PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag deer 240gr XTP vs 310gr Flatpoint

derek45
10-31-2010, 01:35 PM
44 mag handloads win296 powder.

I've had good success with 240gr Speer Gold Dots, these 240gr XTP's have great reviews for deer also.

Recently, I've been having fun making these 310gr gas checks, and I'm thinking about trying them for midwestern Deer.

Which would you choose for Midwestern Whitetail Deer .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/IMG_0295.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/iphonePictures206.jpg

Lloyd Smale
10-31-2010, 03:01 PM
anyone of them would work fine on deer.

Blammer
10-31-2010, 03:11 PM
ditto, either should work just fine!

but you know the cast boolit will be best! :D:drinks:

Doc Highwall
10-31-2010, 03:34 PM
The only difference is you will have more satisfaction with a bullet that you cast yourself.

frankenfab
10-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Use the boolits.

runfiverun
10-31-2010, 10:22 PM
the xtp might not open, iv'e had it happen to me.
the flat points are gonna stay flat.
i vote the flat point and it's also what i use.

btroj
10-31-2010, 10:42 PM
In the past I have used the XTP. Today I would use the cast boolit. Then again, that is all I hunt with now. Call me biased.
In the end, either will work if you do your part.

Good luck. Brad

RugerFan
10-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Cast boolit every time.

chaos
11-01-2010, 05:33 AM
the xtp might not open, iv'e had it happen to me.
the flat points are gonna stay flat.
i vote the flat point and it's also what i use.

I had shot the 240 gr XTP extensively. It was a very accurate bullet for me. I have NEVER had one expand. The non expansion is what got me to shooting cast slugs. I've used them out of carbines, saboted in smoke poles, and handguns. Same results as cast but cast is a darn sight cheaper

Chaos

Edited to add: I fail to see the need for anything heavier than 240-250 grains for taking deer or hogs of anysize. I know a lot of folks swear by the 310 gr heavies, and they might work just fine. I havent had a Hog shrug off a 250 yet though.

derek45
11-01-2010, 08:12 AM
In years past, I've used Speer Gold-Dot hollow points, 240gr 44 mag, and 230gr 45ACP/45SUPER.

these expand and work very well.

winelover
11-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Edited to add: I fail to see the need for anything heavier than 240-250 grains for taking deer or hogs of anysize. I know a lot of folks swear by the 310 gr heavies, and they might work just fine. I havent had a Hog shrug off a 250 yet though.

I feel the same way. I believe the reason so many prefer the heavies is because the increased meplat size seems to increases it's effectiveness on game. However, is the added recoil and resulting higher POI worth it? Not to mention the increased costs associated with a making a HEAVIER projectile. (i.e. more lead and usually a gas check is required) My solution is a plain based WFN or RNFP, no heavier than 280 grains. POI stays close enough that sight adjustment is unnecessary when practicing with 240 grain boolets. Recoil is easier on the shooter as well as the gun. Better yet load em down to 1000 -1100 fps, you'll still get complete penetration on medium sized game.

Winelover:coffeecom

2shot
11-01-2010, 04:42 PM
I have used both of these bullets on deer with OK results. The bullet I use the most now in the .44 mag is the Remington 240 grain SJHP. It expands on deer, stays together when hitting bone and has given me great penetration. I hunt deer in an area that has nothing big that would bite back so I feel that I don't need the big 300 grainers and don't miss the recoil either.

I had found that with a 41 mag I had much better results with a jacketed HP than the Federal 250 grain HardCast factory loads. While the HardCast killed deer I had a much better and shorter blood trail with jacketed HP's. Same results with the big hard cast 300 grainers in the .44 mag. Unless I hit heavy bone (shoulder or backbone) ribcage shots left dismal blood trails where the Rem SJHP's left good short blood trails with ribcage shots. Could mean the difference in recovering your deer if you hunt in an area that has lots of hunters around. In the area I hunt if the deer goes 3-4 hundred yards it just may end up with someone elses tag on it. The Rem SJHP's have let me put more tags on the deer I have shot that any other combination I have tried to date.

2shot

GLynn41
11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
while I shoot a .41 and .41 wildcats--- all three bullets you mentioned will work -- I prefer the cast-- never had any run any more with cast than the JHP-- I use cast HP from a Miha mold -- first year will see how they do as they shoot well --they also cast 220 lwn-- chose what you and your gun likes

derek45
11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I have used both of these bullets on deer with OK results. The bullet I use the most now in the .44 mag is the Remington 240 grain SJHP. It expands on deer, stays together when hitting bone and has given me great penetration. I hunt deer in an area that has nothing big that would bite back so I feel that I don't need the big 300 grainers and don't miss the recoil either.

2shot

I got a giant bag of those a few years ago from a friend who sold his 44

I've read that they are pretty good hunting bullets.

missionary5155
11-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Greetings
I have been shooting all sorts of critters with cast boolits for a long time. Actualy I do not remember any deer ever getting tabled without a cast boolit.
I am right fond of 50-50 GC or PB in my 41 Mag, 375 Supermag 45 Colt revolvers and will one day pop a corn cruncher with my 414 Supèrmag revolver.
In my 41 Marlin I use the same 50-50 mix as well as my 45 Colt levers.
Critters get hit and that lead 50-50 pill does some nasty hole punching.
I have never found a need to go to heavier that 270 grains as those are more than enough for soft skin vegetarians.

Potsy
11-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I've shot several deer with 240 XTP's out of my old Knight muzzleloader. Granted, they run about 1700fps at the muzzle, but I've never had one fail to expand. Ranges have run from 20to 120 yards. I've only had a couple exit, and then only when the shot was a little further back than I'd have preferred and it was perfectly broadside. Usually, I'd find them under the hide on the far shoulder (most of my shots have been quartering, at least somewhat).
I'd like to shoot cast out of it, I've just not taken time to work a load up.

