PDA

View Full Version : Sunday afternoon shoot

waksupi
09-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Yesterday, I recieved an invitation to go to a .22 trailwalk shoot, to be held this afternoon. It was 35 miles to the site, but I decided to go anyway, considering the weather was nice.
The shoot was being put on by a new shooting club, and I was told it was a fun shoot. When I got there, I found out it was five bucks per match. So, this was no longer a fun shoot. You don't get charged for a fun shoot.
Next thing that happened, I was introduced to a nice lady, who was club treasurer and secretary.
Only, she wasn't so nice, as she had her rifle pointed at my midsection, and was covering my buddy on the swing.
I told her to watch where she was pointing her rifle. She informed me it was OK, as it wasn't loaded.
We should have left at that point.
Anyway, we went up to the course, in a couple different groups, shooting rifle and pistol. Targets were various sizes, at various ranges up to 125 yards or so. I was shooting my Mossberg M44, and Ruger 22/45.
My buddy and I were keeping a close watch on the others, and saw more awkward, and dangerous firearms handling, than I have ever had the misfortune to be around. They were all import wannabe Montanans.
We (our group) were doing all of our shooting offhand, as that is how we understood the shots to be taken. When we finished the course, we backtracked to watch the next group, and found them shooting, leaning on trees, and shooting from kneeling, sitting, and prone. Apparently they thought that was what offhand meant.
My buddy and I were also keeping an eye on the score keeper in our group. He neglected to mark four hits for me on rifle, and five pistol targets for my friend. When we tried to point it out, he would go off on some tangent on an entirely different subject.
Needless to say, the club members won most of the prizes. I still managed to get secound in pistol. It was pretty hard to fudge me out of that.
In rifle, the first place was a turkey, secound a chicken. In Pistol, first place was a ham, and secound, which I got, was a can of Vienna sausage. Strange, there was another turkey in the cooler, that wasn't awarded to anyone. By that time, I was ready to shove the sausage up thier ass.
I will never attend this shoot again. It was the most half assed, dangerous, and underhanded shoot I have attended in many years.
May they prosper, and only shoot fellow club members. So much for the imported new citizens of our area. Heaven help us.

Frank46
09-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Better check the sell by date on the can. Could've been some crap someone had in their closet. Frank

bruce drake
09-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Although I am several states away, let people know what the name of this "club" is so we can avoid it's future attempts at "fun" shooting matches.

Bruce

swheeler
09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Doesn't sound like much fun to me! They could've atleast had the decency to award you a can of SPAM or let you lick and sniff the other turkey!

waksupi
09-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Although I am several states away, let people know what the name of this "club" is so we can avoid it's future attempts at "fun" shooting matches.

Bruce

Bruce, it is such a small organization, I suspect it will be defunct by next spring, so will not embarrass them at this time. It is unlikely anyone from out of the area would be attending thier shoots.

swheeler
09-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Come on Ric, you'll be back, mutton 1st place next time! A winner never quits and a quiter never wins.