PDA

View Full Version : Another question about big presses

38-72
05-17-2005, 09:38 PM
If you had to chose between two RCBS presses (Big MAX or the New Rock Chucker Supreme) which would you chose and why?

klw
05-18-2005, 07:04 PM
I liked that press. Really wish that I hadn't sold mine. Now, of course, if you can find one they are REALLY expensive.

I had a friend who made custom ammunition. While he loaded a lot of calibers, he did a fair business in really big rounds for double rifles. He owned three Big Max's. One was in use. One was in reserve. And one he had broken and was back at RCBS getting a replacement. Lifetime warrenty was something RCBS probably regretted with this guy.

Still the Big Max is something of a minor collector's item. The Rock Chucker Supreme never will be.

azrednek
05-19-2005, 12:50 AM
If you have a connection on a Big Max by all means grab it while you can.

Iron River Red
05-19-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm not familiar with the presses mentioned. Are they bigger than the Ammomaster? I load and shoot heavy calibers (338's, 450's and 50 bmg) and have 2 presses for reloading these. The Ammomaster is the most press and leverage of any I have ever used. I currently have 7 presses on my tables and the newest is a Lee 50 bmg press. It is a heavy cast frame with plenty of leverage, but the powdered metal parts have not held up to the BMG stresses. With the capacity for 1.5" dies and a hollow ram it is great for large calibers, just not enough for the "BIG" one.

I would like more information on this older RCBS unit you spoke of.

Ross
05-19-2005, 07:02 PM
The new Rockchucker Supreme has a higher window than the A-4 Big Max, and while it is not nearly so heavy, it is competent for most usual forming jobs.
Any time you can get a Big Max you should not pass up the opportunity.
Generally nowadays they do not sport the old universal shellholders, but take the current shellholder button heads.
The Ammomaster is taller and can be set up so that it can be fitted with .50 BMG dies.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

locutus
05-22-2005, 11:36 PM
38-72,

Have you looked at the Redding "Big Boss?" It's quite a machine!

klw
05-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Redding had planned to make two versions of their new turret, the one that they brought out and one that was never marketed. Redding was thinking about bring out a limited die line where the outside diameter of the dies were much wider and the threads were different. Never happened. Never knew what they were planning on offering nor what dies might have been included.

There is nothing wrong with the new Redding turret but the turrets themselves are just to expensive to buy several.

dromia
05-24-2005, 04:18 PM
If I got the chance to purchase a Big Max I'd buy it no question.

However I reckon that the Redding Ultra Mag is the gnats knackers when it comes to current production big presses, I love mine and its as smooth as a nuns chumpff.

I also have a Rockchucker and a co-ax single stage presses, a Redding 25 and a T7 turrets and an RCBS Ammomaster progressive and a Hornady L-N-L AP, they all do the bisuness but the Ultra Mag has the power edge.

tracker
05-30-2005, 09:26 AM
What about the Redding Ultra Mag Press. It looks to be massive in size. Anybody have one?

Tracker

Buckshot
06-01-2005, 02:28 AM
What about the Redding Ultra Mag Press. It looks to be massive in size. Anybody have one?

Tracker

Ah.............. read the post right above yours :-)

.............Buckshot

tracker
06-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Well
Buckshot, I feel like I let a big fart at the dinner table. I didn't know that the Ultra Mag and Big Max are one in the same :razz:

Tracker

GONRA
09-04-2019, 05:38 PM
GONRA nos this is another "big fart at the dinner table" but here goes....

Once you get near .50 BMG case sizes - MIGHT BE tyme to warm up yer wallet and get a Really HUGE Robust Press.

RELIABLY resizing REALLY large cases and maintaining desired headspace tolerances / etc. REQUIRES A MONSTER PRESS.
CH4D's "Rock Crusher" is the only game in town.

BE SURE TO USE: STP Oil Treatment (Auto Parts Stores) or TriFlow Synthetic Grease (Bike Shops) for case lube.

(Above is especially for SEMIAUTO reloading. Bolt actions are easier....)

15meter
09-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Far out man! Archeology Man! Resurrecting a 14 year old thread! I thought I was one of the few that dragged stuff up from the dead.

Minerat
09-04-2019, 09:52 PM
Just got to show, some of the old threads are still worth resurrecting. :grin:

I read thrue it until I got to Buckshot's post before I saw it was OOOLLLDDD.

Hamish
09-04-2019, 10:05 PM
GONRA nos this is another "big fart at the dinner table" but here goes....

Once you get near .50 BMG case sizes - MIGHT BE tyme to warm up yer wallet and get a Really HUGE Robust Press.

RELIABLY resizing REALLY large cases and maintaining desired headspace tolerances / etc. REQUIRES A MONSTER PRESS.
CH4D's "Rock Crusher" is the only game in town.

BE SURE TO USE: STP Oil Treatment (Auto Parts Stores) or TriFlow Synthetic Grease (Bike Shops) for case lube.

(Above is especially for SEMIAUTO reloading. Bolt actions are easier....)

Respectfully disagree on this one. The CH4D press may or may not be capable of more leverage than a RCBS AMMOMASTER2, but the RCBS is $300 and change versus $1900 and change, and it was designed for reloading .50 BMG.