PDA

View Full Version : 459(!)-389 in 45-70

rintinglen
10-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, as the title implies, I have an old lyman 452-389 that casts really large. The boolits drop out at almost exactly .459. Just the right size for my Marlin Cowboy--which leads me to wonder and then to experiment.
I'd bought the mold off Ebay with the notion of using it in my Ruger Vaquero, but when I went to size them it was obvious that they were much larger than .452. Intrigued, I measured a couple and was flabbergasted to see how large they really were. But that info set me to pondering. I have been looking for an accurate light bullet use on chickens in the rifle caliber silhouette game. I had tried the 454-190 and the 454-424 with little success but neither cast as large as the stubby wadcutter 389 does.
My initial expriment used 8 grains of unique and I had hoped to test them Sunday before the match, but as life would have it, I got out to the club too late to do so. I did use them in the match and they seemed to work ok, once I realized how low they were shooting. I am going to try to get out this weekend and do some further testing on paper. I hope to post the results with some pics, once I can cajole my daughter into showing me how to attach a pic to my post.
Anybody else try a modern "collar button" like this?