PDA

View Full Version : Range accident

RugerFan
11-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I went to shoot at the local range today on my lunch hour, but my plans changed quickly. When I got to the range the only other people present was an old couple I see there quite a bit (got to be in their 80s). While I was setting up, a friend of mine dropped by and we were just talking when the old lady came up to us and said “We need some help down here. He shot himself in the hand.” The old guy was shooting a Ruger Mark II .22 and had shot his left index finger dead center and blew out the knuckle. He was sitting at his table with a stunned look on his face and I could see exposed bone and cartilage. My buddy got a clean rag for him to wrap it in while I called 911. While waiting for the EMTs to show, he related what had happened (I wasn’t watching him when he did it). He said the pistol jammed and while trying to clear it, the slide went forward and the gun fired. Obviously, his finger was in a bad position at the time. We got his finger gently wrapped and kept the old guy seated until the EMTs arrived. I cleared the pistol and helped load gear into their truck. An ambulance took him away (that finger will NEVER be the same) and police got a statement from me. Fortunately it was just his finger. Could have been much worse.

ph4570
11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
YIKES -- glad it was just a finger and that you and your bud were there to help.

9.3X62AL
11-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Poor guy. Good on ya for taking care of him like you did.

These toys and tools we enjoy so much can BITE in a moment of lax or divided attention.

Dale53
11-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I was a Major Case Claims Rep for an insurance company (I'm retired after thirty years). I came to one conclusion during that time. NONE of us is above having an accident. ANY of us can have a momentary lapse (just look at all of the auto accidents if you need proof). It just takes a fraction of a second for a real screw up to occur.

Eternal vigilance, folks, eternal vigilance...

Dale53

casterofboolits
11-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Good for you Dale!

Fred

lwknight
11-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I can imagine a lot of ways to screw up but , finger in front of the barrel is not one of them. I don't even understand how you do that without intent.

gray wolf
11-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Pat on the back for helping the gent out.

Sam

JRMTactical
11-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Yes sir, you deserve an 'attaboy' for helping the fellow out! I've had several close calls through my years of shooting, and they all change your perspective. No matter how much of an "expert" you may be, if you don't respect that firearm you can end up a casualty...or worse, hurt someone else. Good job, brother!

frankenfab
11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Poor guy. Good on ya for taking care of him like you did.

These toys and tools we enjoy so much can BITE in a moment of lax or divided attention.

+1. Good on you.

If you look at the roof over the benches at my local AG&FC range, it will sober you.

Echo
11-03-2010, 01:08 AM
+1 for the 'Attaboy'. But I would expect no less from any of the members of this forum.

missionary5155
11-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Greetings and Well Done ! God certainly can put help in the right place when needed.

RSOJim
11-03-2010, 08:01 AM
As a range officer for many years, I have never seen anyone so far have that kind of accident. I have on occasion shouted out verbal commands to lay down the firearm immediately. Then I help unload, unjam or whatever. I have 4 ranges plus the back action ranges to patrol on my shift and over the years I have seen some stupid stuff. Mostly the stupid stuff is guests that the members bring on the property. For instance, the member walks down range on a cold range to set targets and I catch the guest loading high powered rifles and pointing them down range at the member. I go plum bananas, usually the guest and member leaves the range, I make out a report and the board of directors deals with the member. Members go thru a 4 hour orientation before becoming a full fledged member and can bring guests after that, however when guests are brought the member is held responsible for the actions of that guest. As of last month we had 1,070 members. Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club near Orlando. We have a webb site.

cajun shooter
11-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I was a Narcotics Officer for over 6 years. I was involved with running (kicking doors in) 5 or more warrants a day. After leaving Narcotics and going to the FBI Firearms Instructor School and becoming a POST instructor I was shot on two different occassions. I was hit by bullet schrapnel after a officer did something stupid. One female turned towards me with her finger on the trigger of a model 65 S&W cocked into single action. This is not taught nor allowed by anyone on the range. We only teach double action firing with revolvers. I bent forward a pushed the barrel of the gun down just as she pulled the trigger.Had I not done so I would have taken a hit in my mid section. The bullet hit the concrete and sent the fragments into my face and both eyes. I could not see and was rushed to the hospital where a eye surgeron removed the slivers of lead. I had both eyes covered for three weeks. I was lucky as I only lost some vison. It can happen so fast that you can do nothing about it. It is good that you were at that range as the older couple could have lost it and not got help. Thanks for being a good person.