Back to your original question, I'd try the cast just because that 310 ought to go clear through both shoulders without loading it too stiff.

roverboy
11-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Potsy is right, you shouldn't have any problem with either bullet. I'd use the cast because it will be a lot cheaper.

2shot
11-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I got a giant bag of those a few years ago from a friend who sold his 44

I've read that they are pretty good hunting bullets.

You then have 3 good bullets to choose from. I would load all three up and see which one is more accurate and then choose that one. All three will kill a deer but being able to call your shots is more important that any slight bullet differences. Being able to take a deer with boolits you made yourself is a big + if your handloads are accurate!

2shot

derek45
11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
make it 4 good choices

I have 240gr SPEER GOLD-DOT's too.

.....and I've seen what they can do.

They shoot very accurately and I've been really happy with the effect on deer also.

But it would be fun to use the 310gr that I smelted and cast. :drinks:

Larry Gibson
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
I had found that with a 41 mag I had much better results with a jacketed HP than the Federal 250 grain HardCast factory loads. While the HardCast killed deer I had a much better and shorter blood trail with jacketed HP's. Same results with the big hard cast 300 grainers in the .44 mag. Unless I hit heavy bone (shoulder or backbone) ribcage shots left dismal blood trails where the Rem SJHP's left good short blood trails with ribcage shots. Could mean the difference in recovering your deer if you hunt in an area that has lots of hunters around. In the area I hunt if the deer goes 3-4 hundred yards it just may end up with someone elses tag on it. The Rem SJHP's have let me put more tags on the deer I have shot that any other combination I have tried to date.

2shot

2shot's results with the Remington SJHPs have also been my experience when suitable HPs of other makes are used, including the XTPs. I always get quicker kills with them in the .44 and .41 magnums. Consideration of barrel length is also important. I have found that matching the bullet weight of a a quality HP so 1400+ fps is achieved is best. Given the 6 or 6.5" barrel on the revolver shown the 240 XTP would also be my choice. On larger deer, pigs and elk I have found penetration and expansion to be very good.

While I've no qualms with using a good cast bullet in the .41 or .44 for hunting deer, elk and pigs I do not care for the heavier bullets. I still prefer a softer cast HP'd GC'd bullet that can be driven to 1300 - 1400+ fps. The combination of penetration and expansion have given quicker kills than other SWC or WFN bullets when cast hard.

All the bullets mentioned do kill deer, elk and pigs but the faster, lighter weight JHPs and GC'd soft cast HPs kill quicker. That's why I use them for hunting. I think Lymans .44 Devastater cast of 1-20 alloy and pushed at 1400+ fps is a very difficult bullet to better in the hunting fields with the 240 gr XTP, also at 1400+ fps, nipping at it's heals.

Larry Gibson

GLynn41
11-05-2010, 01:57 PM
i a glad to hear your report Larry I am trying cast Hp really for the first time this year-- I am using the Mina mold about a 196 -200 gr hp depending on the pins used- my 41/454 pushing them at 1660 -- I can go a lot higher but have not tried with this soft alloy

nighthunter
11-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I've taken several deer with the 240 gr XTP bullet with great success. The most memorable was a large doe standing at 40 yards looking straight at me. I shot her with the 44 Mag high on the brisket. She continued to stand there looking at me and I was beginning to think I might have missed her. I was just getting ready to shoot again and she fell over stone dead. The 240 XTP exited the hind quarters and ruined a lot of meat. For the last 7 or 8 years all my deer have been taken with cast bullets. In 45-70 I like Lyman's 457122 at about 1600 fps. In 30-06 I have several good bullets from 155 gr up to 170 gr. In my 44's I have been haveing fantastic results with Mihec's 44/444 300 gr GC HP. Took 2 deer with that bullet last year and never before have I seen similar internal damage as what that cast bullet caused. The lungs were shriveled up to about the size of my fist and black and wrinkled. In one deer the diaphram did not exist. My alloy for hunting bullets is 50% WW and 50% range scrap. This alloy allows the bullet to expand and hold together when expanding.
Your 310 gr GC bullet with the large meplat will work very well if you cast it with a similar alloy. Large meplat bullets will expand. You can also put a piece of paper between the mold halves before closeing the mold and have a bullet as good as any hollow point. This allows the nose of the bullet to roll back on contact in opposeing directions. Creates a lot of damage but doesn't interfere with the bullet flight.

Nighthunter

Larry Gibson
11-06-2010, 12:05 AM
i a glad to hear your report Larry I am trying cast Hp really for the first time this year-- I am using the Mina mold about a 196 -200 gr hp depending on the pins used- my 41/454 pushing them at 1660 -- I can go a lot higher but have not tried with this soft alloy

$1/454? Sounds interesting, any pictures?

BTW;1660 fps with a 196-200 gr HP bullet should do nicely.

Larry Gibson

white eagle
11-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Nighthunter
that sounds very interesting
could you explain more bout the paper
sorry for the redirect

nighthunter
11-06-2010, 03:32 PM
white eagle .... you put a piece of paper between the mold halves covering the nose area of the mold. The piece of paper should cover about 1/4 to 1/3 the bullet length. Close the mold and pour the alloy as normally done. The alloy hardens quickley and the paper is not burned. After the bullets cool remove the excess paper from around the bullet nose and size as you usually do. I use printer paper cut into strips about an inch wide. Remember that the piece of paper in the mold will give you an out of round bullet so the thinner the paper the less out of round your bullet will be. Your mold should be up to casting temperature when you insert the piece of paper. Do not place the paper so that it interferes with the allignment pins. This is very easy to do. A lot easier than it sounds. Let me know if you have any more questions. I hope my explanation is understandable.

Nighthunter