PDA

View Full Version : Sour dough starter wanted

Hackleback
09-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey, all you sour doughs out there, I am looking for a starter. If some one has a good starter, I will be happy to pay for shipping. Need some to make bread to go with the venison roasts that will be here shortly.:-D

Thank you

Hackleback
10-04-2006, 07:40 PM
:-? I find it hard to believe that there is no one in this group that does not have a sourdough starter going they would share!!:-?

waksupi
10-04-2006, 08:38 PM
:-? I find it hard to believe that there is no one in this group that does not have a sourdough starter going they would share!!:-?

Hackleback, I don't keep it around, as it seems to cause circumferance growth of my belly, or extreme shrinkage of my trousers, not sure which. I used to bake sourdough bread all the time, and generally ate a whole loaf before it could get cool, just to check the quality.
Make your own starter. Get some flour, and boil up some potatos. Mix the potato water with the flour, and add a spoon of surgur. Cover, keep warm, and you should be in business. I'm sure there ar many other recipes on the web, if you want to do a search.
I know it is rumored that old starter is better than new. Can't prove it by me. I had some starter that was supposed to be around 80 years old, and could not detect a difference from new made.
Good luck, and don't get chubby!

Denver
10-04-2006, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=Hackleback;109555]:-? I find it hard to believe that there is no one in this group that does not have a sourdough starter going they would share!!:-?[/QUOTE

Try here: http://www.castbullet.com

Click on Cooking

Hackleback
10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the assistance and the link! I will have to give this a try!

Ivantherussian03
10-05-2006, 12:26 AM
I start a sourdough every September. They are easy to start. I bake two loaves a week for my self, and another 2 to give away. It is good therapy to make bread by hand, and of course :Fire:

Denver
10-05-2006, 09:37 AM
What size (in quarts) would a 12 inch dutch oven be? A couple recipes I saw calls for a 12 incher, but most are listed in qt size where they're for sale. :confused:

BABore
10-05-2006, 02:59 PM
What size (in quarts) would a 12 inch dutch oven be? A couple recipes I saw calls for a 12 incher, but most are listed in qt size where they're for sale. :confused:

My 12 inch Wagner Dutch oven is 10 quart. It's the stove model, not the style with short legs.

I'm still working with my sourdough starter that I made in 1978. My reicipe just said 1 C. flour, 1 C. warm water, and 1/2 tsp yeast. Over the years I have added a pinch of sugar now and then. For the real McKoy it should be just flour and water. The local microflora (wild yeast) will set the tone. Problem is not all wild yeasties taste good so your at the mercy of your environment. You can get some of the San Francisco strain from the King Arthur Flour Company.

One of the directions, in my sourdough recipes, stated not to let the starter come in contact with any metal. Only use glass or ceramic bowls and wooden spoons until your starter is back in its crock and your only working with the sponge. After that you can use what you want. So far it has worked for me.

MT Gianni
10-05-2006, 06:52 PM
The lodge ovens with legs are 10" 4 quart, 12" standard 5 qt, 12" deep 6 qt, 14" 6 qt. in my best recollection. Gianni.

waksupi
10-05-2006, 07:47 PM
You don't need a dutch oven to do bread. Being an old hick redneck hillbilly, I have made many loaves, in the old tin coffee cans. Allow the unbaked loaf to rise to about the secound ring. They make a nice size loaf. I don't know how they would work in a modern stove, as I have an old Monarch wood cookstove I bake in, and the convection heat in them cooks much better than electric or gas ranges.

David R
10-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I read a bunch about this. I have been making bread for about 10 years. Just started my first sourdough starter. Flour and Water. Nuttin else.

For a few years I only ate my home made bread. Last year my children bought me a Kitchen aid. OMYGOSH how nice. It kneeds the bread For you! Last weekend I made a 2 loaf batch and gave both of them away.

I will let you know how my starter came out in a week or two.

I found a link for postage they will send you some flaked starter. Its orgon Trail Sourdough. Google for the web page. It gives an adress for some starter flakes and directions how to get it going.

David

floodgate
10-05-2006, 11:55 PM
David R:

That KitchenAid is a wonderful tool; Bev has made our own bread for the last 20 years, and it gets a real workout at least once a week. The stuffing attachment also makes great sausage from our pigs and lambs.

As a young girl she was always told "Don't eat fresh bread while it is still hot from the oven; it'll give you a tummy-ache!" That's a LIE; the REAL reason is that fresh, hot bread with a slather of butter and a sprinkle of salt is SO good, the first loaf is usually all gone before it has had a chance to cool off.

Current "starter" has been going for at least ten years; it was primed by whatever happened to be floating by in the air at the time. Nature's Way!

floodgate

David R
10-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Floodgate,

The last gift from my daughter was the pasta maker attachment. It didn't come with the kinves, but I found an herb slicer with 5 round blades that you roll along the pasta and it makes wide spagetti. Its great with sun dried tomatos in it or Basil.

The first one I had stripped a gear. My daughter called Kitchen Aid and they sent me a whole new mixer. The old one was supposed to be picked up by UPS, but they never did so I am going to fix the gear and give it to my daughter when she has her own place.

David

PatMarlin
10-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I'll trade you a rifle for your Monarch Ric. You can take your pic of my collection.. :mrgreen: I've been wanting one of those for a long time.. :drinks:

PS- Can't have my 358 Winny though.

David R
11-09-2006, 12:35 AM
I baked my first loaves from the home grown starter. The bread was awesome. I made a second batch a week later and it never rose. I don't think I used the starter right. I did some surfing and found this place, 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough preservation society. I sent em five bucks and they sent me a small amount of dried starter. I read all the stuff on their website http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

I followed the directions, used only flour and water, no sugar, or potato water. I have 2 loaves in the oven right now. I am waiting for them to bake. The loaves are huge, they took a long time to rise, but are finally baking.

On a side note, I dug up a bunch of horseraddish from my dads last weekend and ground 1/2 of it up tonight, then my blender went up in smoke....Literally.

David