PDA

View Full Version : Golden Boolit Award--Bruce B

45nut
10-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Golden Boolit Award--Bruce B
I would like to recommend our long-time member Bruce B for the Golden Boolit Award at the Cast Boolits site.

Bruce exemplifies what is best about the membership here--the freely given and generously shared knowledge base of MANY years' experience in widely-varying shooting venues. Talk about someone who has been there/done that........decades spent in Canada's Northwest Territories, wresting a living and recreational pursuits from a harsh and unforgiving environment. Service in Canada's Armed Forces. Representation of his home province in Canada's Winter Games in shooting venues. Subsistence and recreational hunting of large game animals in large numbers, enough to have valid real-time real-world opinions and conclusions as to what works (and what doesn't) in the game fields or under attack by aggressive species. I'll take ten minutes of Bruce B's advice over a lifetime of Facklerite Jello-Chilling and calculation, thank you very much. Polar bears don't read Fackler, and don't subscribe to Wound Ballistics Review.

That's just the foundation. Specific contributions by Bruce include his speed-casting regimen, which he has demonstrated in real time for onlookers at his Ragged-Ass Ranch. Do that bit with a 4- or 6-cavity mould, and you have a large pile of boolits in a very short time. It's not bad as an upper-body aerobic workout, either.

Another of Bruce's significant contributions to the site has been his adaptation and refinement of what has come to be called "The BruceB Softpoint Casting Method". This is a process that I have experimented with at some length since he posted the text, and it is my preferred method of creating rifle and handgun boolits specific to hunting venues for larger game. It requires no special tooling or equipment beyond what is already on hand for casting. It is a clever, effective, and affordable route to premium-level hunting boolits for our rifles and handguns.

On a more general note, Bruce's contributions are unfailingly courteous, and the deep foundation from which his texts are drawn is self-evident in their content. There is often humor included in his posts, poking good-natured fun at our hobby and the recreational pursuits allied with casting. His posts are unfailingly informative, enjoyable, and fun to read.

Last--and certainly not least--Bruce and his family (wife Karen and daughter Kim) have since 2001 annually hosted the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot in and around their home in Winnemucca, NV. This annual meeting has braved searing heat--rain--cold--even snow--and continues to be a HUGE success, growing in size each year. The king blocks in this arch of ongoing success have been Bruce, Karen, and Kim. I'm sure all three will say that the people in attendance make the occasion, and I have no disagreement with that--but Bruce and his family have made the occasion GREAT.

To close, I have had the great privilege of sharing hunting fields, fishing boats, camps, bad weather, long drives, and perhaps a few too many adult beverages with Bruce. I have yet to meet a storyteller that can outdo Bruce as to quantity of tales or quality of content--that alone makes a meeting of NCBS worth the trip. I am proud to call Bruce a friend. In every respect, Bruce is deserving of this recognition.

Allen Paine
Ridgecrest, CA

waksupi
10-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Another well deserved recipient! Congratulations, BruceB!

Bullshop
10-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I concur with all, congrats Bruce!

looseprojectile
10-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Bruce deserves much praise for his patience and tolerance and knowledge.
Facklerite???? Had to read that three times. I get it now.
Please lets find some way to also honor my hero Buckshot.
Both of these guys get my complete attention when they post.
There are probably a couple of dozen people here that this old hand has learned new tricks from. I appreciate them all. Also learned how not to do stuff.
Thank you all.
PS. Allen paine, You have not heard my campfire stories:drinks:

Life is good

sundog
10-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Hooah!

smoked turkey
10-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I agree with all of the above about Bruce B. I and many others have greatly benefited from Bruce's vast knowledge of the M1 and appropriate loads.

Dean D.
10-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Congratulations Bruce! Well deserved.

Recluse
10-31-2010, 01:29 AM
Absolutely!

I learned about "speed casting" from Bruce. I learned about making soft-nose lead boolits from Bruce. I learned how to convert an old van into a mobile shooting range you can take with you anywhere you want to shoot.

One of these days, we're going to put a couple of Texas Cast Boolits members in the Cessna and head out to Nevada for his Annual Cast Boolits Shoot--just to see his shooting van (he named it something in German. Only German I know are dog commands). :)

Great recipient!

:coffee:

Ajax
10-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Congratulations Bruce well deserved and long over due.

Andy

WILCO
10-31-2010, 08:28 AM
I took a few moments and learned what the heck the "Schuetzenvagen" is.
Congratulations on the award Bruce!

onesonek
10-31-2010, 08:29 AM
:drinks:Congratulations Bruce!!!

No_1
10-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Well done! I would like to congratulate you Bruce B on your receipt of the Golden Boolet Award.

Robert

chboats
10-31-2010, 10:35 AM
I have never met Bruce but he has sure has helped improve and speed up my casting, thanks.

Congratulations!!

Carl

dromia
10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
A well deserved Huzzah!

MT Gianni
10-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Congratulations Bruce, it is a truly deserved honor.

jameslovesjammie
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Congrats Bruce! I remember reading some of your postings on the old shooters.com site. You helped me lean towards the "Cast Path" back then. Even now, when I see a thread started by you I almost always read it, as I will undoubtedly learn something from it.

swheeler
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Congratulations Bruce, you deserve it!

