PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a mold for 338 Federal

hjustein
10-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Hello all, long time lurker here, love this place, it is great.

Need some suggestions from y'all on a project I am working on.

I have had excellent luck with the Lee 180gr mold in my 308 Win rifles, I am tumble lubing them in LLA and sizing/gas checking them with a Lee 309 sizer and am getting ~MOA results without much effort. I am also seeing zero leading at 2250 FPS and feel like I could easily push them harder. Using Relaoder 10x just because it was what I had lying around.

My question is, I want to try the same thing in .338 Federal. Has anyone tried this caliber yet? What would be a good mold to use? Lee has one mold for it, anyone tried that? Also, does anyone have a spare Lee 0.339" sizer they dont need? They dont even list that size but it never hurts to ask :idea:

Also, the barrel blank I am using will be a 1/8 twist, and it will be a 16" carbine length barrel. I am using the faster twist because I want to also be able to shoot subsonics with a suppressor. I know 1/8 is fast for cast boolits so it may not be possible to get them to work, but I would love it if it worked.

Any suggestions or advice on this project?

x101airborne
10-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I dont think your twist is too fast at all. i dont reload anything in 338 cal, but have done a lot in 284 and 308. With the slower velocity i think you want the faster twist. Especially for suppressed use, i like the heaviest boolits i can get. everyone has their own idea for powders, and maybe you have one that works, but I like Solo 1250 in my 223, 300 whisper, and 308.