82nd airborne
11-03-2010, 11:23 AM
I was testing a magazine yesterday in an AR. I slapped the bolt release on a round that I had chambered probably 20 times. That free floating firing pin finaly hit hard enough to set it off and put a nice indention in my garage floor. My ears also rang. No one got hurt but my dog was not happy with me since he was sitting by me.

nicholst55
11-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I was a Small Arms Repairman (and Armament Maintenance NCO) for the Army for 20 years and have done a lot of defense contracting since then, plus I've owned guns for my entire life. I have personally only had one (1) negligent discharge in 55 years (no, it was NOT an accident), and have been around several others. Fortunately, nobody has been injured on my watch ~ but that isn't necessarily my fault!

I now live by two rules involving firearms:

1. Don't do STUPID stuff!
2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1!

It only takes an instant to make a life-altering (or life-ending) mistake.

82nd airborne
11-03-2010, 09:45 PM
2007 FOB Loyalty, Baghdad, A soldier in our phone booth was in an argument with his wife via webcam. He slammed the butt of his weapon on the floor. The M4 discharged, sending the bullet under his chin, through the top of his head, killing him instantly, with his wife and several other soldiers looking on. It pays to be safety oriented at all times. I pray that me and mine never have something like this happen.

azcruiser
11-04-2010, 12:19 AM
ALWAYS -ALWAYS remember their are two kind of people in the world those who have had and accidental discharge and those who will .Always have the muzzle of your weapon pointed in a safe direction , Think the biggest problem for re-loaders are guys who rush their production rounds per hour and end up with high primers that slam fire on the ar type guns or auto loader pistols OR revolver shooter where the high primer detonated from recoil with the frame .
People should slow down enjoy the process it's not a race.

HeavyMetal
11-04-2010, 01:01 AM
First let me give RF a big pat on the back for being a stand up guy.

Now let me ask how this guy got his finger over the muzzle? From the description it look like the guy hit the second joint on his left index finger??

Even with sloppy gun handling and a little age thrown in I don't see how anyone could get thier finger in that position to clear a Ruger 22 auto pistol.

Seriously pull out your Ruger 22 auto, unload it, and they put your left finger over the muzzle and try to work the bolt.

Ungainly doesn't even begin to describe how this feels let alone even suggest this is a natural "grasp" of the gun to clear it.

I am sadden to say living in L.A. has made be a bit skeptical of all things accidental in the shooting world.

Hope to hear from Rugerfan on a little more of this incident in the near future and, I am seriously hoping, nothing more comes of it.

However I wonder when the other shoe will fall?

Lee
11-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Yup, gotta agree with Heavy Metal. Need more info.
As a victim/perp(?) of an acidental discharge I have to agree.
1. Point it safe
2. Finger off the trigger
3. See Rule #2.

Might I hazard a guess that the majority of AD's occur with semi/auto's????
Don't seem to se many posts involving revolvers.
Maybe time for the general wake-up call on the difference between autos and revolvers????

Suo Gan
11-04-2010, 01:51 AM
When I was a kid I was told to always relieve pressure on the firing pin spring on a bolt action by pulling the trigger as you close the bolt. Of course you need to make sure the gun is empty FIRST. If I said that I thought I cleared the action one day and did my thing and my high powered rifle went off harmlessly into the ground a few feet from my tire, that would embarrass me. I don't like to be embarrassed so I guess I will say it was my cousin that did that, what an idiot! Then there was the time when I took my daddy's Colt and was finger twirling it like a fancy cowboy, if I told you it went off into the livingroom floor a few feet away from sis, that would be embarrassing too, so I guess I will say I once knew this complete idiot that did that. I am glad I am smart enough to learn lessons by others examples, and always do the right thing. MmmmmmHmmmm. At least I have not done something that stupid since puberty.

