PDA

View Full Version : Cast 22 hornet

Jim,In
10-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Need to ask a question, how do you flare the case for cast bullet. Right now I'm using a ballpoint pen with a brass cone and doing it by hand. Jim

Gohon
10-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Lee universal expander die works very well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=140461

Jim,In
10-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Thank you, Jim

DLCTEX
10-19-2010, 09:38 AM
+1 on the Lee.

Larry Gibson
10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I've both the Lee and a Lyman M-die. I prefer the Lyman M-die because it also correctly sizes the inside diameter of the case neck. The "flare" portion created a little stepped area so the bullet can be seated and aligned in the case holding it straight as it enters the seating die. I adjust mine so the GC is just inside the case neck and it holds the bullets perfectly for seating. The Lee is simply a funnel shape and the bullets can get kitty wampus real easy. I've scrunched too many of the very, very thin .22 Hornet necks with both cast and jacketed bullets to not use the Lyman M-die. So I recommend the M-d ie.

Larry Gibson

Bad Water Bill
10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Larry Just FOUR more to go and you loose all of those nice PB looking things. :-)

Iowa Fox
10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
The Lyman M die is the only way to go for all cast. I have tried everything and yes you can get the bullet jammed in but the M die works the best.

beagle
10-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I'll second the Lyman M die for expanding on the Hornet. Nice little round with cast./beagle

NVScouter
10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I like the LEE and may I sugest a .22 cal powder funnel instead of a universal for the little Hornet cases. I also made a loading block for them since they are so small.

Bullshop
10-19-2010, 02:06 PM
This may be just a little off topic but you are at least talking 22 hornet.
I like all the small case 22's and have numerous molds for them. I just recently tried the Ranch Dog design in the hornet and it has quickly worked its way to my top choice for the hornet.
The design nicely fills the throat of even my generously proportioned Ruger 22 hornet. It is not a high BC design but for the hornet it need not be. It is the RF or ogival wadcutter designed so much preferred by hand gun hunters today.
I have tried the Lee Bator but never had an easy time with it getting good groups. Of the two designs that are both readily available I much prefer the RD design. A big bonus for me is that it is absolutely perfect for my Ruger single six in 22 ccm.
Anyone waiting on Midsouth and the Bator should consider the Ranch Dog design. The length is also compatable with a twist as slow as 1/16" as in my Ruger single six.

Gohon
10-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Bullshop, if you don't mind, what was the load you are using with the RD design in your Hornet. I just got the mould Saturday and it casts beautifully. However my first trial of using the suggested load from RD of 10.4 grains of Lil'Gun didn't pan out so well. This was shooting a H&R with the 1&12 twist. Haven't tried it in the Browning yet which has a 1&16 twist.

Bullshop
10-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Well Sir I am not sure of all that I tried. I generaly start with slow powders for the caliber. With the hornet that is usually Reloader #7. I never did weigh the charge but do know it was 100% load denisty. Very easy to determin by using a fired case and putting in enough powder so that when the boolit is set on the powder it is at the OAL you want then weigh that charge. That is your 100% charge. That load of Re#7 shot good. Another powder I like is 4759 and use the same procedure and I also tried some Norme #200.
I think the fastest powder I used when I was messing with the RD design was H 4227. I started at 8.5gn but dont remember where I ended up. All the powders I tried did well but for some reason the Re #7 shot much higher than the rest. All other powders shot to the same POI.
This was all very informal so nothing got logged. My gang was away for the day so I spent it just having fun.