PDA

View Full Version : Reline a barrel???

abunaitoo
10-19-2010, 11:08 PM
What would it cost to reline a rifle barrel?????
I have a few old carbine rifles that have almost no rifling.
One is 7x57 other two are 7.65.
Rifles are probably not worth much.
All original.
Good condition.

I was thinking of turning them into .22.

geargnasher
10-19-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't think relining is going to be your best option, you could rebarrel cheaper and not have to modify the bolt.

You might put up a post in the "Barrel Works" section of the "Gunsmithing" forum here.

Gear

Bret4207
10-20-2010, 06:45 AM
The 7x57 could probably be re bored to 8mm, 30, maybe 35. 8x57 is a great cartridge. A 35 Rem or 35 Whelen, if the action is long enough would be more better. The 7.65, I'm assuming a '91 Argie, would make a great 35 Rem. If it's an '09 the whole world is open from 22 to 458.

Rebores start around $250.00 from what little I've looked plus there's chambering. Still saves time and money over a rebarrel.

Relining is another option, but I've never seen good reports of large CF relining. I would hunt around and ask more people. Maybe it's and option and you just don;t hear about it much.

22? As in 22 LR? Converting a CF rifle to 22RF would be a lot of trouble.

Char-Gar
10-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Either a rebore to a larger caliber or a liner to the same caliber could be done. Providing there is enough meat in the barrel and each method requirements are different.

I realize there are others who will day.."I did it with no problems", but I would not reline a barrel if I am talking about a high pressure round like the 7X57. If some of that pressure gets loose and gets between the liner and barrel, things could get nasty.

All in all, I think the rebore is a better option.