PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' at a Uberti Sharps

rvpilot76
09-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Quigley model, 34" pipe, 45-70 or 45-120. Seemed to be a very well made rifle. Has anyone here shot one? I am completely new to the Sharps scene, and I'm not sure how the Uberti stacks up. I would like to use this in both formal and informal target shooting, as well as hunting; someday for 'tatonka'. Sportsman's Warehouse has them for $1550, and I'd like to make an informed decision.

Thanks for your input,

Kevin :castmine:

Buckshot
09-29-2006, 02:12 AM
.............A 34" barrel may just be a bit more then you'll find happiness with. A lot of the BPCR shooters got 34" bbls and ended up having up to 4" cut off. Fouling issues. Both powder and lead.

I have a Pedersoli Super Match Rem RB in 40-65 with a 34" octagon to round barrel and haven't had any issues, but I don't shoot BP in it either. The rifle itself and the barrel quality is not an issue. They're very well made and high quality.

.................Buckshot

Montanan
09-29-2006, 07:29 AM
You can read some information over at Shiloh forum (http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2262) the llink will take you directly to a talk on "best long range gun and why" There are many with 32" and 34" that with everything right, do real good. Pay attention to Kenny Wasserburger, VBULL, MLV and a few others who have won national championships currently and in the past. My personal rifle is a 32" barrel Remington Rolling Block, which I like and don't have any issues with.

The 45-70 is also a much better way to go if you have not been the BPCR game before, the learning curve is much easier and the 45-70 is much more forgiving. The 45-3.25" or as the 45-120 is not even historicly correct. But after you learn consistant loading with the 45-70 your can ream up to make your Quigley rifle the longer cartridge of choice.

I know from the boards many a shooter who got the 45-3.25" and hated the massive recoil and had to re-barrel the rifle because it. Also getting the 45-3.25" to shoot worth a hoot is another thing.

Its your choice and shoulder :coffee:

waksupi
09-29-2006, 10:18 AM
I'd agree with the .45-70, for the mentioned reasons, plus cheaper brass.
Once you get moved into Idaho, you may want to go talk to Dave Gullo, at Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint. He generally has some used rifles on the rack, and he is one of the most knowledgable BPCR guys around, along with being a heck of a nice guy.

Montanan
09-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Dave Gullo would be an great guy to talk to about this.....

After all he scored real good in the Creedmoor 2006 - Match report (http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1158360023)

Individual Long Range Agg - 800, 900 & 1000yds
Dave Gullo (USA)

Individual Overall Agg
Dave Gullo (USA)

Here is what Dave has at Buffalo Arms for 1874 Sharps Rifles (http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,284.html) and of course my favorite Rolling Block Rifles (http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,299.html) and of course here is a listing for all of Dave Gullo's Rifle Listings (http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,135.html)

Have a good one and I hope this helps.

KCSO
09-29-2006, 10:43 PM
I spent a summer shooting a 45-110 in a 12 1/2 pound Sharps rifle and used it on a Buffalo. At 100 yards it didn't kill any better than a 45-70. The bullet went in one side and out the other. Fot target work the gun will shoot, but I would hate to have to shoot 40-60 consecutive rounds. The pounding will give you a headache. I know you are a real man and recoil doesn't bother you (I've only said this about a hundred times myself) but it WILL. If I were making a living killing Buffalo at 400 yards I would see some use for a 45-??? but not otherwise. The Buff I dropped with a 45-70 were just as dead just as quick.

As to the 34" barrel I shoot next to a Quiley shooter and he has some carefully worked up loads, but in certian weather he will foul out in the last 2" of barrel about 5 shots quicker than I do with my 32" barrel. I don' consider this a problem so I would get the rifle I liked. I don't think the price is any bargain and I would do some more shopping before I bought at that price.

Here is a comparison for you to mull over... 45-70 Brass 20.00 a hundred 45-120 2.00 each. Dies for 45-70 0r 45-90 23.00 Dies for 45-120 (and I have a set) 110.00 add extra powder and extra lead and it will add up. My 45-110 really shot best with 92 grains of FFg and a 535 bullet. My 45-70 shoots fine with 62 grains of FFG and a 330 Gould. The Gould is an excellent deer bullet and the 405 to 450 is excellent for Buff. A 45-70 with 68 grains of FFG and a 405 bullet will shoot through the skull of a bull and the bullet will go all the way to the shoulder. On a side to side shot the bullet goes in one side and out the other.

