PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Bullets

jebb45
10-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Big Bore Bullets......
Does anyone cast bullets for the 416 Taylor ??? Been thinking of building a 416 Taylor on a remington 700 action. I am looking for any information for cast bullets in this caliber. Has anyone tried cast bullets in the 416 to see if they are accurate enough to use in the field and and on the range. Would appreciate any help, thanks

:?::?:jebb45

BruceB
10-25-2010, 08:26 PM
A simple search for ".416" brings up over three hundred hits. YES, there are some of us casting for .416...

jebb45
10-26-2010, 10:03 AM
BruceB...
can you give more details of your work with casting bullets for the 416

Hardcast416taylor
10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Yes, I think you might say I cast, load and shoot loads in a .416 Taylor. Firstly, what are you casting with, an RCBS mold I`ll wager. As this is probably the easiest mold to acquire we`ll talk about this one. I have been using this mold for a dozen years or so. I usually only use straight wheel weights and let them air cool, for practice loading. For more formal situations that could include a cuddly creature with teeth and claws I`ll either add a bit of linotype to this mix and water quench or just water quench the weights alloy. A load I use alot is simply 49 gr. of 3031 with a standard primer. I tend to prefer using once fired Winchester brass that I simply run into my sizer then load and shoot. I`ve had some problems using Rem. brass so I don`t use it. I have been using Cold Bear Blue lube a great deal with no leading problems. A friend and I several weeks ago were knocking on a large maple tree at an honest 300+ yds. with this load.

I have just acquired a custom made 385 gr. paper patch mold that I am still experimenting with. I am also in the process of trying out sample 400 gr. boolets from another custom maker. I just this Spring had "Buckshot" do a hollow point job on my RCBS mold. I also had him make a plug that I can put in the mold and be casting solid nosed boolets again, really a nice job. I have loaded and shot about every make of jacketed bullets, from 300 gr. up thru the 400 gr. solids and many Rigby only type bullets. I`m getting older and more recoil sensitive, thus my shooting is more cast bullets now.Robert

Three44s
10-27-2010, 09:45 AM
jebb45,

Yes, do a search ...... you'll get "416ed" out of your gord!!

I spend a fair amount of time over at the savageshooters.com forum and for "700" owners there is GOOD NEWS!

At least one barrel maker, McGowen, makes custom tubes that utilize the Savage nut system for your 700.

Even if you don't plan on tooling up, I'd do this system ....... first, a barrel under tension offers advantages ...... second, after you get rolling with this, IF you tool up you can change your own barrels at will as your original barrel is automatically headspaced unless you have your receiver "faced" (which is also a good idea) and the "nutted barrel" you would select would be headspaced by you upon re-installation. You would have to further inlet your stock to provide room for the barrel nut but that's a small price to pay for the freedom it provides.

I also am yearning for a .416 Taylor. A neighbor recently bought a custom Mauser in that chambering and he's also found a good used RCBS mold.

My build will likely be on a Savage but I do have a first generation 700 in 7mm mag as well.

For the moment, I've been enamoured with a .338-06 and the little time I can scratch up right now.

Three 44s