PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

grubbylabs
10-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi all I was just sent to this forum by some members of a another forum.

I just started getting back into guns and reloading this last spring, and am looking for a way to build quality and affordable ammo.

I hunt with all but one of my guns and I carry that one for CCW.

What I have is

New Marlin XS-7 in 308 not sure but willing to give it a try for hunting loads.

54 cal Black powder, would like to take any thing from moose to squirrels.

Smith and Wesson 329 PD (scandium framed revolver) Moose and bear defense.

Springfield Armory XD-c 45. CCW

I have been eyeballing the Lyman press and furnace set, it comes with the book at well. So what do you all think of the set.

I have been thinking of getting RCBS molds

I think I can find WW fairly easily but I am not against buying quality lead especially for my hunting loads.

I am open to any advise or suggestions

Thanks for your help.
Grubby

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Welcome Grubby!

WW's are fine if you can find them . . . if you need to buy lead look near the bottom in the "selling/swapping" area a few people have lead for sale (I bought some from Muddy Creek Sam:bigsmyl2:)

I'd look at some of the custom makers for molds . . . look in our vendors section . . . I have a few MiHec's, and one from NOE, but BRP, and Ranch Dog also come to mind, there are others I'm sure. Also check out the "group buy" area for molds that will be available soon.

Slug your barrel first so you know what size mold to buy.

Does your 44 mag get your attention when you shoot it?! I have a Ruger SRH Alaskan 2.5" in 44 mag weighs 20 oz more!

JFrench
10-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Welcome! RCBS makes excellent molds. You will have to watch your wheel weights for zinc alloy weights and remove them before you melt your alloy.
I check with a good pair of Klien wire cutters. Zinc weights are hard to mark with the cutter. Wheel weights are easy. This is a slow method but it works.
James

grubbylabs
10-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Welcome Grubby!

WW's are fine if you can find them . . . if you need to buy lead look near the bottom in the "selling/swapping" area a few people have lead for sale (I bought some from Muddy Creek Sam:bigsmyl2:)

I'd look at some of the custom makers for molds . . . look in our vendors section . . . I have a few MiHec's, and one from NOE, but BRP, and Ranch Dog also come to mind, there are others I'm sure. Also check out the "group buy" area for molds that will be available soon.

Slug your barrel first so you know what size mold to buy.

Does your 44 mag get your attention when you shoot it?! I have a Ruger SRH Alaskan 2.5" in 44 mag weighs 20 oz more!

I have been hand loading some 270 grain mag soft points from Speer and it seems OK so far, but I have put some through it that were a little hotter than I liked. It is a great carry gun I hardly know its there.

Oh by the way I have heard a few people talk about slugging their barrel but I have no idea what this involves.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Slugging is basically taking a slightly oversized pure lead boolit, and driving it through your barrel, then measuring it . . . if your gonna do your revolver (which you should) take the cylinder out (totally out of the gun, or you could bend the crane) and slug the chambers too!

This talks a little about it, there are many more threads . . . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95793

Shiloh
10-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Welcome to the finest Cast Boolit forum on the net!!

SHiloh

grubbylabs
10-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Slugging is basically taking a slightly oversized pure lead boolit, and driving it through your barrel, then measuring it . . . if your gonna do your revolver (which you should) take the cylinder out (totally out of the gun, or you could bend the crane) and slug the chambers too!

This talks a little about it, there are many more threads . . . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95793

Why do I want to slug the cylinder as well?

fryboy
10-26-2010, 11:53 PM
a six shot revolver in addition to the slug measurements in both ends of the barrel also have six chamber mouths ... sometimes all is well ...other times ...[shrugz] as for the original question ..... eh the pot i'll never use but the 4500 gets used a bit and i had worn out my old lyman cast book and the ingot mold is always handy , i bought the 4500 mainly because of the add on heater feature and my preference for hard lubes , from a economical standpoint if on sale at some place such as midway or natchez a good deal - especially if u have none of the stuff , from my standpoint i got it on sale and can use it all but that melting pot ( i should sell it ..perhaps one of these days ...)

Ajax
10-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Welcome to the forums Grubbylabs. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask. This is a great group of guys who will go out of their way to help.

Andy

Dean D.
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Welcome Grubby!

44man
10-27-2010, 09:17 AM
You will right at home here, welcome!
What kind of .54 do you have and the twist?

qajaq59
10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Welcome Grubby..... Where do you live? If you are close to one of us we may be able to help you get started.

grubbylabs
10-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Welcome Grubby..... Where do you live? If you are close to one of us we may be able to help you get started.

I am in Pocatello Idaho, you up for a drive?:bigsmyl2:

HORNET
10-28-2010, 09:29 AM
A .54 for squirrels, huh? Must be some of those giant mutant squirrels from Atomic City. I thought they got those stopped before they got past Blackfoot :kidding:

grubbylabs
10-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Not sure about the squirrels but you should see the racks on the deer and elk out there.

I just like shooting it and its what I have, I don't want to have different calibers, I find it easier to have the same caliber as every one else I am around and then there are no mix ups. I don't actively go out for them but it will be a very cold day in you know where before I pass one up.

qajaq59
10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
You can "bark" them with the .54 cal. That is, you shoot the limb right under them and the concussion knocks 'em silly. LOL

44man
10-28-2010, 02:12 PM
You can "bark" them with the .54 cal. That is, you shoot the limb right under them and the concussion knocks 'em silly. LOL
Mythbusters needs to test that one!
I tried it once and even after many shots and making the poor thing bald by blowing off all the hair, I had to shoot it.

grubbylabs
10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
We don't have a very big population of tree rats around here except for in town, but we do have lots of ground squirrels. They are really fun with a bow and arrow, I took one at 50 yards one time, it was almost as exciting as the Elk I took at 5 feet.