Personaly I wouldn't go over a 45-90.

montana_charlie
09-29-2006, 11:07 PM
And...if the gun says Uberti on it...it was probably made by Pedersoli.
I say 'probably' because a few of the early Uberti Sharps guns were made by Armi Sport...but Pedersoli is making them, now.

Uberti wants in on the Sharps market...but can't build barrels that can match Pedersoli's.

So, if you see two guns at different prices, a Uberti and a Pedersoli, take your pick. They came from the same plant.
Uberti is having some rather 'plain' guns built for them, and they don't (yet) offer all of the caliber choices that Pedersoli produces.
CM

mazo kid
10-01-2006, 06:13 PM
I have a Pedersoli Sharps in 45-90 and really like it. As someone said earlier, brass is a bit higher than 45-70 (~$70/100 for Starline, or get some stretched brass from Dave Gullo) but a lot less than the longer stuff. It seemed easier to work up loads for than the Shiloh 45-110 I had earlier. The 45-70 would be a good gun to learn BPCR loading. Emery

omgb
10-02-2006, 01:58 AM
I have a Pedersoli 45-90 and once had a 50-3.25. One thing you gotta know going into this, if you do shoot the loooooong case rounds, you really need to do it with BP. These cases were not designed for smokeless and although they can be loaded to work, it's rarely the best. Ringed chambers and barrel bulges abound with smokeless and large capacity cases. Well, at least the stories do, whether or not it's fact I can't say one way or the other. Still, Shiloh insists BP is the best powder for its guns as does Pedersoli. The 45-70 is the easiest to get started on. these barrels are usually rifled 1-18 and shoot heavy 500-550 grain bullets exceedingly well.

Boz330
10-02-2006, 09:39 AM
I have a buddy that shoots a Pedersoli Sharps in 45-70 with a 34 in barrel and does very well with it. Having said that, it doesn't make the weight requirement for BPCRS and is a pain to shoot the offhand chickens with. I personally would hate to tote it hunting. Talking with the good shooters in our area hardly any of them shoot anything over 30 inches. The real plus of this rifle was that he got it from Cabela's for $799 on sale. He is going to chop 4 inches off of it for all of the above mentioned reasons. The $1550 price sounds a little high to me. You could get a Shilo or C Sharps basic for that kind of money.

Bob

omgb
10-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Here's another thing to consider. Whatever you do, if you are really going to shoot this puppy more than a few times a year, get the shotgun butt. I repeat, get the shotgun butt. Sacrifice just about any of the fancy trim points such as pistol grip, Hartford Collar, German silver forend cap, but do not sacrifice the shotgun butt. These guns kick and are heavy to boot. The curved butt will hit you hard enough that in as few as 30 rounds and certainly by 60 rounds, your arm will be shaking and your shoulder will be stiff. Trust me, I am no 90 lb. weakling and shoot 100 rounds of skeet on Fridays and turn around and shoot rifles the next morning without even a hitch. I also have a couple of double rifles that I shoot each month but that Sharps beats the hell out of me to the point that I now wear a cheater pad when I'm going to shoot it for any length. I bought the Billy Dixon model in 45-90. If I had to do it over again, I'd have bought the target model with the shotgun butt. Not quite as romantic but a whole lot easier on the body.

Regardless of which you eventually buy, set aside another $400 for the Pedersoli Soule sight set. If you are going to bang away at anything over 100 or 200 yards, you will need these sights to bring out the accuracy. the factory sights are OK for hunting and general plinking out to 100-150 yards but they are in no way adequate for serious target work. The Pedersoli sights are an excellent set for the money.

montana_charlie
10-02-2006, 12:32 PM
When speaking of raw inches, I doubt that there is enough performance difference to sneeze at between a 30-inch and a 34-inch.

Increasing the sight radius makes precise sight alignment easier on any gun, but the most popular lengths (on target ranges) appears to be 30" and 32".
On a typical Sharps rifle with a 32-inch barrel, a tang tight will be 36 inches from the front sight. A 30-inch barrel will have a sight radius of 34 inches.

