PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette bullet? Along w/LBT group buy

357shooter
10-31-2010, 10:13 AM
OK, so I've just discovered an outdoor range not to far away and they do IHMSA Silhouette shooting each month. I'm looking at Field Pistol with my 6 inch 357 Taurus 66 & Red Dot. I've never done this before, all my shooting is indoor with 25 yard max.

Looks like FP has lighter silhouettes and takes place at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. I can't even see that far!

I'm looking for some general advice, just want to go and shoot my cast handloads and have some fun. Not looking to become world champ.

First question: I'm also thinking of the LBT group buy going on. Would the 140, the 160 or the 180 all work, or which would you buy to go Silhouetting. I'm note even sure the 180 will fit into a revolver....

Second question: Assuming one of these would work well, suggestions on loads? Does this required max mag loads with H110 or 2400 or is midrange to light good?

Third question: My current favorite mould is the NOE 358429 168 grain group buy mould. It's actually dropping at 173 and my gun loves it. Any load suggestions for this boolit for silhouette shooting?

I was interested in getting an LBT at some point, with a discount this would be a good time. The group buy is up tomorrow so time is short, sorry about that. I did post this to Veral/LBT but he must be tied up as he hasn't replied in the past few days. He does get busy, which is a good thing!

What do you think?

runfiverun
10-31-2010, 10:24 AM
the one you have now is heavy enough to tip over silhouettes at 100 yds.
i use a 158 rnfp in my levergun at about 1,000 fps and it will tip a ram, when i can hit it.
i'd just shoot a medium load and worry about finding your sight settings.

357shooter
10-31-2010, 11:28 AM
the one you have now is heavy enough to tip over silhouettes at 100 yds.
i use a 158 rnfp in my levergun at about 1,000 fps and it will tip a ram, when i can hit it.
i'd just shoot a medium load and worry about finding your sight settings.

Thanks, you just told me everything I needed.

Having never shot 100 yards, or even 50 yards, it seems kinda far away. The little red dot that is so precise at 15-25 yards may just cover up the entire target. Probably sounds crazy to the rifle guys and any handgun guys that shoot over 100 yards all the time.

missionary5155
10-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Greetings
+1 on what Run said
The 100 yard targets are not heavy enough to be of concern.
Find your absolute MOST accurate combo and go with that. I would be looking for a FAST load so it is a flat shooter at 100... 140 GC grains and heavier will do.

crabo
10-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks, you just told me everything I needed.

Having never shot 100 yards, or even 50 yards, it seems kinda far away. The little red dot that is so precise at 15-25 yards may just cover up the entire target. Probably sounds crazy to the rifle guys and any handgun guys that shoot over 100 yards all the time.

As the distance increases, you will find that you may need to set the red dot on top of your ram's back, depending on the size of your dot, or hold over.

I sight my dot for dead on 50 meters. This gives me a 6 oclock hold on the chickens, a dead on for pigs and a high hold on the turkeys with the ram hold dependant on the dot size.

See if that works for you.

357shooter
10-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks miss and crabo, this sounds like fun and now that it's nearby... My wife is ready to check it out too.

I know that going from10 to 25 yards mattered and changed things up a bit. So I'll take the what y'all have said go shoot some chickens and pigs, well, shoot at them anyway.

Thanks again guys.

crabo
10-31-2010, 02:52 PM
I think you will find out that shooting pistol at longer ranges is a lot of fun, even more fun than close, once you start hitting.

44man
11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
IHMSA has 50# rams at 200 meters. You will need a HEAVY boolit and will still lose a lot of hits that don't fall.
You can do good with a heavy bullet and velocity like the .357 Max or the .44 but the .357 is lacking so if you are happy with just hitting them, have fun but that gets old quick.

357shooter
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
44man: thanks for the info. Looks like IHMSA field pistol here is 25, 50, 74 an 100 with 1/2 size targets. Unless I'm reading it wrong at: http://www.knology.net/~gaihmsa/ and then select at the top "click here for more local information".

