View Full Version : Red Skelton on The Pledge of Allegiance

DCP
11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Red Skelton on The Pledge of Allegiance

LEST WE FORGET

http://media.causes.com/604250?p_id=42563578

Frozone
11-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I would direct your attention to the lack of "Under God" in his version. Wasn't in the original.

DCP
11-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892. The Pledge has been modified four times since then, with the most recent change adding the words "under God" in 1954.

MR Skelton clarified this at the end.

shootingbuff
11-01-2010, 07:08 PM
First rate!

kbstenberg
11-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I am Sorry but i am mad as hell after hearing this version of Mr Skelton's speech. Every time i have heard the original i have cried because of the beauty of his simple words. Which i also hold so important an true!
His prediction has come true. The LIBERAL WEANIES have changed the context of the Pledge of Allegiance. There for they have changed the meaning of the Pledge. My words are not eloquent enough to show my dislike to those Pompous B!!!!!!!!trs for changing what i hold so dear.
IT IS NOT RITE
Kevin

oldhickory
11-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Red Skelton was always first rate. We never missed a show. I miss him dearly, too bad t.v. has taken such a turn.

cajun shooter
11-02-2010, 08:35 AM
He went through hell about what he said at the end of his show. He had a bunch of nasty press from what was supposed to be people of the church. He would always say And May God Bless. The cruel people wrote tons of letters saying that he was not a man of the cloth and had no right to bless people. He had to have a on the tv apology saying he meant no harm and that what he said had been taken out of context. His words were "AND MAY GOD BLESS" He was a truly nice man who enjoyed making people laugh. His Freddie the Free Loader was my favorite.

blackthorn
11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Many years ago I had the honour of meeting Mr. Skelton while I was attending a Health and Saftey conference in northern Ontario. He and his group were staying in the same hotel as we were and at breakfast time seven of eight of them were in the restaurant. All through thier breakfast, Red had the whole table constantly laughing! He was truly a great natural comedian and a true gentleman!

tonyjones
11-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Did anyone notice the music? I do not know if the melody is Mr. Skelton's original composition, however, I do know that he used it to compose "Red's, White, and Blue March".
Regards,
Tony