PDA

View Full Version : Dupont PB and 44 Special???

swampsavage
10-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I've had a can of PB for a number of years now and never knew what to do with it. Last year a acquired a S&W Mod 24 3" 44 Special. I recently ordered the Lyman Keith SWC mould, #429421, and plan to work up some loads. 'Course there's not much info available for PB (like none) in the current manuals. I have already figured somewhere around 5.5 grains to start but would welcome any other suggestions. Alloys I have available currently are 20-1 and Lyman #2.

I also have A Ruger SBH 44 mag so any light loads for it in PB woud be appreciated also.

thanks

felix
10-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Use GreenDot loads for PB when missing for the latter. ... felix

Rocky Raab
10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
In my copy of Propellant Profiles, 7.4 grains under a 246 LRN gives 790 fps in 44 Special. It also shows that 8.5 under a 250 cast gives 880 in 45 Colt. Based on those two, I'd guesstimate that PB is closer to Unique than Green Dot - but that also means using GreenDot data ought to be perfectly safe.

PB is one of those very useful but unfortunately overlooked powders. Just because it's old doesn't mean it is useless (as Felix and I will heartily attest!)

AZ-Stew
10-20-2010, 08:28 PM
According to the data on the Hodgdon web site, the range for your boolit in .44 Spl. is 4.7 - 5.3 for 757 - 863 fps.

As for the .44 Magnum, I'd suggest that you use the .44 Spl. maximum load as a starting load. The Hodgdon data only goes up to a 200 grain RNFP with PB, but you should be able to make some nice mid-range loads in this cartridge, as well. Be careful, though. You will reach a point where the pressure increases VERY quickly. Keep the velocity down to the 900 - 950 fps range and you'll do well with PB in the Magnum.

I started out loading for 12 ga shotgun MANY years ago using a Lee hand-operated loader and PB powder. As I progressed in my loading and learning, I moved on to SR-7625, (now IMR-7625) because it gave me the same or higher velocities with less pressure, less muzzle blast and less felt recoil. I also use 7625 exclusively in the .41 Magnum for 900 fps loads with a SWC boolit similar to the 429421.

Anyway, you'll be able to use PB in your revolver and have excellent results with it. You may even grow to love it, but don't forget the 7625. It comes very close to filling revolver cases to the bullet base when used in mid-range loads, which will help you find an accurate load.

Nice gun, by the way. I have a 6.5 inch one. I seldom shoot it, it's just too nice to get dirty.

Regards,

Stew

Kraschenbirn
10-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I've got an old (circa 1985) "Dupont Handloaders Guide" that shows a "standard" load of 5.6 gr of PB for the 246 gr lead boolit at 745 fps with a chamber pressure of 13,600 CUP.

Ought to be a good starting point.

Bill

swampsavage
10-21-2010, 03:28 AM
I have loaded for the 44 Mag for almost 40 years now but always with jacketed. The acquisition of the 44 Spl S&W is inspiring me to get into cast for my pistols. I already have all the gear as I cast 500 gr boolits for my 45/70 Sharps. Will also be casting for my 45 ACP's.

thanks again to all who replied.

NoDakJak
10-23-2010, 11:21 PM
I have beaten the drum for PB for several years now. Trrry it! You will like it!! It has approximately the same burn rate as Unique but measures fantastically better. It is also may be the cleanest burning powder that I have shot in fifty years of handloading. My standard load for the 44 Special is 8.0 grains with a 245 grain boolit. That load is not much fun to shoot in my Charter Arms Target Bulldog but great in my other revolvers. PB is probably the greatest sleeper on the market! Ramshots ZIP is probably the second greatest. It can be loaded grain for grain with 231. In my tests with the 32 S&W Long it provided the most accurate of all loads. Hope this helps. Neil

Rocky Raab
10-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Just a point for clarification, NoDakJak: You mention two different powders and then say "it" can be loaded grain for grain with W231. That might confuse a lot of people. Which "it" do you mean?

NoDakJak
10-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Rocky: Clear as mud ehh! Perhaps I shouldn't have made a positive statement like that. Several years ago I conducted a 3,000+ round test with four different revolvers chambered for the 32 S&W Long. Included in that test was ZIP. At that time there was no tested load data with ZIP and cast boolits. When I contacted the company I was told that ZIP had been formulated to have a burn rate extremely close to that of 231 and that I could use 231 data grain for grain. I have burnt several pounds of each powder since and cannot tell any difference than would be exhibited between different lots of each respective powder. 231 is one of the great powders but as far as I can determine, ZIP is every bit as good. I now buy whichever is cheapest. May I suggest that you try a pound of ZIP? I think that you will like it.
Neil

Bass Ackward
10-27-2010, 06:24 AM
No go on the mixes. You just have to try them. I have access to three 44 Spec Rugers and none follows a logical (my thought process anyway) pattern. And I have to stock more darn bullets to have what is needed when it is wanted!

So far; one is a hard bullet, bore diameter gun only. You simply can't get hard enough no matter how fast you go.

Another is about split with it depending on the strength of the design in question. There is no middle ground or compromise on hardness when it decides either. And design has everything to do with preferred diameter.

The third is named Pig Pen. It loves 20-1 and prefers to be a dirty girl. Straight forward and by a wide margin, even when pushed to say +P velocities. Size it anywhere you want mostly. This gun is the sloppiest of the three too. Pick it up and shake it and it will scare ya.

Go figure. So it does pay to ask Professor Gun.

tonyjones
10-27-2010, 11:48 PM
My Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists data for PB with 429421 in the .44 Special. The start load is 4.0 and the max load is 6.0 grains.
Regards,
Tony