PDA

View Full Version : To bore ride or not to bore ride, 10mm

JTknives
10-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I am in the process of redesigning my 200gr WFN for my 10mm glock and am wondering if making the nose a bore rider would do anything. im basickley wanting this design but with a gas check and a larger nose as well as being 200gr and not 180gr. any ideas. my 200grs shoot great as thy are right now but im wanting to try a GC so i thought i would ask about the bore riding.

http://www.keithrussell.net/10rn.jpg

x101airborne
10-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Wow, those are some P-retty castings. I could learn a lot from your technique. Good on ya!!

JTknives
10-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Wow, those are some P-retty castings. I could learn a lot from your technique. Good on ya!!

thy are not mine and as well as the picture.

mpmarty
10-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't understand your question. In a pistol bullet a bore rider would look like a double ended wad cutter. Probably not what one would want in a semi auto. In a revolver they might work OK. I shoot 200 gr. in my 10mm all the time but they look a lot like those you show in the photo. Just longer (slightly).:bigsmyl2:

Bret4207
10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Considering case capacity, bearing length and OAL requirements, I think a bore rider in an auto pistol would be....well, wasted effort. I'm not a huge fan of the bore rider concept in rifles, in a pistol it seems like you'd be asking for feed issues and as the throat wears you'd be stuck at one good OAL for feeding reliability. Plus the shorter bearing length MIGHT play havoc with accuracy or crimp depending on nose length.

But hey, what do I know? I suppose you could try it if you have the extra funds.

JTknives
10-18-2010, 03:08 PM
i dont think you are understanding what i want to9 do. i want to make a boolit thats the EXZACT same as in the above picture. the onley diffrence is that it would be 200gr and have a gas check. my question is do i gain anything by having that step (bore ride) on the nose. look at the picture and you will see the the Ogive of the nose ends at a step befor the first band. im wondering if this searves a purpus.

Bret4207
10-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Okay, got it. That's not a bore rider in the sense that we commonly refer to in cast boolit design. I suppose you could call it that if you wanted, but it's just part of the lead into ogive of the boollt nose. That squared step, what we'd refer to as the shoulder in a SWC design, does help scrape the bore I suppose and also may help cut paper on targets. The best reason I can think of to keep it is to help establish the end of the bearing length area for your crimp.

A bore rider is usually an elongated section of bore diameter (or slightly larger), usually of significant length, that serves to guide and support the nose. The main body on a bore rider is groove diameter or larger. As far as I know it's limited to rifle designs. Designs like yours are usually referred to as RN or RN FP. I've seen them with and without the pronounced step.

Something to keep in mind, when you add the GC to that design and lengthen it you're going to change the center of gravity- a lot. Have you thought about how you intend to handle that? Short nose and longer body or longer nose and same body?

JTknives
10-18-2010, 05:37 PM
what im wanting to do is to take my curerent boolit design which is pictured below. and reduec the size of the lube groove and add a gas check. then if there was any advantage i would add a nose step like in the first picture i posted. i can keep the OAL about the same so that wont be a problem. i was just wondering if adding a nose step would be worth it or have any advantage. like i said i have a mould i made for the boolit pictured below and it shoots great i would or need to just tweek a few things. the luge grove is to wide to hold lube very well so that needs to be changed as well as adding a GC.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs759.snc4/65928_1666521869910_1443189422_31750457_2773645_n. jpg

sqlbullet
10-18-2010, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't bother. Don't see any relative gain, and to keep the weight up, you will have to add the lead you remove back elsewhere. Longer nose may impact function, longer body means less room for powder.

But, I don't see a lot of value in a gas check on a 10mm. Maybe I am just lucky, but I run 175 gr SWC full power without any leading. I just see the gas check as an extra $3 per hundred I gotta pay.

To each his own. Still interested to see the finished bullet and hear your results!

Bret4207
10-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Do you think you'll gain 20 grains by reducing the lube groove after adding the GC shank? As far as the step, I think it's up to you. I don;t think there is a real need for it, but it does give you a spot to aim for in COAL.