PDA

View Full Version : New hole in the carbine

Jack Stanley
10-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I've been using the Marlin 1894c a lot recently with different loads . I got it out to use it this morning and found a screw missing on the lower left side of the reciever . The carbine still seems to work without it so now I have a couple questions for those of you that know this type of platform more than me .

First , where can I get a replacement and second what function does it have ? I'm going to guess it's a hole for a saddle ring but I don't know .

Thanks , Jack

excess650
10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
That screw secures the lower tang to the left side of the receiver. There is another on the bottom at the front, and the RR is the same as the carrier pivots on.

Jack Stanley
10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
That screw secures the lower tang to the left side of the receiver. There is another on the bottom at the front, and the RR is the same as the carrier pivots on.

Thanks for letting me know what it does , it sounds like something I ought not go without for to long . Sometimes the good Lord smiles on ya when you least expect it . As I was going out to the range I looked where I was shooting from this morning and was praying "Lord you can direct my eyes to that little part" . The long and the short of it is , I didn't find it where I expected it . I was taking a break where I was shooting from yesterday and looked down and saw this odd colored "rock" ......... there was the screw . Now that's one of those thank you Jesus moments . [smilie=w:

Jack

ReloaderFred
10-27-2010, 06:52 PM
He does work in mysterious ways..............

Fred

Bula
10-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Blue locktite is your freind. I can't beleive you found it. Me, I drop something at my feet, i can never find it.

excess650
10-28-2010, 08:41 PM
...friends in high places!

JJC
10-29-2010, 11:22 AM
My Marlins need the screws tightened every now and again. Especially before a hunt. I did not have a screw driver that fine at camp. Tighten them before you go would be good PM that I need to start.

Jack Stanley
10-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Somebody mentioned to take every screw out one at a time and blue Loc-Tite them . Sounds like a good idea to me ........ not that I don't like to pray mind you ! I'd just rather the gun stay together in the first place !!

I should do a detail cleaning and lube the action I don't know how many rounds it had through the action so it's probably time . That might be a good time to get the Loc-Tite out .

Jack

Tom-ADC
10-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Be carefull which locktite you pick some of that stuff works almost to good.
I use the wifes clear nail polish, holds tite but breaks loose easily.

Jack Stanley
10-30-2010, 09:51 AM
I hear ya Tom , I think the red stuff is meant to weld stuff together [smilie=l:

Jack

lylejb
10-30-2010, 07:44 PM
I hear ya Tom , I think the red stuff is meant to weld stuff together [smilie=l:

Jack

almost.

It's meant for PERMANENT installations. It's intended to be removed with an air impact wrench or heated with a torch.

It's great stuff, in the FEW places that must never come apart.

The blue is a better choice if you want to take it apart.

Tom-ADC
10-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Yep when I built the engine for my Dart I used red on the lower end for peace of mind.

bearcove
11-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Boiled linseed oil is a less permanent way. Dries sticky.