PDA

View Full Version : weighing RANCH DOG boolits now

jeff223
09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
i now have a scale so i can weight some cast boolits.i cast some RANCH DOGS yesterday using straight wheel weight lead and i weighted them.this is a balance beam scale so the ones that were alittle heavy went into one pile and the ones that hit the line went into a pile and the ones that were just under the line went into another pile.

i then added a gas check to one boolit from the heavy pile and a gas check to one boolit from the light pile and then weighted them

on the heavy side the boolit weighted 278.4 gr
on the light side the boolit weighted 277.5 gr

they are very close and i dont think i even need to sort by weight or do you think sorted boolits will print better at 100yds?would one grain make any differance?

what do you guys think?

StarMetal
09-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Jeff,

That does one grain make any difference is a loaded question. The simple answer is yes. But the big question is make a difference for what? Plinking? No Hunting? No Competition target shooting? Yes

Joe

Newtire
09-27-2006, 11:01 AM
HI Jeff,
My RanchDog is also very uniform weight. I put a check on mine and they weigh 277-278gr. Like Joe says, for hunting, more than good. The Ruger .44 rifle I have is not exactly a match rifle so am happy with 2" @50yds. I have gotten 1 1/4" but 2" seems more like the norm. The .444 Marlin 444SS...Now is that a match rifle? Most folks would say no except for those who have one. It is a pretty amazing rifle. When all 5-shots are touching across the top of the bullseye..well, they are awful big boolits. Those big slugs should be just about right for anything up to a moose. The 300 gr. Lee is another performer but that new bullet is about it's equal for accuracy in the Marlin.

jeff223
09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
looks like my weights are right in there with the others shooting this boolit.

everyone shooting this boolit is having good luck with it and my thanks to RANCH DOG for letting me run a group buy on this great mold.

the big bore shooters that didnt get in on the deal really missed out.maybe next time for them