PDA

View Full Version : Good molds for a T/C New Englander?

C A Plater
09-24-2006, 08:48 PM
I picked up a nice used .50 caliber one at a gun show this weekend and was wondering what molds work well in these T/C rifles. I'd like to stick with genuine black and lead for deer and such instead of the sabot and substitue stuff. So, what works good in these smoke poles?

Joel Lehman
09-24-2006, 11:59 PM
I use a 490 RB for hunting and a 495 RB for target shooting. Wal Mart pillow ticking is used for the patch. Both Lee and Lyman make excellent moulds. The Lee moulds are about 1/4 the cost of a Lyman set of moulds and handles.

Joel Lehman, Austin TX

curator
09-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Try the Lee 250 grain R.E.A.L. bullet. It shoots very accurately in my New Englander, and is a great hunting bullet. I load it under 70 grains of FFFg, and lube it with 50/50 bee'swax/lard. This combo will hold under 4" at 100 yards. Does kick a bit more than the rb!

versifier
09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Don't overlook MaxiBalls. That's what it was designed for. That's not to say you shouldn't try everything you can get your hands on through it. Every barrel is a universe unto itself and has its personal preferences in powder, charge and projectile. The fun is in finding it out.

StarMetal
09-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Maxi-Balls are all I've ever used in my 50 cal BP rifles for over 30 years. I don't need no fancy sabot or jacketed bullets out of my TC's. The Maxi-Ball put the venison on the table, are accurate, and easy to load...what more you need.

Joe

Old Ironsights
09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Try the Lee 250 grain R.E.A.L. bullet. It shoots very accurately in my New Englander, and is a great hunting bullet. I load it under 70 grains of FFFg, and lube it with 50/50 bee'swax/lard. This combo will hold under 4" at 100 yards. Does kick a bit more than the rb!

I'll second the 250 LEE Real. If you need more weight, go with the 360 LEE tradtional Minnie.

I've found the Minnies to be more forgiving than the Maxis, plus base obturation/seal is better with harder alloys without needing a jackhammer to ram it home.

C A Plater
09-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the great info. I've got an offer from a forum member for a TC mould and I ordered a Lee combo round ball, Real mold. I need finish my reloacation get moved to the new home and find some pure lead before I cast some up. In the mean time, I'll be practicing with some purchased round balls to get the hang of shooting the muzzleloader.

Old Ironsights
09-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Good call. That's a really useful mold. Best of all worlds.

omgb
09-28-2006, 01:12 AM
If you end up needing a maix-ball mould in 50 cal, PM me. I've got a SAECO 4 holer I'd like to turn into something else. I sold the gun to obssd1958:Fire:

NickSS
09-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I have used a TC maxi hunter mold and also used RB and Hornagy Great Plains bullets in My New Englander. They all will print groups of around 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards with the rifles open sights. The only deer I killed with that rifle was shot with a Maxi Hunter bullet I cast myself. Bulet performance was good and my rifle likes 80 Gr of GOEX FFG with that bullet.