PDA

View Full Version : lyman big dipper furnace starter kit

Autowood
10-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Howdy All,
Been enjoying this forum and searched to find an answer to this question:
Will the Lyman 10 lb cast iron pot fit into the lyman big dipper furnace starter kit?

The reason is to clean dross from scrap. I've found pouring will leave dross behind and is more efficient than skimming.

If so, would you recommend this for casting 250 to 500 boolits per week for a 230 gr 45 ACP?

lwknight
10-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Are you talking about using the 10 pound pot as a crucible or a replacement?

I would not want anything smaller tham a 20 pound pot for casting big slugs.
My Lee 20 pounder holds 16 pounds running over full. I like to keep about 10 pounds in it for casting. I add ingots as needed. Anyway the 500 230 grainers will take 16 pounds of alloy so a 10 pound pot with say 7 pounds in it would only make about 150 boolits before you have to add more to it.

Then your molds will get cold while waiting for the pot to recover from the assualt of ingots.

Autowood
10-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Are you talking about using the 10 pound pot as a crucible or a replacement?

I would not want anything smaller tham a 20 pound pot for casting big slugs.
My Lee 20 pounder holds 16 pounds running over full. I like to keep about 10 pounds in it for casting. I add ingots as needed. Anyway the 500 230 grainers will take 16 pounds of alloy so a 10 pound pot with say 7 pounds in it would only make about 150 boolits before you have to add more to it.

Then your molds will get cold while waiting for the pot to recover from the assualt of ingots.

The cast iron pot is a crucible. I also have three cast iron Dutch ovens and an outside BBQ that would do the job. Got my first 5g bucket of ww and 5lbs of 95/5 Tin/Atimony solder and am ready to cast.

lwknight
10-19-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't know about the lyman big dipper furnace starter kit but I hear ya on the pouring thing. I use a 5 pound crucible. Really its a capacitor cover with vice grips clamped on it but , it works great for making ingots.