PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon trap 100

castalott
09-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi All...
I have been told that Hodgdon trap 100 is very,very similiar to the old 452AA Winchester powder. Can anyone expound on this? Thanks in advance!
Dale

35remington
09-25-2006, 08:53 PM
I can try. It's a ball powder that was made by Olin, which was where Hodgdon obtained their ball powders. It attained some notoriety (452AA) among the IPSC crowd who claimed the recoil impulse was more of a push than a rap in the .45 ACP. It was most commonly used with the Hensley and Gibbs #68 type bullet. It is clean burning. It's a silvery, very fine rolled ball powder. Trap 100 and 452AA appear identical, near as I can tell.

Hodgdon's #26 and earlier has data for the .45 ACP and others using Trap 100. Most are pretty mild velocities, moderate to standard velocity loads. I've still got 2 lbs. of Trap 100 left and am evaluating it in the .25-20 for subsonic use (1080 fps) using the RCBS Cowboy flatpoint and the 80 grain GC and plainbase Lee group buy bullets. It shows some promise there and meters very well. But when it's gone, I'll be able to get no more. My supply will last quite awhile because the charge weights needed for subsonic loads in the .25-20 are small.

Four Fingers of Death
09-26-2006, 06:36 AM
I bought a big keg of 452AA and used in 38 loads in my 586. It was good, but after I spent a day at the range, I looked like a steam train driver, :-)

My son solved the problem for me and ignited a cupfull at a time in a baked bean tin to impress hid friends. Took about 25-30 lbs of other powder as well. I had locks, etc on the doors, but he was a mad scientist type and removed the whole window!

I was too scared to touch him when I got home!

Mick.