PDA

View Full Version : Some 200 RN's through the Rossi M92 357

Buckshot
11-03-2010, 02:36 AM
.............I'd loaded these 4-7-10 and finally got around to shooting them :-) Our local range has been closed for almost 2 years now and the one I have to use is 80 miles round trip, and not as nice. Oh well. The Rossi M92 in 38/357 I have is the standard 20" round barrel blued version. I didn't have to take it apart to smooth it up as it was nice as received. In fact I haven't bothered to slug it yet either.

The boolit was the Lyman 358430, 200gr RNPB and was cast of 11 bhn alloy and loaded in R-P 357 mag cases with W-W LP primers. The boolits had been tumble lubed first as I'd planed on using them in my Victory Model S&W. Since I was going to use them in the longer barrel of the rifle, the lube grooves were filled with Javalina.

The boolits were given a cursory visual inspection as I pulled them from the box before lubing. They were sized .359" which means they were barely touched by the die. The powder was dispensed from a Lee Perfect powder measure. The rifle was shot benched, targets at 50 yards and the issue sights were used. Ten rounds were fired into each target, except for the first (7.0grs) as 3 were used to get on paper.

http://www.fototime.com/1CAD32BF9DBCB1F/standard.jpg http://www.fototime.com/CC1315B48EA271C/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/FE274C105EDE69E/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/CF26BDE525BD7D3/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E1B611DC28EEEAD/standard.jpg

Somehow or the other I think I must have gotten the 8.5 & 9.0gr load in the box backwards as I can't see 8.5grs averageing 1526 fps and 9.0grs doing 1383 :-) I would have been pretty happy to have gotten a couple 2" groups. The 7.5gr load came closest and they all were blessed with at least 2 leakers which ruined what otherwise might have been fairly acceptable results (for the reloading effort expended).

As I was using the issue sights I used a 6 o'clock hold on the bull. The 'Off the bench' part was the forend on a rest and the butt supported on my shoulder. The only 'entertaining' group was the one I have labeled as the 9.0gr load, and is really the 8.5gr most likely. It has 4 sets of doubles and 2 singletons. But since I wasn't looking through the scope at each shot I don't know in what order they occured.

After the first couple groups I thought there might be some leading going on, but I had no way to check, and an inspection at the muzzle showed the bore 'Lube Dark' with a lube star on the muzzle. At home the next day I paid close attention as I ran a soaked patch downbore form the muzzle. It was as smooth as you please until a couple inches from the chamber where it became draggy. Checking out the patch showed a few slivers and flecks of lead. The 2nd patch was noticeably easier with only a couple flecks. The 3rd patch was as smooth as could be and no lead visible.

The barrel of this rifle is remarkably easy to clean. After those 3 solvent (Hoppes #9) soaked patches I used a bronze brush for maybe 10 round trips, 2 patches and then another 10 or so round trips and the first patch afterwards was discolored only by the solvent.

I have the Lee GB version of the 358430 design, and it has a GC instead of being a PB. I haven't cast with it yet, but should asn give it a whirl in the Rossi.

...................Buckshot

missionary5155
11-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Good morning
Loose of a range is no fun...
Our club had the old NG range for years until some New neighbors filed a petition...
Those Rossi Rifles can do some fine shooting with a good load.

fecmech
11-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Buckshot--Go to your local glass dealer and have him cut you a couple pieces of mirror glass 1/2" wide and about 5 or 6 inches long. I got 2 in case I broke one in the future! Glue or tape them to a piece of wood or plastic and you can easily check the breach of any lever gun without disassembly. Just hold the muzzle up to the sky or any light source, mine works great!

Ps. If you want a real surprise load the Lee 9MM 121 TC bullet over about 4.5 grs of BE or 5-5.5 of 231. Those Rossi 30" twists love that boolit.

colonelhogan44
11-12-2010, 02:36 AM
I'll second the 121 TC recommendation. That's what I shoot 90% of the time, on top of 5.5 grains of green dot.
Supreme.

looseprojectile
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
I have an old pre safety saddle ring carbine.
I have found that the faster I load them the more accurate they are.
I have the SAECO 180 grain RNFP gas check and the Ranch Dog 190 grain boolits.
I size and check in a Lee push through at .360" and lube with Alox and a coat of wax.
The bore is really slick and easy to clean.
Have used H110 and 2400 almost exclusively.
This little gun shoots way better than I can hold.

Life is good

wrangler
11-12-2010, 06:07 PM
From what I've seen of those Rossi rifles ,the more they are shot the better they get.My daughter has 4 and my son 1 and I'm buying one. I've had to do all the loading for the kids rifles and found diameter is the most important and they don't seem to like hard boolits.
I do agree that they seem to like a bit of speed.
jim

colonelhogan44
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
...they don't seem to like hard boolits.
I do agree that they seem to like a bit of speed.
jim

Mine seems to like the hard stuff.
The love of speed is probably due to the 1 in 30 twist. I really want to get my hands on a 180 grain mould so I can try out some heavy stuff. Mine really likes 180 grain XTP's...

Landric
11-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Mine seems to like the hard stuff.
The love of speed is probably due to the 1 in 30 twist. I really want to get my hands on a 180 grain mould so I can try out some heavy stuff. Mine really likes 180 grain XTP's...

Swede may have just the thing for you if you hurry:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=98147

colonelhogan44
11-15-2010, 11:13 PM
That mould would be wonderful, but I'm broke like everyone else. I'll just have to keep using the 158 RF that I have. Someday maybe Lee will make a 180 grainer, but until then you work with what you have.

9.3X62AL
11-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Rick--

Those are some pretty strident velocities in a long barrel with a plain-based boolit. I would be pretty tickled with those groups from a levergun.

Doughty
11-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Buckshot,

Did you single load them or shoot from a full magazine?

Buckshot
11-19-2010, 03:00 AM
Buckshot,

Did you single load them or shoot from a full magazine?

...............Loaded and fired from the magazine, all 10 rounds.

..............Buckshot

Doughty
11-19-2010, 10:08 AM
For what it's worth, when shooting my leveractions with tube magazines, I got best groups when single loading. But then, what's the point of having a repeater? For practical use, I found that I seldom fired more than 3 rounds, so I started sighting in with a full magazine, but only firing the first 3 rounds for group. This gave pretty good practical accuracy, and left the rest of the magazine for "what if."