PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own/owned BOTH Lyman 4500 & Saeco L-S?

ericscher
10-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I swear, I really tried using the search. So please don't get too annoyed if this is seems like the billionth time on this subject.

As a realistic matter, and I mean price point here, I think I'm down to either a Saeco Lubrisizer or a Lyman 4500, and either way I mean with heater.

I have heard good and bad about both, and unfortunately, it seems to be about evenly distributed, which is why I'm hoping that at least a couple of folks have owned both.

Push come to shove and you had to pick one or the other, which way would you go?

Please try to include everything in your thinking. Not just which is better in terms of the unit, but also the day to day practicalities of using it over the long term. Stuff I wouldn't know to ask, you know?

That's about it. Thanks in advance.

Doc Highwall
10-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I have had both the RCBS and an older Lyman and now I only have four SAECO's. I think the SAECO is better but the dies are more expensive and their top punches are made only for Redding SAECO moulds but they do make top punches for their bullet moulds that fit Lyman/RCBS sizers. When I use a Lyman/RCBS mould I have an adapter that I made to use Lyman/RCBS top punches. I have had no problem with leakage while lubing bullets.

schutzen
10-24-2010, 10:44 AM
I have both the SAECO and the Lyman 4500. I prefer the SAECO, but this may be because that is what I started with. In reality, all I use the Lyman for is for small batches (i.e. casting for relatives) where it is impractical to purchase a SAECO die/punch set. All of my high volume lubing is done with a SAECO.
SAECO
The down side; SAECO costs more and parts for it cost more.
The plus side; in 25 years the only parts I have purchased for the SAECO are dies and punches.
Lyman
The down side; I have had to replace the linkage bars on my Lyman (it was purchased used).
The plus side; Parts are relatively inexpensive. Dies and punches are less expensive and much more readily available.

My choice would be the SAECO if I were casting the same calibers/bullets repeatedly. If you change bullets or calibers frequently, the Lyman is less expensive to utilize.

ericscher
11-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to schutzen and Doc. I hadn't replied because I had been waiting to see if anyone else had experience with both.

Anyway, thanks again.

PacMan
11-16-2010, 05:08 AM
I canot compare both so my answer does not answer your question but i have a Saeco and in my short casting career i have sized close to 4k bullets thru it without any problems and would buy another if i ever needed two.Yes the dies are a higher cost but are quality tools.I cast for 35,44 and 30 caliber.I have a seperate top punch for the 30 but use the same punch for 35 and 44 that i filled with jb weld and filed flat.Works great.I run LBT blue soft in mine and never a problem.
Dwight

Trifocals
11-16-2010, 07:37 AM
I have (1) Lyman, (2) RCBS, (2) SAECO and (1) Star. I use the Star for short, blunt rifle boolits and handgun boolits. One SAECO contains BP lube for BP rifle and handgun boolits and the second SAECO contains a lube for rifle boolits which require a more conventional lube. I do prefer the SAECO's over The Lyman or RCBS because I feel they align the boolits into the die straighter. I have an adaptor I made so I can use Lyman/RCBS nose punches in the SAECO's.

LowPE
11-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I have both.

The Saeco is easier to use. Changing the top punch is easier, it is threaded and not allen nutted (?) in.

A quarter turn will lube 15 or so bullets with the Saeco, the Lyman needs a little turn for each.

The dies and punches are more expensive for the Saeco. If you order NOE or Mihec they offer top punches for lyman with the mould.

I have worn through the plastic handle on the Lyman, but both seem very durable.

The saeco can gas check only.

I like the Saeco a little more, but wouldn't want to give up the lyman either. I use both weekly. It is a pain changing sizing dies for both.

ericscher
11-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow, thanks for the additional information, guys.

So, I think I can draw the conclusion that a wise choice for a first purchase would be either one, but if I can afford the Saeco, that would be the preffered option.

OK, well...

One last question then...

I already know that the general consensus here is that for manually operated lube-sizing the Star ($250) is the way to go.

The Star doesn't really seem to move, but the Saeco does go on sale from time to time, as does for that matter the 4500.

If I could find a way to make up the minimum $70 difference, is the Star a sufficient leap that I shouldn't really even be thinking of the 4500 or Saeco, but instead, of ways to find the extra money and buy the Star FIRST. (and last?)

cuzinbruce
11-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I have the Star and Lyman 450 (have had several 450's, also the older 45, the 4500 looks pretty much like a 450). If you are going to crank out a lot of the same bullet, the Star is the way to go. If you are going to be changing calibers a lot, the Lyman is quicker to set up for a different boolit. If you are lubing pointed bullets, I would go with the Lyman. The Star uses one bullet to push the next one through. Just my thoughts. Shop around too, there are some deals on used ones of both makes. I bought the Star for $35, $20 for the last Lyman.