PDA

View Full Version : Glovolium for Stretching Holsters

Daryl
10-28-2010, 10:57 PM
HI,

Just thought I'd pass this along.

I've had a couple of holsters that were designed for a certain gun but still just did not fit well.

For example, I got a nice ($50+) holster for my shrouded hammer SP101 - fit great but the strap was about 1/2"+ short of snapping. So, I saturated the strap (very heavy leather) in Rawlings Glovolium for baseball gloves, put the gun in, and took a pair of plyers and stretched that strap until it snapped closed. Left it overnight and it is now perfectly formed.

Had a used holster for a Glock 17 which should fit my G22 fine. But, G22 would fit but slide would push back a bit when I forced it in. Same solution, saturated that holster with Glovolium, forced the G22 in, snapped the retention strap and let it set overnight, now the G22 slides in like a perfect glove.

I've done this to a couple other holsters with equally good results. One holster was new and had some heavy black dye in it which would bleed off a little when I saturated the leather, so I just put the gun in a light plastic bag before putting it into the holster.

It's good for the leather and treats it nicely as well.

Works for me - hope it helps someone.

montana_charlie
10-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I've always done that kind of chore with low tech warm water.
Never thought about calling it Holsterolium...

CM

ReloaderFred
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I've used the warm water and plastic wrapped method for years myself. What condition does the Glovolium leave the leather in? Is it soft or rigid? I prefer my holsters to be rigid to maintain shape, but all the baseball gloves I ever used were soft in nature.

Fred

Lloyd Smale
10-29-2010, 04:06 PM
water has worked for me too. It leaves the holster stiff when done instead of limp.

Mk42gunner
10-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Rubbing alcohol works too. But streching a retainer strap 1/2" is quite a bit.

Robert