PDA

View Full Version : where to get alloy from

catkiller45
09-25-2006, 10:06 AM
[smilie=1: Hello all..I am in New York state and am looking for a source of tin and some lead..Is there any place in the state that sells this or can I order it from someplace..Right now,I need some tin to mix with the lead to make bullets for my Trapdoor rifle.Thanks..Johnny:coffee:

Buckshot
09-25-2006, 10:20 AM
...........Hi Johnny. Midway sells pure lead, tin and it's alloys. I haven't checked lately but pure tin was running about $7 - 8/lb last time I did. You could check at a radiator shop and they might have a couple buckets of drippings from their solder tank on hand. Those drippings are about 60/40 lead tin (after all the crap is fluxed off).

Possibly check at a scrap yard to see if they have any old lead pipe as the connections are very high tin content.

..............Buckshot

h2oman55
09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
...........Hi Johnny. Midway sells pure lead, tin and it's alloys. I haven't checked lately but pure tin was running about $7 - 8/lb last time I did. You could check at a radiator shop and they might have a couple buckets of drippings from their solder tank on hand. Those drippings are about 60/40 lead tin (after all the crap is fluxed off).

Possibly check at a scrap yard to see if they have any old lead pipe as the connections are very high tin content.

..............Buckshot

Buckshot
Do you mean the connection we use to call the (dogknot)? I have about 1000 LBS of old lead water pipe but i haven't been saving the connections.
h2oman55

Buckshot
09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Buckshot
Do you mean the connection we use to call the (dogknot)? I have about 1000 LBS of old lead water pipe but i haven't been saving the connections.
h2oman55

..........Yup, dat's it! If you cut the pipe off close on either side and melt it down you'd prolly be at about 30% tin

..........Buckshot

catkiller45
09-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Does antimony effect the bullets I waant to make for my Pedersoli sharps rifle..I have sevel lbs of wheel weights and some soft lead..But I want to save the lead for my TD rifle..Tell what is a good ally to use in the sharps rifle..John

wills
09-26-2006, 08:09 PM
If you intend to shoot blackpowder you probably do not need antimony. You can get lead, tin, antimony and alloys from The Antimony Man at http://www.theantimonyman.com

Buckshot
09-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Does antimony effect the bullets I waant to make for my Pedersoli sharps rifle..I have sevel lbs of wheel weights and some soft lead..But I want to save the lead for my TD rifle..Tell what is a good ally to use in the sharps rifle..John

...........If you're using smokless in the Sharps then WW metal is all you need for about as far as you can stand to go!

.............Buckshot

Bret4207
09-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Catkiller- Whereabouts are you located?

catkiller45
09-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I am outside of Ithaca....Toward Perry City off 96 north..

catkiller45
09-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Buck shot,

My intended use was to use Black Powder in the rifle..But I have so damn many wheel weights..I do not really do much competeing any more..So maybe I will use smokeless for a while and see how it works..I have never tried this before.so I suppose I better do some reading about it are ask more questions..

Such as weather I can finger seat the bullet with smokeless or not..Should I full length size and add a crimp....See what I mean.....

I do have some soft lead and need to get some tin for the making of 30 to 1 or what ever I decide to use.....As I will be needing some ammo for the trapdoor as well....I just enjoy shootin these rifles...So what the heck...Do what I have to do I guess Buck.....Thanks for all the interesting information and I welcome coments now as well...You guys are alright in my book.......John

45 2.1
09-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Buck shot,

My intended use was to use Black Powder in the rifle..But I have so damn many wheel weights..I do not really do much competeing any more..So maybe I will use smokeless for a while and see how it works..I have never tried this before.so I suppose I better do some reading about it are ask more questions..

Such as weather I can finger seat the bullet with smokeless or not..Should I full length size and add a crimp....See what I mean.....

I do have some soft lead and need to get some tin for the making of 30 to 1 or what ever I decide to use.....As I will be needing some ammo for the trapdoor as well....I just enjoy shootin these rifles...So what the heck...Do what I have to do I guess Buck.....Thanks for all the interesting information and I welcome coments now as well...You guys are alright in my book.......John

Mix 1/2 WW and 1/2 very soft lead for your alloy. LEE makes a 45 cal. 405 gr. hollow base boolit that usually casts out large. Get one, cast some and air cool them, then hand lube it with a soft BP lube and try that with 23 gr of SR4759 in the 4570 for your rifles. I think you will be pleased.

wills
09-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Some have reported favorable results shooting WW with black. Why not cast up a few boolits and see how you do. If you insist loading that whitepowder stuff, you are probably going to have to crimp your boolits, as the whitepowder will not fill the case, which can be a problem; you can blow a rifle all to flinders with that whitepowder stuff.

catkiller45
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah,I know there are some dangerous thing that happen with nitro powder and with black as well..I have been trying several different alloy mix with wheel weights and soft lead..And with the black powder goex 3 f and 3f...Now mind you this is in my trapdoor rifle and nothing seems to work so far.

So I figure long as i have all them WW's,I might as well use them in something..And I know ,you guys hate the word smokeless,but what the hell..I hate it when I see guys shooting the fake ppowder in thier musket loaders..So ifin I want to shoot the WW's in either my Pedersoli or the TD rifle I think it has to be nitro..From what I am hearing if it aint a nice soft alloy it will not bump up in the bore..I just want to shoot these guns and have some fun with them..

I'm sure you have to understand that much of it..I have the Lee 405 HB mold and I am getting about 6 to 8 inch groups at 150 yards using the Goex 3 F pan lubed.etc...Who knows maybe the rifle wouldn't even shoot worth a damn with the nitro stuff..Time and testing will tell..Thanks for all your replys anyway men..I will be shooting and testing this and if you want I can post my findings...John

wills
09-28-2006, 11:52 AM
I always though WW was a lot harder than most alloys used in BP, but this chart seems to indicate it is comparable to 30/1.
http://www.pnjresources.com/Hardness%20of%20Lead%20Alloys.htm

Either way, might be a good idea to stick with BP in that trapdoor.