PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Kit

waksupi
10-22-2010, 12:28 PM
For years, I used to take my full hunting bag, and horn hunting. As the years have passed, I've gotten a bit smarter. I now know I do not need to have 30 round balls, and a pound of powder for a hunt. This is what I will be carrying this season, and the small priming horn may also be eliminated. The main horn has been flattened, to ride easier in the pocket.
Light weight, fits in my pocket.

docone31
10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Smart!
I like that.
I gotta be careful. I do not want to go over my posts outside of my favourites.

Arisaka99
10-22-2010, 02:35 PM
What is the thing on the right?

SamTexas49
10-22-2010, 03:11 PM
The ball/bullet block with 4 patched balls ready to seat into barrel..

northmn
10-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Very similar to my deer hunting rig. I like the little 31 cap and ball powder flask for the main charges also. Otherwise that about what I carry. I still like priming powder over 2f or 3f for priming. I do also include a spare flint, vent pick and a pocket knife with a screwdriver blade. The pocket knife also doubles for gutting the deer for me anymore. I take care of the finer details of field dressing when I get the thing hung up.

Northmn

Arisaka99
10-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh ok, I couldnt tell from a quick look, but when I blew the picture up and looked at it, I got it. Nice minimalist kit!!

Hanshi
10-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I learned the hard way not to take everything I own into the field. My practice now is to carry 5 balls, 5 lubed patches, 5 pre-measured powder charges and a brass springy primer. I usually bring home at least 3 balls (and 2 deer). I don't hunt too far from my truck so leaving extra flints, tools, etc, in the truck posses no problem.

Of course there's also a plug of good terbacky and small flask of mountain whiskey, in there, too....just kidding. Deer hunting is basically a one shot deal; either you hit him or you don't. Small game is a different story. I may do a bit of shooting in the squirrel woods so I do carry a horn & measure and more ammo; but that's about it.

SamTexas49
10-23-2010, 04:13 PM
WAY back !!! Dixie Gun workds had these cardboard tubes with caps that could be made into premeasured loads of BP. They work very work very well for up to 100gr laod..

JeffinNZ
10-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Nup! You'll never kill game that small amount of gear. HAHAHA.

Good for you. When I started shooting I had no one to teach me (much) and a VERY tight budget from a paper round I did. I lived in an area that was not overflowing in rabbits and would take out my .22 with a full 5 shot mag and frequently bring home 2 rabbits and 2-3 rounds. Not always perfect but pretty close.

Hanshi
10-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I made several dozen charge tubes of different capacities by using pvc pipe and either corks or end caps.

winelover
10-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Cut the crimp off recovered shotgun shells and use "Pipe Caps" to plug the ends for premeasured charge tubes. They conveniently fit in the shell loops of most hunting outfits. There flexible so you can bend them when reloading so your less apt to spill any powder . And best of all their FREE. You can use different color hulls for different loadings. "Pipe Caps" are those flexible plastic plugs found in threaded plumbing fittings to keep dirt and grit out.

Winelover

KCSO
10-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I just carry my stuff in a little belt pouch now. I started with that when I was squirrel hunting as I figured I could go back to the car if I had to, it worked so well I mostly keep the big bag in camp now. I did howerever dry ballit one morning headed to the stand and had to walk back to camp to unload.

home in oz
10-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Rubber gloves for field dressing?

Werthers candy to suck on while waiting.

Deer calls?

String?

Ball point pen?

Spare pair of gloves?

Face mask (net)?

Knife and small stone?

Flashlight?

If you add these items to yours, you will have the contents of my small waist pouch.

dualsport
10-24-2010, 01:40 AM
A note on the premeasured charge tubes. I've had an ongoing test with leftover loads from various hunts. The plastic ones TC sells hold it all, including a cap for percussion guys. I've loaded and fired these loads after 10 yrs. of storage including the powder, lubed patched roundball and cap with 100% success. Not traditional, but effective if you do need a quick reload, like when you miss a cow elk and she hangs around for more.

northmn
10-24-2010, 10:16 AM
You can also wrap paper around a dowel and make paper cartridges like used before the Revolutionary war. Make for very fast relaoding once you get the hang of it. I still use a horn or flask and a measure, but premeasured charges can be carried. If you really want to learn to cut back, carry a fowler for small game. My shot pouch carries a lot less shot then it did when I started. I may carry only about a pound of shot with me or less. Maybe 10 card wads and I trim off the top of one for an over shot wad.

Northmn

Larry Gibson
10-24-2010, 10:54 AM
waksupi

I'm a little more modern with my MLs as they are cap fired. I carry the rifle loaded with 5 speed loaders (MaxiBall, loose powder and cap), a "capper' with 10 extra caps, a vent pick along with a nipple wrench and an extra nipple (I had one crack on a hunt once). That's about it for me except for the "essentials" in a small back pack. Lot easier and more fun hunting when you're not weighted down.

Larry Gibson

Hanshi
10-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Rubber gloves for field dressing?

Werthers candy to suck on while waiting.

Deer calls?

String?

Ball point pen?

Spare pair of gloves?

Face mask (net)?

Knife and small stone?

Flashlight?

If you add these items to yours, you will have the contents of my small waist pouch.

Field dressing? What's that? Do you eat it with turkey? :veryconfu[smilie=w:

All seriousness aside, the T/C cappers et. al are great. I have three I bought long, long ago to use with my percussions. I like the PVC ones as they are also cheap and look "professional"....okay, just good. I also like making my own stuff whenever possible. Flint shooting a little different stuff.

home in oz
10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Field dressing.

Yep, that is what I was taught for gutting game and preparing fish for frying.

MT Gianni
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
A long time ago I would leave with 4 premeasured charges in 35mm film containers. I still use them but don't expect to replace them if I loose a lid.