The tang sights are marked with vernier scales that are calibrated at 100 units per inch. And, at one hundred yards, 1 minute of angle equals 1.0472"

So...
- With a 36-inch sight radius, each point on the scale is worth
1 inch at 100 yards.
- With the 34-inch spacing each point makes a change of
1 Minute Of Angle.

Knowing precisely how much change can be expected from sight adjustments is a handy thing when shots are being scored on a paper target in tenths of an inch.
When the scoring is done in minute-of-ribcage, those exact geometric relationships become less important.

Other than weight/balance and increased sight radius, I can't think of a single advantage of a 34-inch barrel over the shorter lengths...with the possible exception that the extra few inches might be of some value when the extremely long cases are used. A guy who shoots LR competitively may have more information than I.

As for that .45-120 chambering...the used ones you see on the market are mostly 'fired twice' guns.
The guy shot it once to see how much it recoiled...and once more to see if the first one was for real.

CM

Boz330
10-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Speaking of shot twice, I got a #3 ruger in 45-70 for Christmas one year. I went right to the reloading book and pulled out the lightest load for the Ruger and the 405gr bullets I had on the shelf and loaded up 50. I touched off the first round and layed the gun down and shot another one a few times. Then I went back to that little Ruger and shot it again thinking that it really didn't kick that bad the first time. It did! Then I went and pulled the remaining 48 and went to the 1873 Trapdoor data for the next loads. I figured that if that velocity would kill a deer in 1873 it would still work today, and it did. Was a whole lot more fun to shoot as well.

Bob

John Boy
10-03-2006, 03:45 PM
I've been shooting the Pedersoli Quigley (45-70) for close to 2 years. With a vernier rear sight it produces good groups at 600 yds (my longest range near home)

Here's the Pedersoli line of Sharps ... http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/ArmiCategoria.aspx?CategoriaId=260&lang=en

If I had to do it over again, I go with the 1874 Sharps Silhouette DeLuxe in 45-70 (2.1). It is 3# lighter and has a pistol grip butt stock. I'd send it to LaserGraphics and have 20pt checkering done on the forearm and butt stock.

The Quigley at 13.2# is a lot of weight to hold trying to shoot 100 or 200yds of hand v 10#'s

The 45-120 (2.6) cases are expensive, plus more expensive to reload than the 2.1. Store bought ammo is gonna cost over $300 for 100 rounds for the 45-120.

Recoil with the 2.6 is a brute! I shoot an average of 100 rounds of the 2.1 each trip to the range and don't feel any noticeable felt recoil shooting with only a shirt on.

Both cartridges will shoot 1000yds with the same accuracy. Knock down power with a 45-70 has close to 2000 ft lbs at 100yds.

As for the 30" - 32" - 34" barrel sight radius ... I shoot a H&R 45-70 (32" barrel and 8#'s)with a vernier sight and the Green Mountain barrel is just as accurate as the Quigley. Last summer had a (7" x 2.5") 5 shot group using a 500gr BP bullet over 57grs of Triple 7 at 600yds. Still trying to repeat that group[smilie=b:

Big Picture: The majority of the good shooters at matches shoot the 45-70 and not the 45- 120.

Bad Ass Wallace
10-03-2006, 06:38 PM
If I had to choose one rifle/calibre it would be 45/90 in a 12lb rifle with 32" barrel. This would allow you to shoot both "Silly-wets" and long range gong & paper matches.

Fact is a 45/70 can't hold enough powder without excessive crushing through compression which leads to inconsistant ignition. There are those that claim to get a full 70gn of powder in but with a wad and reasonable compression of .15-.20" and a quality 500-550gn target bullet it won't happen!

At the other end, a 45/120 will hold 112gn BP with a 550gn bullet but burns a whole lot of extra powder for little gain over smaller cases. Mine shoots but with a 1:14" twist and must be cleaned after each shot which is a PIA.

Other than weight/balance and increased sight radius, I can't think of a single advantage of a 34-inch barrel over the shorter lengths...
Rubbish! A long barrel is used for target work for these very reasons! I noted that one target shooter at Creedmoor 2006 had a 37.5" barrel on his 45/90 and shot very well!

