PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the

onesonek
10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
.454-320 and .45-70-405
I / we did get the new cast boolits for both the .454 and .45-70 shot today.
it was a quick informal affair, not what I would call an extensive or even good range test. Time was pressed. But,,,, While my son Matt and his father in law were checking out their main rifles, I just start plinking with the Marlin at what looked like a broken grade stake on the lower bank of the gravel pit,,,mostly just to foul the bore. The first 2 shots were low by a foot,,,range was laser'd at 160yds. I gave the third round alil elevation, (the front bead covered the orange on the stake as it was) and let it go. The stake disappeared,,,:lol: Beca, matt's wife said she saw splinters flying. I was shooting from my home made X-stix. Now they were done with the target which was at 140 yds for PBR high distance of 3.5" on Rons gun. I aimed at the top center of the target, and hit 1" right and 6" low. Moved the ramp on the rear up 1 notch and the second was center 2.5" low... Matty took over and put 5 rounds off the stix into a 2" group, then walked up half way and shot 3 more offhand standing into a 2.5"group centered 2.75" high. Unfortunately, i didnt have the chrono along so I don't knw what the speed was, But later next time when more time is available.
Then we started playing with .454,,again we just plinked 8 out to foul the bore. I gave the Ultra Dot LT 10 moa elevation from the last plinker. Matty took over at 50yds from the target, and offhanded 3 touching centered 1.5" high. I left it alone with that setting. I haven't ran the program on that yet, but suspect it will back on around 70-80, and he won't have to adjust even though he likely won't be shooting much if any over 25-30 yds in the timber.
He decided to take the Encore .454-320's along with his 7mag next week to CO for Elk. He really liked the Marlin, but figured the pistol might be easier when in close while hunting inside the timber. And he really like the UD/LT once he shot it.

It will be fun to really spend more time with these 2, and see really what they doing, But all in all, I was very happy with what I had seen so far, and 25 grs. H-110 behind the 320 gr in the .454 and 52 grs. of Benchmark behind the 405 in the .45-70 were really quite pleasant to shoot I thought. Matt thought the .45-70 was stout, but then hes never shot such a rig or load before. I can only take a guess at the velocities, next time I will chrono them, but suspect 13-1400 out of the .454 and 16-1700 in the Marlin. More than I really planned on, but will make adjustments after I chrony them. Just wanted to get something going rather quick not knowing what Matt wanted to take to CO. for a timber rig.