Planning to go this Saturday and check it out.

fecmech
11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I shoot field pistol with a K-38 and 158 rn's at 900 fps. I too sight my dot at 50 yds, 6 o'clock the chickens, center the pigs and use a high hold on the turkeys. I then go up 5 clicks on my dot for the rams at 100. I rarely loose a ram to a poor hit, a field pistol ram only weighs about 18 lbs.
Forget the energy thing and concentrate on a really accurate load combo, particularly if you want to hit very many turkeys! That's the target that separates the men from the boys.
The regular 200 meter pistol silhouette is an entirely different game requiring a heavy bullet to dispatch the ram dependably. I would occasionally loose a low hit ram to my .44 mag with the 250 gr Keith at 1350 fps. Field pistol is more of a straight accuracy game IMO

357shooter
11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the additional info. I've been working on loads for accuracy for some time so this can work out well. Well maybe.

Never been to an event, but I'm already checking the weather for Saturday...

ttyl.

bhn22
11-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Field Pistol/NRA Hunter Pistol are shot at 1/2 sized targets. NRA Hunter pistol starts the chickens at 40 yards, and IHMSA starts them at 25 yards. Heavy bullets are not necessary, even for the rams. I shot Field Pistol many years ago with 110 gr bullets, loaded hot & never had a problem. Look at all the guys shooting 32 H&R Magnums, 30 Carbine, and even 22 Hornet in these classes. The important thing is to concentrate on one stage at a time, and to have a good time.

357shooter
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Good point on the smaller calibers. Looks like November is the end of year event, they start early though. February is the first month, then every month till next Novemeber. Some months there are 2 events (2 different clubs). That's pretty awesome since a week ago I didn't know any in the area.

Google, what a good idea. I just didn't know enough to even search for it.

Thanks bhn22 for the feedback.

Kraschenbirn
11-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Back when handgun silhouette was popular around here, my pet combination for Hunter/Field Pistol was a 6 1/2" Ruger BH topped with a Leupold M8 2.5X. Shooting Lyman 358156 boolits @ around 1100 fps, never lost a ram that was hit solid. Your 6" Taurus with a red dot do just fine.

Just my nickel's worth.

Bill

jsizemore
11-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I shoot Field pistol and NRA hunter pistol with a 55 grain bullet in a 22 hornet. My iron sight load was a 115 grain boolit in a 32-20.

Accuracy is what your looking for not necessarily velocity. Some clubs will get you for target damage if you have it going too fast.

Take your gun and some ammo to your first match. It's about shooting not watching. We all had to start sometime and it's about having fun.

44man
11-02-2010, 09:12 AM
44man: thanks for the info. Looks like IHMSA field pistol here is 25, 50, 74 an 100 with 1/2 size targets. Unless I'm reading it wrong at: http://www.knology.net/~gaihmsa/ (http://www.knology.net/%7Egaihmsa/) and then select at the top "click here for more local information".

Planning to go this Saturday and check it out.
OK, that's different so your .357 will be fine.
I thought you meant the full IHMSA course.
When I lived in Ohio I went to all the shoots, even into PA, a lot of clubs held them. When I moved here there is only one club and it is a LOOONG drive, got too expensive too.
I remember at least 5 clubs back then and I could go every weekend to one somewhere. A lot of frantic reloading! :bigsmyl2:

Quigley284
11-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Prgallo, You have been given alot of good advice. Accuracy is always first when shooting IHMSA targets. I also used a 22 Hornet with a 55 gr for scope and 110 grain in 30 carbine for irons. For sure take the wife and kids if you have them. I shot this for almost 20 years for 2 reasons. First is the people involved with this sport and the other is the challenge. I always advise a new guy to just bring what you got and come shoot. If you want to do it cheap, buy a Contender, a few barrels and you can shoot most of the classes. I am sure the folks at the match will help. Just let them know its your first time. I finally gave it up when my eyes got bad but I still get the itch now and then. If I can be of any further help, just send me a PM. Good luck, Mike

357shooter
11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Accuracy works out well as that's what I've been refining to achieve for the past 18 months or so. Now to use some of that would be fun.

Thanks again everyone. Y'all have been very consistent and full of helpful encouragement.

Pete