PDA

View Full Version : Primers for cast boolits

Silent
10-21-2010, 07:47 PM
I've been reading my Lyman Reloading Handbook trying to come up with loads for my 30-30, and I've noticed they call out CCI 200 primers for the cast boolits and IMR-3031 for the 30-30. Unfortunately, I can't get CCI 200 primers locally, everywhere is out of stock, and $50 for shipping and hazmat fees is a bit much. What I can get locally is Winchester WLR primers. I noticed the Lyman manual lists 170 grain jacketed bullets using IMR-3031 using WLR primers, and the 173 grain cast using IMR-3031 as being restricted to the CCI-200. Most of the load data I've seen doesn't even reference the primer type.

What's the actual difference between the two primers? I've noticed the WLR makes a tad more pressure, but not huge amounts. Am I asking for trouble using the WLR instead of the CCI 200?

I've got the Lyman Cast Handbook on order, but since they are close to printing, they won't send me a new one, or an old one, so I have no real point of reference.

mooman76
10-21-2010, 07:54 PM
The primer they listed is just what they happened to use. There is very little difference. Some guns or loads you won't notice and smoe will have a little beter preformance. Use what you can get, no problem.

d garfield
10-21-2010, 08:05 PM
If you are having trouble finding primers and powder go to POWDER VALLEY and buy. They will mix you primers and powder in one package and only charge on hazardouse fee $25.. There primers are way cheaper than any where else, but you need to get 2 or 3 thou at a time to make it pay.

Doc Highwall
10-21-2010, 08:30 PM
If you are loading light charges, large pistol primers will work.

mpmarty
10-21-2010, 08:34 PM
If you are loading light charges, large pistol primers will work.

+1 on that!! I've quit using anything but large pistol primers in my cast boolit rifle loads. They work great and I've got close to fifty thousand of them purchased in the summer of 08 before things went nuts.:drinks:

bhn22
10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Go ahead & use what you can get locally. Just start with the starting loads & work your way up (or down) from there.

Silent
10-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Thats why I love this place, fast, reliable answeres to n00bie questions :drinks:

Time to go load up a test batch of IMR-3031 rounds [smilie=w:

Doc Highwall
10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Silent, what you are trying to do is ignite the powder in the case with out pushing the bullet down the barrel which is what happens when too powerful of a primer is used. This is sort of like with the bench rest cases even though they are using a full case of powder the charge is better ignited with small primers for better accuracy.

runfiverun
10-22-2010, 12:50 AM
i use 40k as a rule of thumb when going from pistol to rifle primers.

lwknight
10-22-2010, 01:13 AM
Are cast boolit primers lead free? Or was I was thinking free lead?

Bret4207
10-22-2010, 06:27 AM
I've interchanged CCI, Federal and Remington primers with cast and seen zero difference. I've even interchanged Large Pistol, Standard Rifle and Magnum Rifle with no discernible difference in performance. Were I shooting a match rifle with loads capable of under an inch accuracy I might see the difference, but in 1.5-2.0" loads (and with my eyes) I don't see any diff. BUT- each rifle is an individual, observe and record and maybe you'll find one that shows a preference.

Will
10-22-2010, 06:42 AM
I bought some CCI-SR primers some time ago and didn't notice until I got them home they were bench rest primers. What's the diffrence in BR and standard?

qajaq59
10-22-2010, 08:42 AM
I use Winchester LR primers and IMR 3031 with the Lyman #311041 in my 30-30 as a hunting load. Shoots fine and is accurate in my Winnie. I used to use the CCIs, but I have trouble getting them now.

Silent
10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
I use Winchester LR primers and IMR 3031 with the Lyman #311041 in my 30-30 as a hunting load. Shoots fine and is accurate in my Winnie. I used to use the CCIs, but I have trouble getting them now.

Nice, that's the exact round I'm building. Mind if I ask what your load data is? I'm just starting load development on the 30-30.

Mavrick
10-22-2010, 09:36 AM
As a general rule, standard primers will work anywhere a standard primer is called for. Winchester will sub for CCI just fine. I subbing a Magnum for a standard, it's a very good idea to drop the load 2-5% then work back up. Cast loads are usually quite light(at least the effective ones are). Like Doc Highwall says, you're trying to get the bullet started down the barrel with powder, not the primer.
I've found that R-P 9 1/2s tend to be softer, and work well with cast, especially with faster rifle powders, like 3031, 4895, and 4064. That may be a lot-to-lot variation, though.
I like to at least try pistol primers, from time to time, with the pistol powders like Unique, Red Dot, or Green Dot, in cast bullet rifle loads.
BR-primers are the same as the equivalent standard primer, ie CCI BR2 vs #200, except they take a little more care to make sure of consistency. Unless your rifle is a 1/2 minute rifle, I see no real advantage to the higher price. I'm not picking on CCI, I buy CCI before I buy the others, and I have plenty of the others. I haven't been able to get Wolf locally, but I'll get some.
Most of my shooting is done over a chronograph, so I have more points of reference.
Have fun,
Gene

qajaq59
10-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Silent, you have a PM.

Bret4207
10-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I bought some CCI-SR primers some time ago and didn't notice until I got them home they were bench rest primers. What's the diffrence in BR and standard?

Supposedly they are subjected to more rigorous standards, less variation from primer to primer, lot to lot. I don't know if it's true or if it's ad hype. For a long time Remingtons standard primer was supposed to be the best and they weren't "benchrest" labeled.