PDA

View Full Version : So I put a nick in my aluminum mold......

78CJ
09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I was reaming my RD group buy TLC460-350 to get the checks to fit better, I was using an ancient drill press by hand when the chuck dropped ever so slightly and the reamer went in the mold farther than I wanted it to. I was turning it by hand and at the time was not moving it, so the edge of the reamer just touched in two places the first ridge which subsequently makes up the lowest lube groove. I did not even notice the second nick until I looked real close but the first one shows up as a bright spot about 1/3 the depth of the ridge.

So, other than bugging the heck out of me, how much do you all think this will affect accuracy?

Ryan

Bass Ackward
09-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I was reaming my RD group buy TLC460-350 to get the checks to fit better, I was using an ancient drill press by hand when the chuck dropped ever so slightly and the reamer went in the mold farther than I wanted it to. I was turning it by hand and at the time was not moving it, so the edge of the reamer just touched in two places the first ridge which subsequently makes up the lowest lube groove. I did not even notice the second nick until I looked real close but the first one shows up as a bright spot about 1/3 the depth of the ridge.

So, other than bugging the heck out of me, how much do you all think this will affect accuracy?

Ryan

Ryan,

I some cases you might not even know about it. Depends on how it was shooting for you before. If you were getting 1/4" groups, you might start cussing. But above that, I doubt you will ever notice shooting wise that is.

But what I can't answer is how that will affect the bullets from dropping out of the mold. You may have work to do if this is a problem as a result. Then if you have to remove metal to clean it up, you might notice an accuracy drop off at that time.

So the answer is, "Only your hair dresser knows for sure" I mean gun.

Bullshop
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I wouldnt worry too much. If you get a small fin from it they should be corrected by sizing. The weight variation shouldnt hurt.
I have a mold sent to me by a customer that appeared to have been dropped or had the edg peened in some way. By the time I got the peened area cleaned up there is a negative spot that leaves a fin at the base. The fin can be easily removed before sizing but I dont do it, I just let the sizer iron it out. I have made apx. 10,000 boolits for this fellow and his friends and I get back reports of the outstanding accuracy they are getting. This mold is in a large cal. (50) so it will likely not be as affected as a smaller cal.
So dont worry, cast, load, shoot, see!!!
BIC/BS

felix
09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Air bubbles in the lead is your most terrible offender for high speed accuracy. Being most difficult to control, the unseen holes becomes problematic only for small boolits, or those bigger ones shot with a twist too fast. So, Bullshop Dan has the right idea without doubt. Shoot the suckers, and reject if accuracy is not up to expectations for the target style. ... felix

78CJ
09-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Minute of whitetail is the accuracy I need, but it is always nice to shoot small groups. I can see where I will need to remove a little mat'l where it was displaced to prevent sticking. As long as I can shoot 1" to 2" at 100 yards I will be happy. The more I think about it if I was really wanted I could use it as a single cavity for those really important days. But I doubt that will ever happen!!!

I did just get around to weighing about 40 of these buggers that I had cast before the nick and they are coming out at about 358 ot 360 grains.

Thanks for the replies

Ryan

bsn
09-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I would be really surprised if you saw a noticable change in accuracy.

GLL
09-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Worst case -it is now a 5-cavity GB mould ! ;)

Jerry

georgeld
09-28-2006, 08:32 PM
A small nick or scratch in a mold is mostly a mental irritant
than it will ever bother accuracy.

I've found a bunch of guys and some on here are so overly concerned
with such minor glitches it's almost funny to a lot of us. Some of it is funny.

But, it's sure not to those that let these things bother them.

Wish you well,