By the way a 45/120 is a 3.25" case not 2.6" (45/100)

My own target rifle is a Pedersoli 45/70 which has been rechambered to 45/90 but with a much different throat than the standard Ped chamber. Load is 73gn Wano PP and a 540gn custom Creedmoor bullet. Powder is drop tubed through a 30" tube and compressed .12"

Budget for the following in addition to your rifle; drop tube, compression die, custom lathe bored mould, neck expander and good Soule sight. These items will add nearly 50% to the cost of your final purchase!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/PGTmold.jpg
Victory PGT custom 540gn mould

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/BPCRTribe.jpg
Some of my BPCR's; 50/90, 50,70, 45/90, 40/65, & 45/70's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/soule-sights-both-large.gif
Soule Sight

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/My_cast_45.jpg
Lyman tapered bullets shoot well but need cleaning after each shot which is impractical in the field. 45/70 will hold 75gn BP with just one driving band set into the case

John Boy
10-03-2006, 11:32 PM
By the way a 45/120 is a 3.25" case not 2.6" (45/100)
Yep Bad Ass - to error is human:cry:

Might add: How is the PGT Victory bullet working for you?

Lee
10-04-2006, 12:25 AM
rvpilot76, as others have mentioned here, a vernier sight is what you want. I own a couple Pedersolis with tang sights, and neither is a vernier sight. They are the "cheap" Pedersoli sights, part of the reason I got as good a price as I did. A good vernier sight is like a fine Scotch: A beauty to behold with a price that will take your breath away" But it's worth it. My sights have marks with some cryptic "25", "50", "75", crap stamped into them. Given time I can probably translate those into some meaningful ranges, but moving from one range to another will always be a PITA.............................................L ee

Bad Ass Wallace
10-04-2006, 02:09 AM
How is the PGT Victory bullet working for you?

I've only had it for a short while but I loaded PGT's for Creedmoor 2006 and it was very consistant in the 20-25mph wind that was blowing all week. Accuracy over a bench is excellent; not tight tight groups but consistantly "tight and round groups with no flyers". Group size is 1.5-2.0" off a bench but I want to do a lot more testing with alloy. I'm using 1:30 and need to try something harder.

The throating that I had cut in my 45/90 chamber, allows the first boolit groove to seat out of the case and perfectly align down the bore. I also have a Paul Jones 650gn Creedmoor for my 50/90 that groups just as well if you can tolerate the recoil.

Personally, I don't even look in the catalogues of massed produced moulds any more and would not hesitate to purchase additional Victory or PJ moulds; they are worth every cent just for the ease of getting tight groups with almost any load.

martinibelgian
10-04-2006, 02:47 AM
BA,
It is possible to get 70+ grains in 45-70 case without undue compression, but there are some caveats:
1. use large capacity brass (usually W-W)
2. minimal wad (card, ldpe)
3. specific bullet - mine is a 520gr with 3 GG's, and most of the nose in the rifling

However, I do start getting serious compression at the 80+gr level - but it goes in though, and works, giving me about 1260 fps

plasma
10-05-2006, 12:48 PM
If you go for the 45-120 (45 3 1/2") you will want a heavy rifle. I have a C Sharps Arms in 45-120 that only weighs 11 1/2 pounds and the recoil with the 540 grain and above bullets is stout. I hunt with the Sharps but for bench shooting a few more ponds of rifle would be a help.

NickSS
10-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Ihave almost 25 years experience shooting black powder cartridge matches and have some ideas as to what works and what is more trouble than it is worth. Fist if its your first rifle get a 45-70. This will not only give you an excellent starting cartridge but the old warrier is hard to beat period. I have Sharps rifles with barrels from 28 through 34 inches and frankly like them all for different aplications. When shooting at over 600 yards I love my Shiloh long range express in 45-90. It has a 34 inch barrel and was originally in 45-70 about two years ago I had it reamed and thoughted for the 45-90 cartrisge as I decided that an extra 100 feet per second at long range would give me an edge. It did not make much difference but I still like the cartridge. A good barrel length for most applications is 30 inches and most of my sharps rifles are in that barrel length. My 28 inch standard weight barreled C Sharps 1875 model was bought specifically for hunting. It weighs around 9 pounds and ballances good from off hand it too is in 45-70. I have tried all the bigger cartridges and they all kick hard and are more difficult to find good loads for. The only calibers I currently shoot in BPCR are the 38-55, 40-65, 45-70, 45-90 and the 50-70. The 50-70 in in original Springfield Model 1866 and I killed a buffalo with it last year and plan to do it again this year.

