Bob.. ... felix

blaster1
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks felix. Just one more thing before I close out here. I noted that you are located around the Ft. Smith AR area. The name of that City brings back some real memories. I took basic training in the U.S. Army way back in June of 1955 at the training facility then known as Camp Chaffee, AR. Wow, that was a LONG time ago and yeah, that does make me an OLD coot!:grin:

The Double D
11-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah felix, I don't golf, go to fancy restaurants or toss much money around but do enjoy attending the Wanenmachers TULSA gun show as kind of a dual purpose trip to not only to get rid of some of my much unused stuff but also to visit with some old friends and acquaintances. So yes, I guess it is probably considered by some to be merely a trip for entertainment. Hey, I do enjoy it and it's a fun trip and hopefully I can get rid of enough stuff to cover expenses - if not able to do that, I'll just consider my money was well spent on my type of "entertainment".
Thanks felix, I hope you have a great day and an even better weekend!
Bob

Bob,

Selling any cannons?

felix
11-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Chaffee is no longer a full-time military base. Operations were moved to Polk, straight south of here about 300 miles. Chaffee is now being converted to a heavy industrial park, slowly but surely. A windmill plant (Mitsubishi) is now being built there. ... felix

sundog
11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Blaster, do you know where your table is located? Kinda tough searching "10 acres under one roof" for a single table. I'll come by and visit..., and maybe buy something. See you there.

blaster1
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Hey there sundog. Yeah, I do know where my table is located. It is on the lower level and the table designation is 12LC12. See you there and do bring plenty money and (as you must already know) be sure to wear your most comfortable walking shoes.:smile:

blaster1
11-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Bob,

Selling any cannons?

Doug, I am considering it but the big issue is having room to display them. I'll catch you on the other site since I am still a noobie here and don't want to do much talking about selling until I have completed my 30 days probation period which is required before I can post anything in the FOR SALE/SWAP section on this great Cast Boolits site.
Thanks DD.

Bob (Also retired)

HORNET
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Actually, Bob, it's 30 days OR 25 posts. You're halfway there. I believe the moderators are capable of making exceptions to these conditions as well. Try a P.M. to one of them.

blaster1
11-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey thanks Rick/HORNET. Naw, I'll just bide my time and in less than two weeks, I'll be authorized/able to make posts down in the proper Sell/Swap section. I do appreciate your suggestion. Sure is nice to have access to such a friendly web site!!

blaster1
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Well, this is my 14th post so I'm better than half way to be able to post some stuff down in the For Sale/Swap area. However, I hate to make meaningless posts only to get the post count up - I guess like I'm doing right now.:roll:
After the Tulsa gun show in another week, I will probably have some remaining brass to sell off.

HORNET
11-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Boosting your post count on here is not necessarily a problem, Bob. Check out this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=88733
Or this one (if it stays in one place long enough...)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95311 (note that the name may change to protect the guilty)

sundog
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Blaster, probably see you there on Sunday. Saturday is our regular military bolt match and hunert yard small bore, if it is not weathered out.

blaster1
11-05-2010, 08:12 PM
if it is not weathered out.

sundog, it seems to rain every time I have been down to the Wanenmachers Tulsa gun show. Maybe this time it'll be sunny, dry and temps around 75 degrees.

The Double D
11-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Bob,

I would like to reserve the right to buy back the mortar I built/sold you.

You can post your cannons on the cannon classifieds over on the other board right now. No waiting and hungry cannon shooters with fat wallets over there.

Tazman1602
11-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Hey WELCOME to the forum Blaster first off, second off,

good luck at the show -- I hope you sell it all................but..............if you don't and you do decide you want to sell some I'd be interested in several hundred each of 308 and 30-06 and maybe some 9mm.

If you need help figuring out how to package and ship, there's a lot of us here that do that on a regular basis and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be willing to help out with suggestions.....<GRIN>

GOOD LUCK and stick around man!

Art

These figures probably won't seem "HUGE" to you guys but it is a substantial amount to this little guy and these have all separated and hand counted by me.
The following are just approximate figures but the actual numbers will be more than the following:

1,775 of the .223
7,000 of the .308
540 of the .30/06
1,500 of the 7.62X39
8,000 of the 9m/m Luger.

Primed brass consists of:
460 of the .223
1,600 of the .308
220 of the .30/06

Now I am sure that I'd get a LOT more by selling to individuals rather than to the commercial buyers who normally buy it by the 55 gal bbl. or by weight. However I would sure like to see some "dealer" buy it at a fair/reasonable price. We shall see what happens at the Tulsa OK gun show.

blaster1
11-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Bob,

I would like to reserve the right to buy back the mortar I built/sold you.

You can post your cannons on the cannon classifieds over on the other board right now. No waiting and hungry cannon shooters with fat wallets over there.

Doug, sorry to say that the little mortar that you build and sold to me has already been sold to a Doctor up in Colorado Springs. Guess I should NOT have let him see it as he just had to have that little shooter. I'm actually in no hurry at all to part with my other two larger mortars (one by SBR and the other by Dominick) and the one-inch SBR built Dahlgren. One of these days before too long, I'll probably be posting them for sale along with the molds for the ball projectiles for each of them - on that other site. Thanks DD.

blaster1
11-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey WELCOME to the forum Blaster first off, second off,

good luck at the show -- I hope you sell it all................but..............if you don't and you do decide you want to sell some I'd be interested in several hundred each of 308 and 30-06 and maybe some 9mm.

If you need help figuring out how to package and ship, there's a lot of us here that do that on a regular basis and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be willing to help out with suggestions.....<GRIN>

GOOD LUCK and stick around man!

Art

Thanks Art for the welcome. It's great to have access to such a nice web site. I do hope that I can sell the "whole shootin match" but time will tell. I figure if I price em at an almost give away, some kind soul may take everything including the plastic tubs that I will haul them to Tulsa in.
IF I do have to bring some home, I'll make some post in the Sell/swap section here and see what happens. Of course a good number of them are already primed and ready to reload so I will only sell them FTF as I don't want to mess around with Haz Mat restrictions. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
Bob

The Double D
11-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Doug, sorry to say that the little mortar that you build and sold to me has already been sold to a Doctor up in Colorado Springs. Guess I should NOT have let him see it as he just had to have that little shooter. I'm actually in no hurry at all to part with my other two larger mortars (one by SBR and the other by Dominick) and the one-inch SBR built Dahlgren. One of these days before too long, I'll probably be posting them for sale along with the molds for the ball projectiles for each of them - on that other site. Thanks DD.

Wow, somebody besides you and me liked that mortar--Cool.

http://www.fototime.com/FFD16716B2966C2/standard.jpg

You should tell him where to get steel golf balls.

blaster1
11-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Wow, somebody besides you and me liked that mortar--Cool.

http://www.fototime.com/FFD16716B2966C2/standard.jpg

You should tell him where to get steel golf balls.

I'd gladly tell him but I lost contact with him. May still bump into him sometime though.

The Double D
11-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Bob,

You are almost to the Magic number 25....since the golf ball gun is gone...I what first bid on the Dahlgren then!!!

blaster1
11-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Doug, you mean this little jewel and please note the empty powder can to show scale:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/bobjan/Korkcannon006.jpg

Nice thing about this one is that is it equipped with a brass "slap hammer" and can still be fuse fired since a fuse will easily go right down through the nipple to the charge. When it comes time to get rid of this one, you'll be the first to know.
There, I mentioned BRASS (slap hammer) so this post should still qualify for this brass thread.

The Double D
11-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Yep that is the one!!!!!!

I have pictures also...

http://www.fototime.com/9ECA0695E083DD7/standard.jpg