PDA

View Full Version : Copper bullet info

Dan H
09-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Hello All,

I am an electrician and always have access to mass surplus copper.

Does anyone have any information on where I can find out the particulars of casting pure copper bullets?

Thanks for your input,

Dan H

trooperdan
09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Dan, welcome to the forum! The melting point of copper is 1,984 degrees (F). You aren't going to reach that with any boolit casting pot; you'd have to have a foundry. At that temperature I suspect the molds would have to be ceramic, not iron or alumimum lik we use. By the way, boolits are almost never pure solid copper, only a very few premium price hunting boolits.

We cast boolits from mixtures of lead, tin and antimony, now THAT we can help you with. Casting copper though is more of a jewelers application.

Again, welcome!

DOUBLEJK
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Dan
First off Welcome to the board...:castmine:

And yer gonna have a big hill to climb castin' pure copper as it melts at the low temp. of 1981 Degrees F...[smilie=1:
Not sure what mold material would take that high a temp. or how you could cut the sprues...all the pure copper bullets are lathe turned that I'm aware of...probably a much cheaper and easier route to a shootable projectile...

Dan H
09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Dang!!!

Well I guess I'll just have to recycle the stuff.
At the price per lb. of copper these days I can buy mass bullets for reloading with the proceeds anyway, but the process is not as fulfilling.

Thanks again

Dan H

joatmon
09-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Sell the copper then ask to brouse there lead, buy what looks good. That's what I do.