highwallbo
11-03-2006, 10:12 PM
All you Pedersoli shooters out there have all but a few hundred bucks less than a C.Sharps or a Shilo cost.
It's not even debatable as to fit and finish.I have Pedersoli,Uberti,Winchesters and Shilo Sharps. I'd be much happier with a Plain Jane Shilo Sharps (1609.00) than one of those Italian wannabes(1550.00 Quigly)
They are worlds apart in every aspect and besides I like keeping my American dollars in America for Americans!

Lee
11-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Apples and oranges, boys and girls. Apples and oranges.................Lee:)

montana_charlie
11-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Everybody shoots what he owns, and owns what he can afford.

But, apples to apples...
If a 'plain jane' $1657 Shiloh Business Rifle owner finds himself being outshot by a 'plain jane' $925 Pedersoli Business Rifle owner, he can always hang his gun on the wall and just admire that 'fit and finish'.
By the way, that $1657 price is up a hundred and ten dollars from last November...

When comparing the Pedersoli Quigley to the least expensive Shiloh of the same model, you're looking at $1600 versus $3041...and the Shiloh is only available in two caliber choices.

If price was no object and I didn't mind waiting for delivery, my choice would be the Pedersol Competition Standard model because of the high comb. Shiloh doesn't even make one like it.
CM

omgb
11-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I have a Pedersoli Billy Dixon in 45-90 and a Shiloh #3 Business Rifle in 45-70. The Shiloh has better fit and finish but ....it doesn't shoot any better,, it took 10 months to deliver and it cost me $2100 verses $1375 for the Pedersoli. Of the two, the Shiloh is the one to take hunting, it's lighter and it's shorter so it handles faster. For banging targets out to any distance you want, the Pedersoli is as good or better.

There's a lot of pride that goes into owning a rifle. Some insist on the hand-made, one of a kind stuff that Shiloh makes. Price is not much of an object for them and they customize their guns acordingly. Others, are far more untilitarian. For them, form follows function. First and foremost, a gun must shoot, then it must be affordable. Price really matters to these folks. The greater the inverse ratio between price and accuracy, the happier they are. These guys love handi-rifles and Stevens 311 shot guns. Best bang for the buck. The rest are in the middle. I like beauty but insist on functionality and I can't/won't sell a child to have it. Pedersoli fills that bill nicely. Some have got to have that "pride of ownership" thing but cannot write a blank check to obtain it. So, they buy a plain-Jane Shiloh, get no better gun than a Pedersoli function-wise, maybe even less in some cases, but they have that magic name, "Shiloh". More power to them. Enjoy ahoy! Sadly though, all to frequently, (but not in all cases so don't anybody get his hair up,) they rationalize the extra money by deprecating other maker's guns such as the Pedersoli.

I can't buy into that way of thinking. I can only afford so many guns and only acurate guns are interesting, so, I focus on function, then form within a moderate price range. What I try not to do is tell a man he's stupid for liking what he does for whatever reasons he does. Those are purely his own and not mine to judge.:drinks:

JudgeBAC
11-05-2006, 11:08 AM
My Sharps is an Armi Sport in .45-70. I don't shoot black powder in it yet and probably won't for a while. With 3031 and a 405 grain cast bullet it has produced 1/2" 3 shot group at 100 yards off the bench with a tang sight. The front sight is a silver blade as it came from the factory. The fit and finish may not be stellar but it shoots better than most that cost a whole lot less.

Jon K
11-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Apples.................Oranges
Ford.....................Chevrolet

Kevin,

Lots of good points there to ponder on, but it's your decision.
Look at them, handle them, and shoot them, if you can.
Get the one that you really like, one that just lites the spark.

Pedersoli, Shiloh, C Sharps, Uberti, RB, 30-40, 38-55, 40-64, 40-70,45-70, 45-90, 45-110, 45-120, 50-70, 50-140 everybody has a favorite.
Once you get the one you like, I sure that you will get all the help you need here, to fine tune the gun in BP or Smokelss, however you want to go.

Don't pick someone else's decision.

