PDA

View Full Version : kudos for the Ranch Dog 22 cal design

Bullshop
10-28-2010, 11:29 PM
I am not sure what forum this should go on so forgive me if this misplaced.
I just wanted to give a bit of praise to Ranch Dog for his 22 cal design.
I went out after caribou Monday and stayed out a few days. I did get a nice bull with the 375 Whelen and our 375gn/375cal boolit but that is not what I wanted to mention even though it worked splendidly.
I want to mention the wee little Ranch Dog 22 cal design. I think its the TLC .225 RF.
Anyway I have really been giving it a work out in several guns including my 22 Cooper rifle, 22 Cooper pistol, and 22 hornet. I am very well pleased with the ease of finding loads that group well with the design.
It is absolutely perfect for my single six 22 Cooper.
On my caribou trip I got a chance the try it on a coyote from the 22 hornet. A load of 10gn 4227 for between 2100 and 2200 fps was more than plenty. A 30 yard broad side broke both shoulders and dropped her in her tracks. The hide is primed up and only has 2, 22 cal holes in it.
The hole out the off shoulder under the hide is about like a nickle.
Them boolits might be little but the meplate looks to be about 80% or so and it did a bang up job whacking that coyote. Even so it feeds good from the Ruger hornet's rotary mag.
I am a 22 nut and just love getting new molds in the caliber. This one is a keeper. Thanks RD.

Three44s
10-29-2010, 01:31 AM
It's good to hear about a mold that does good work in .22 bore! I have a .222 rem that's new to me (rifle and caliber as well) and boolits hold some appeal to me.

I appologize for straying from the thread but what's the deal with the .22 cooper cartridge? Can one still buy brass? Is it expensive???

Three 44s

Pepe Ray
10-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Regarding the Ruger 77. Was it rechambered or rebarreled? Did the mag/action require much work to allow functioning?
Is the twist (original ?) good for the R.D. boolet?

IMWTK.
Pepe Ray

Ranch Dog
10-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the report! You didn't happen to get a picture of you with the coyote did you? I need some pics for my web site, also online reviews. This mirrors all the reports I'm receiving. The meplat causing massive internal damage with very two little holes cut in the hide.

I'm supposed to be working on big game cartridges, I reload all my family's stuff, but I had to try the TLC225 in my Zipper. All I got to say is "holy ****" are the coyotes in trouble this coming spring! Once hunting season is well underway, I will begin working on my coyote/bobcat loads with this bullet for both the 218 Bee and 219 Zipper.

The bullet has a 72% meplat.

Bullshop
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Three44's
Good brass is readily available from Shroader bullet works. It is kind of expensive at $.60 ea on my last order but they do last a long time. My first batch was up to 50 re loads by actual count 8 years ago and have been re loaded many time since then.
I do re anneal after about 5 re loads.
Pepe Ray
Accept for doing a trigger job its a box stock Ruger SS/Lam 22 hornet. Its my idea of a perfectly proportioned call gun in the perfect caliber if fox are also on the menu. My mod 38 Cooper 22 CCM fits that roll nicely also.
RD
Sorry I didn't get any pic's for several reasons. It was very cold, maybe too cold for electronics. I was alone and had my hands full just staying warm and fed and trying hard to keep my drinking water from freezing. That and the fact that it takes so blasted long for me to share pictures with our way slow dial up connection.
What, a Marlin 219 Zipper !!!!! Oh my Lord please forgive my coveting!!! I do want to hear more about that. I wont likely ever get an original but I have thought many times about re barreling a 336 with a heavy contour like the originals.
If it would help in any way when that coyote comes off the stretcher I can take a pic and email it to you. Just say the word. They look real nice when I am done with them. I wash them with shampoo and then comb and blow dry them.

Ranch Dog
10-29-2010, 10:07 PM
I'd like to see that hid if you don't mind, include your rifle and I will make sure it gets posted.

The Zipper is pretty much the Holy Grail of the Marlin line up that is for sure. I feel lucky to have found one. Mine has the heavy barrel (1957) and I actually have a replacement barrel, factory new, just in case I wear the original out. I've let a lot of guests shoot/hunt with it and everyone likes it.

Bullshop
10-30-2010, 01:56 AM
One question for ya. What was your intention for the design of the little TL256, 60gn 25 cal PB? Looks right for a 25 auto but I dont think Marlin makes one yet. I ran some and they drop about 2575 to 258 so are big enough for the 25/20 too. Was it a dual purpose design? I have not tried those yet but I intend to give them a go in a 25 Copper head, (25/222)
Be just right for the 25 hornet I want to build.

Echo
10-30-2010, 02:23 PM
One question for ya. What was your intention for the design of the little TL256, 60gn 25 cal PB? Looks right for a 25 auto but I dont think Marlin makes one yet. I ran some and they drop about 2575 to 258 so are big enough for the 25/20 too. Was it a dual purpose design? I have not tried those yet but I intend to give them a go in a 25 Copper head, (25/222)
Be just right for the 25 hornet I want to build.

Wasn't the Copperhead devised by John Wooter, and didn't some of his chums call it 'Wooter's Tooter'?

BCall
10-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not RD, but the TL256 mold was one of his pistol mold designs for the 25 acp. I have a 2 holer, and it doesn't cast quite as big as yours does Bullshop. I think he made it that big because of the generous chamber/throat of the little pocket pistols he has been working with. But if your mold casts that big, I don't see why it wouldn't work, at least in a limited role. I have yet to have an RD mold shoot bad, even though there are a number of them I don't use in the same gun/caliber that they were intended for.

Bullshop
10-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Echo
Yes thats right, it was developed by John Wooters. It is an amazingly efficient cartridge approaching the performance of the factory 250 Savage.
BCall
I thought maybe so. I think it will work in my copperhead for light quiet loads.

LIMPINGJ
10-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Bullshop what action did you build your 25 Copperhead on? I have wanted to build one like the one Wooters did but the price for a Sako like he used is a little much. I can find plenty Remington's but the 308 size actions sure seem big after handling the little Sako. I am looking at the CZ 527 as it is in my price range. Did you go with a new barrel or a re bore?

Bullshop
10-30-2010, 11:47 PM
LIMPINGJ
Well I did not build this rifle but got it from a fellow forum member here.
It is truly a silk purse from a sows ear. It is a custom stocked and custom barreled Savage mod 340. It is set in a lovely figured maple stock and barreled without the barrel band and locking nut. Shoots bullets and boolits equally well.
I have both of the articles published by Wolf Publishing written by Mr Wooters detailing the development of the cartridge. A very useful cartridge and power range, and with a miserly appetite.

johnly
10-31-2010, 12:06 AM
I'd like to see that hid if you don't mind, include your rifle and I will make sure it gets posted.

The Zipper is pretty much the Holy Grail of the Marlin line up that is for sure. I feel lucky to have found one. Mine has the heavy barrel (1957) and I actually have a replacement barrel, factory new, just in case I wear the original out. I've let a lot of guests shoot/hunt with it and everyone likes it.

OK I have to come clean... Your difficulties in finding a Marlin 219 Zipper is because of people like me that have two of them, a 1955 and a 1959. I have a forming die set if you want to borrow them or need some formed cases.

To the others wondering if they are looking for, my Marlin Zippers are some of the most accurate lever guns I have ever fired. Expect MOA out of the short stiff barrels, better on a good day or an above average barrel.

John

Ranch Dog
10-31-2010, 02:47 PM
John,

I bought a large quantity of brass from that fellow on GunBroker that forms in out of 30-30 cases. It has worked very well for me and saves a bit of time.