Probably why I am so completely anal retentive about shooting and firearms safety these days. Hard lessons learned. But not as hard as that old gents lesson was! I can just hear his kids now!

1Shirt
11-04-2010, 04:12 PM
We had a fatality this last week at DeSoto Bend, at a strictly muzzle loading hunt. Don't know details as they have not said if it was the shot of another, or self inflicted.
1Shirt!:coffee:

mroliver77
11-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I dont shoot my ML that much and have to retrain myself to not get body parts in front of the muzzle when loading them.
82nd, What the HELL were you doing loading/chambering the same round 20 times in the garage?? If it was a test you should have used a dummy round!!! I dont know what happened but you deserve a butt chewing. Consider it chewed!! You also have permission to do same to me next time I post about one of my "stupid" moments.
Jay

82nd airborne
11-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes It was humbling, I kept checking the primer for indentation, which is usually evedent, but apparently not always. There were definatly smarter ways to go about it. Thankyou for the chewing, probably the nicest one Ive had. I went out there with the intention of just trying it once, and kept doing it one more time. Pretty dumb.
It probably doesnt help when you take the amount of pain killers I have to take to keep from vomiting.
I definately wont do it again. Thanks.
I do have a little containment barrel in there for such purposes. I am now glad it was in there for the first time.
All said and done, it just boils down to stupidity.

RugerFan
11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Hope to hear from Rugerfan on a little more of this incident in the near future and, I am seriously hoping, nothing more comes of it.

Like I said, I didn't actually see him do it, but DID see the wound which was considerable. It happened on Ft Stewart, so I may be able to get some info from the Post Safety office at some point.

Acemedic13- If you're watching this thread, maybe you have a connection at the hospital and can get some insight from the attending physician.

-

twotoescharlie
11-04-2010, 07:08 PM
no such thing as an accident--just premeditated carelessness.

TTC

82nd airborne
11-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Two toes is right, as far as firearms go. Complacency is dangerous, I have alot of experience in that field!

snowtigger
11-05-2010, 10:37 PM
There ARE accidental discharges.
I was shooting my Super Redhawk 454 Casull when it went off immediately after I cocked it. The first thing I thought was "dumba$$, keep your finger off the trigger". Recoil kicked it back into my chin and drew a little blood.
About 5 rounds later it happened again. I thought" boy ,you really are a dumba$$!!.
The third time I was sure my finger was nowhere near the trigger, so I packed up and went home. Once home, I cleaned it thoroughly and went out into the back yard to try it out. (I can shoot here but I don't like to annoy my neighbors).
This time I used 45 Colt for the reduced recoil. A dozen or so rounds later I had another AD.
Thet sent me into the house to call Ruger. They sent me a shipping label to send it UPS to them.
They found half of the sear surface broken off. They fixed it and tuned the trigger better than any Ruger trigger I have ever seen.
The point is that you can not make the blanket statement "there are no AD's, only ND's"

merlin101
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I did a stupid move when deer hunting, I watched a nice buck slowly working his way towards me and as he got about 100 yds out I pulled the set trigger, yup you guessed it. It wasn't the set trigger I now have a nice hole in the floor of my stand to remind me about SAFETY. WOW was I surprised!:shock:

Ole
11-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I bet the poor guy felt like an idiot.

I hope his pride lets him enjoy shooting again (safely).

a.squibload
11-06-2010, 12:27 AM
A friend long ago (no, it wasn't me!) handed his loaded 44 SBH to his girlfriend who was sitting cross-legged on the floor in his apartment.
She was a skinny little thing and could be walking with a prosthetic leg now (or not breathing at all)
except that the barrel was lying on top of her leg when the round went off.
Also fortunate that the apartment across the way was vacant as the round penetrated several walls there
and ended up in the shower.
I would classify it AD and ND as he should have known better, and she had no idea what she was doing.

Is there a DD category for Drunken Discharge?
Made me think of another one, also not me!
My brother's friend was drunk and brought out his 22 rifle, waving it around.
They tried to get it away from him to put it away.
The bullet went through the wall into the closet where it tore holes in ALL his shirts.