Only one big problem- "It's addicting" you can't stop at just one!

Jon

Boz330
11-06-2006, 10:03 AM
A buddy of mine that couldn't justify the cost of the US made Sharps caught a Pedersoli on sale from Cabela's for $799 and it shoots as good as you can ask for. I have a C-Sharps Highwall and 75 and I get my butt kicked regularly by the Pedersoli's, (although thats not saying much).
I'm not that well heeled, but the Italian guns were not available when I got my first C-Sharps and it took awhile to save up that money. As someone said, it is addictive, not to mention fun.

Bob

chuckles
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi all. My first post and the debate "rages" on?
Montana Charlie wrote:
Everybody shoots what he owns, and owns what he can afford.
I agree 100%. I just bought my first, a Uberti Quigley in 45/70, (34"). I haven't even shot it yet and already I'm socking away the $ to buy another. I'm looking for a nice Tang sight (Kelley, Baldwin?) and I'm putting a beech combo front sight on it today. I haven't even decided on black or smokeless yet. My rifle is beautiful and the top says 'Uberti' and under the barrel it says 'Pedersoli'. I don't know about the rest of you but I've never seen any Sharps replica I don't like or want to own. I plan on getting a Shiloh, a C-Sharps and at least 2-3 more Pedersolis. I'm incurably infected and it ain't getting any better any time soon. I like your place here and will just shut up and try and learn. Thanks for being here.

omgb
11-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Go to Cabelas and look at the Pedersoli Soule sight set. it's an excellent sight at a very good price. I have it and love it.

C1PNR
11-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the group chuckles! I hope you enjoy your stay!

I don't, YET, have a Sharps, but I sure do want one! I did shoot my friend's 1854 Carbine many years ago, and had a ball doing it.

I'm not certain whether to get one of the C. Sharps, or maybe the Shiloh version. I guess it's time for me to check them out, make a decision, and start saving my pennies.

Boz330
11-13-2006, 03:18 PM
I have a C-Sharps Highwall and a 1875 Sharps and have been very happy with them. Not to slight Shiloh since I don't have one and I'm sure they are fine guns as well. Wait time on the C-Sharps is quicker I beleive, plus there are different options than just the 74.
My 75 Sharps in 38-55 filled the freezer this weekend. A really fun gun to shoot and not bad on recoil.

Bob

jerdog53
11-22-2006, 06:09 PM
I have been wanting to do this BPCR stuff for a long time now and have been watching and reading and trying to figure out which of the import guns would be worth while and or did I want to really save up for a American made gun. Well you all have been very beneficial to me with this thread and I thank you! I have a friend in Wyoming that shot BPCR game for a while then gave it up for the front stuffers well he always said that the Pedersolis were all you (me) would need to get started and probably ever.

I wanted to do this so bad I loaded up some Goex and some 405 RNFP boolits and went and participated in a local shoot with my Marlin 1895 LTD4 with a Layman #2 tang sight and not near enough elevation for those 1000 yard shots! But I had a blast and knew that it was something I wanted to for sure!

This is the only photo I have at the moment but you get the idea!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/jerdog53/BPCRshoot.jpg

[smilie=w:

Boz330
11-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Jerdog,
Where are you at in NM? I used to guide down in the Magdalena area.

Bob

montana_charlie
11-24-2006, 02:45 PM
jerdog53,

Maybe it's just the angle that picture was taken from, but there seems to be some important things missing. Never having attended a BPCR match, I reckon there are even more things missing than I am aware of.

I can see three shooters, so I figure there should also be about five thousand dollars worth of spotting scopes in the shot, sitting on 150 lb. custom welded tripods...and the shooters seem to be about four hundred pounds short in the combined 'beer gut' department.

Can't see the faces too well, but I assume each has the required six-days growth of scraggley whiskers....and I suppose there is at least one pony-tail hairdo to be admired.

But what really puzzles me is the absence of extra equipment on the ground. I see no jugs of soapy water for fired cases, no Delrin wiping rods, no range carts full of necessities...and no hi-tech shooting mats.
Everybody is just sitting in the dirt!