BruceB
11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I am touched and humbled by this honor.

To be included in a group as distinguished as the people already awarded the Golden Boolit is a very great event indeed.

Whatever I've done in casting (and in our Cast Boolit "home") is largely a combination of two things, namely my own curiosity and then, the desire to write about my findings in order to expand he base of knowledge.

This site has also greatly expanded my own knowledge, and brought many of us a large number of new friends and contacts. We are all deeply indebted to Ken (45nut) for his dedication and perseverance in providing this site, and also in maintaining a level of discourse which should be the envy of every other website on the Internet.

Recent medical events have presented me with some very serious issues, the most irksome being severe impairment of my vision. I'm unsure just what my future holds as far as casting, shooting, hunting etc. are concerned. NVCurmudgeon" babysat" me for a few days in mid-August after my release from hospital, when Karen had to be out of town. Compared to my situation at that time, there is clearly some improvement both in vision and mobility. For example, I'm seeing this keyboard and monitor a good bit better...not perfectly, but better. Also I don't need a cane, which I used for a few weeks.

I returned to full-time work on September 7, and it's going reasonably well even though the vision difficulties have required some compromises.

At this point, I'm not sure about the status of the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot for 2011, at least as far as my own involvement goes. I'll try to get a decision made as early as possible and get the word out. Should it fade into the sunset, well, we sure gave it a good run for eleven years!

Thanks for the honor, and the kind comments. They are MUCH appreciated.

Bruce

11-01-2010, 06:41 PM
And much deserved Bruce, congrats!

Bullshop
11-01-2010, 09:52 PM
There is a short list of members here that when I see thier name on a post as the poster I read the post no matter what the subject.
The two recipients of this award are on that list along with a few others.
The reason I do is the same reason a person goes to his favorite fishing hole to fish, or his favorite hunting spot to hunt, because there is where you most often get something.

HORNET
11-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Congratulations Bruce. I hope that your health issues continue to improve.

45nut
11-02-2010, 11:57 AM
You are in my prayers and on my list of folks that I am proud to call friends and mentors.
This "honor" for you was easy and appropriate, may your future be as bright as your past.

mike in co
11-02-2010, 08:47 PM
not bad...for an old...... that can shoot worth a darn.........

good job

mike in co

NVWalt
11-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Very good recognition for a very generaus person. Thank you for all you have done for the NCBS Bruce and family....Walt and Jane

Matt_G
11-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Congrats Bruce.
I pray your health continues to improve.

Glen
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Richly deserved! A tip of my hat to you Bruce!

AZ-Stew
11-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Congrats, Bruce!

The first time I met Bruce was at this year's NCBS, when I was the second person to show up for the Friday evening festivities. Bruce, obviously, was first.

It's the only NCBS I've been to, and regardless of whether it goes on into the future or not, will probably be the last I'll attend. Unfortunately, it was a relatively expensive trip, in both time and $$. The only reason I was able to make it was that my wife was very generous with my 60th birthday present. I'd LIKE to attend again, but $$ may not allow it.

I have to say, the 2010 NCBS was a "chilling" experience. However the weather was offset by the warm hospitality of Bruce and his family for the Saturday evening get together. Thanks so much for the memories, Bruce. My drive up has instilled in me a desire to explore central Nevada. The ghost towns call me frequently. Maybe after retirement, or if I hit the lottery...

Best to you and the family! And I hope your healing progresses quickly.

Regards,

Stew

DanWalker
11-13-2010, 01:29 AM
There is a short list of members here that when I see thier name on a post as the poster I read the post no matter what the subject.
The two recipients of this award are on that list along with a few others.
The reason I do is the same reason a person goes to his favorite fishing hole to fish, or his favorite hunting spot to hunt, because there is where you most often get something.
Well said Dan!
I couldn't agree more.
Congrats on a VERY much deserved award!

1Shirt
11-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Yep Bruce, Like all the rest said! Congrats!
1Shirt!:coffee:

BOOM BOOM
11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
HI,
WELL DESERVED!:Fire::Fire:

testhop
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
congrats BRUCE
much deserved

MakeMineA10mm
12-13-2010, 03:53 AM
Congrats Bruce, and I concur this was richly deserved!!

PatMarlin
12-16-2010, 03:05 AM
Award kudos to a great Cast Booliteer... :drinks:

Get back to feeling well and good health soon Bruce!

http://www.patmarlins.com/1bruce.jpg

MoldyJoe
12-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Congrats Bruce, My time at the NCBS back in 09 was a true pleasure, I'm also glad my son Levi was able to come along and shoot up all your 44 rounds during the pistol competition. It was a true pleasure, I hope to see you again if we have one. Thanks, Joe

PatMarlin
12-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I forgot to add- pictured is Bruce far right, NVBill far left, and as the t-shirt says, the crazy guy in the middle.

LAH
12-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll take ten minutes of Bruce B's advice over a lifetime of Facklerite Jello-Chilling and calculation

HEE HEE

Bruce is top self for sure. Congrats..............Lynn & Barbara Halstead

ddixie884
10-21-2012, 04:01 PM
I can't think of a more deserving recipient.........