PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Rounds of 7.62 NATO Brass.....

BruceB
05-17-2005, 10:59 PM
- weighs 26 pounds boxed for shipping

-takes only FOUR DAYS from the ordering date to travel from Kentucky to Nevada ("will ship in 1-3 days", Bartlett, last Thursday, and it arrived today)

-is a very warm feeling, having that many cases on hand

-is VERY high-quality stuff, if you buy the right stuff from the right people....this is all LC headstamp, UNFIRED, polished and primer crimp removed. It looks just like the cases that come in those Winchester 50-count bags.

Laid-down on my doorstep by BBT, it cost just a few cents short of $10.00 per 100 rounds. That is a heck of a good deal.

NOW, if only the M-14 would show up......

anachronism
05-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I suppose it's a good start. Don't worry, you'll catch up pretty quick at this rate...

Bob

beagle
05-18-2005, 01:53 PM
BruceB....It always amazes me to hear someone talk about military brass after my years in the Army.

1,000 rounds. Man, that's only 1/4 of a Mamee Drum (Myer's Ammunition Module, Emererson Electric).

During VN, I was assigned to Hunter Army Airfield and we trainned Cobra pilots for VN. I ran a shop that repaired all of the gun stuff. We use Air Force SU-11/A pods containing a mini-gun and 1,500 rounds of 7.62 linkless. They'd jam and be brought in and the guys would tear then down. They'd have from 100 rounds to 1500 rounds of ammo in them. I kept two 55 gallon drums in the shop to hold the live rounds that had to be hauled back to the flight line. Darn 7.62 was a nuisance.

How much did I save? Not a round. Didn't even like to mess with it. A bunch of the range crew boys bought Remington 660 and 600 carbines at K-Mart and amused themselves on the range with that abundance. But, how much 7.62 can you shoot in a 3 year tour.

So, enjoy what you got and I wish I could have shoveled a pickup load your way when I had the chance./beagle

Four Fingers of Death
05-19-2005, 06:05 AM
Did you ever watch TV and realise that every time they found a 'cache of guns and ammunition', that you had lots more than the biker gang of whoever it is that got sprung with the gear? do you have more ammo tins than the local army base? Do you buy moulds when they are on special, knowing that one day you will have a gun in that calibre? Did you ever buy a gun because you had a lonely mould sitting at home? The list goes on!

NVcurmudgeon
05-19-2005, 10:46 AM
I have enjoyed many good laughs at the expense of the press. It's amazing how often the "arsenal" in the possession of the gang amounts to three or four pieces. The picture in the newspaper often shows a stern-looking officer and the "arsenal." It would be better to show a picture of the gang, but that might arouse too much public indignation.

Hang Fire
05-21-2005, 01:06 PM
BruceB.... But, how much 7.62 can you shoot in a 3 year tour...

I suppose one tour in country, quite a lot.

Hang Fire
05-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Did you ever watch TV and realise that every time they found a 'cache of guns and ammunition', that you had lots more than the biker gang of whoever it is that got sprung with the gear? do you have more ammo tins than the local army base? Do you buy moulds when they are on special, knowing that one day you will have a gun in that calibre? Did you ever buy a gun because you had a lonely mould sitting at home? The list goes on!

I once heard of a five gallon bucket filled with brass, guy wanted ten bucks. I drove across town to find the bucket full of clean once fired 7.62 National Match. Would you believe I did not even haggle with him.

Next day I went out to Big five and bought a 100 dollar FN Mauser rebarreled by the Israelis to 7.62, the bore was pristine, and so accurate with converted wheel weights as to be scary.

I later whacked and chopped it down into a nice little pseudo scout rifle and I love it. If push ever came to shove, it is the one to go out the door with me.

So, never turn down odd lots of brass, like that blind date which led to a girl who has put up with my foibles for the last 45 years, good things do sometimes match up from random and unplanned events.