All of this, combined with the total absence of guys acting as spotters, almost makes me think you were only out there to have fun...
CM

jerdog53
11-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Here let me make it bigger.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/jerdog53/102_0281.jpg

Like I said somewhere this was my one and only BPCR shoot. Shot about 4 years ago when I was living in north central Wyoming. My good buddy Dave was an active member in the local BPCR club but he was not a shooter so every year he would help the club organizing the match. I wanted to shot in this but didn't have a rifle he told me I could just use my 1895 and load them one at a time. It was great fun and I am hooked.

There were a few that were out there to win and a few with mats and jugs of soapy water along with spotters and the like. Being my first shoot I did not know what to expect most all around me were glad to lend a hand and point to impact areas act as spotters ect.

I now live in ABQ and have seen a few indications that I will be able to participate in this game given time, I actually found a used .458 405grain RNFP mold at a local store so I played around with that this weekend, still need to get a proper size die and top punch for it.

montana_charlie
11-27-2006, 02:12 PM
I now live in ABQ and have seen a few indications that I will be able to participate in this game given time, I actually found a used .458 405grain RNFP mold at a local store so I played around with that this weekend, still need to get a proper size die and top punch for it.
Do you plan to stick with the Marlin for that game?
CM

jerdog53
11-27-2006, 02:46 PM
No, it was a stop gap measure for a one time thing. I fully intend to purchase a 74 of some kind when I manage to scrape together the funds.

montana_charlie
11-27-2006, 04:36 PM
when I manage to scrape together the funds.
When you reach that point, let me know. I'm not looking for a rifle, but I kinda keep track of what Pedersolis are available at the online sites.
When you feel rich enough, I'll let you know if I've seen any exceptional deals out there.
CM

hydraulic
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Jerdog; I'm probably mistaken, but that picture looks like it was taken somewhere in the viciinity of Worland.

Tazman1602
12-04-2021, 07:07 PM
Love this thread. I recently had a windfall, haven’t bought a new gun in a few years so was at a “local” gun store….(45 miles away…) and was looking at a couple of rifles. One, Henry 22 (I love 22…) and a uberti 1874 45-70. Was undecided.

My wife of over 40 years told me I should….Just buy BOTH…..GOD I love that girl, I did. Both are as smooth as butter and I can’t wait to fire up the lead pot.

Did I mention I love her!

indian joe
12-05-2021, 07:27 AM
rvpilot76, as others have mentioned here, a vernier sight is what you want. I own a couple Pedersolis with tang sights, and neither is a vernier sight. They are the "cheap" Pedersoli sights, part of the reason I got as good a price as I did. A good vernier sight is like a fine Scotch: A beauty to behold with a price that will take your breath away" But it's worth it. My sights have marks with some cryptic "25", "50", "75", crap stamped into them. Given time I can probably translate those into some meaningful ranges, but moving from one range to another will always be a PITA.............................................L ee

Lee
if you calibrate the Pedersoli staff so you know the value of one complete turn of the adjustment screw (my sharps is 2.3 MOA per turn of the elevation screw) then all you need is a reference mark on the staff (100yard zero for me) and a zero cut into the elevation screw (I made one deep cut and three shallow ones so I have it marked in quarters, each graduation = .57 MOA). There is a bit of math involved - sight radius, threads per inch etc but once its done you never need to bother with the graduations on the staff (iffy at best) just count turns.
Heres a couple homemade sights, the brass knob one (on a Uberti 76) was built from scratch. Other is my windage cross slide and base, with a Pedersoli staff. Cut the deep notch in the elevation adjustment screw so you can work it by feel - once you get this working you can adjust that rear sight just like Quigley did in the movie and be on paper with the first shot.

guess there will be a raft of xperts telling how this dont work but it flat out does.

veeman
12-05-2021, 09:53 AM
Hey, you guy actually have grass down there?? Never saw any grass in Quigley!?!?

indian joe
12-05-2021, 08:44 PM
Hey, you guy actually have grass down there?? Never saw any grass in Quigley!?!?

yeah we got grass! we water it twice a week then waste good shootin time mowin it on sunday - old greek mate in town sez we all mad - he spends sunday sittin in the shade drinkin ouzo through a straw - yard is gravel, dont water the grass !

Should see our place right now - just had five inches of rain last week - stuffed the grain harvest (I'm not in that game anymore) - green grass everywhere they didnt poison it - guys bogged left and right - kind of interesting watching it all.