PDA

View Full Version : 40 Years' Casting, and NOW Comes the Tinsel Fairy

BruceB
09-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Not a good day.

I'd been prepping some new .45-70 cases for their first loading, and left my dusty, grubby backyard loading shed for a while. When I returned, a stack of those Glad plastic boxes full of boolits had collapsed, and dumped several hundred boolits all over the floor. Some were as-cast, which isn't a problem, but my shed is DUSTY from the desert winds, and the lubed .338 bullets were unsalvageable due to contamination.

Sooooo.....I fired up the furnace to remelt them. I brought the pot up to full temp, and began dumping in the boolits, and....POW! Obviously, one of the sticky bullets had glommed onto a live primer somewhere on the floor, and it did what primers do, when reaching a certain temperature. I'd drawn the full RCBS pot down to about 1/2-full before adding the bad bullets, and looking at the splash patterns, it's obvious that the sides of the pot directed most of the spray upwards. It would have been MUCH worse if the pot had been near full. Splatters are visible on the roof /ceiling up to six feet or so away from the furnace, but relatively little went sideways. Still, there was enough to generously anoint a lot of "stuff" in the general area.

I got quite a few ornaments on my T-shirt and jeans, but only a few minor bits stuck in the hairs of my arms....no burns at all. No face problems, either, and I was looking right at it when it blew, near as I can recall. A couple droplets ended up in my "head hair" (as opposed to "beard hair", which got none).

The one thing I did right was that, just before dumping in the bullets, I donned my leather casting gloves and safety glasses. As it turned out, the glasses weren't splattered, but I was VERY grateful to have them in the echoing silence after the explosion, and before examining the evidence.

As the Sergeant on Hill Street Blues always said, "BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!" Forty years of experience doesn't protect anyone any more than a newbie (who might actually act a little safer than us grizzled ol' veterans....who should know better).

NVcurmudgeon
09-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Sorry for the mess you have to clean up, but good to read that you weren't badly hurt. My tinsel fairy visitation was also caused by a live primer that a friend, loading with gay abandon, had dropped into a bucket of WW awaiting smelting. Luckily for me I had glasses on, and had stepped back waiting for the latest addition to melt. My pot blew alloy to the ten foot ceiling, and it wasn't too bad a mess to clean up. (Wonder how high a primer can launch alloy.) When I got back to smelting, I carefully went through the remainder of the bucket and found another live primer stuck under the clip on a WW.

cabezaverde
09-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Not doubting anyone - it just seems hard to believe a primer could push heavy alloy that far.

Shepherd2
09-24-2006, 10:37 PM
A drop of water can do the same thing. My visit from the Tinsel Fairy came when I stirred the alloy in the pot. Earlier I had used Marvelux to flux and being a humid day the residue on the spoon had attracted moisture. The spoon looked dry but when I stuck it in the melt the pot erupted. Tinsel everywhere. I got a couple minor burns but my safety glasses took a direct hit and had to be replaced. Years later I never cast without safety glasses on and I never use Marvelux.

dragonrider
09-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Was smelting some lead pipe once and had a pot full of hot lead and stuck a piece of lead pipe in the pot. Man it was like Mt St Helens going off, a bubbleing stream of lead came up throught the pipe and literaly blew my hand away from the piece of pipe, I was wearing heavy leather welding gloves so not damage was done to me but there was lead everwhere. seems there was a large amount of crud in the pipe that was quite damp. This was years ago and I haven't added cold lead to a hot pot since, usually fill the cold pot with lead and let it heat up and do just one pot a day. Even when casting I preheat ingots with a propane torch before going into the casting pot. Lead can be scary stuff for sure.
I would suggest to anyone who has had a visit from the tinsel fairy that when you clean up leave some in a visible spot as a reminder.

MT Gianni
09-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I had a visit when I cleaned up some old lead culls on the bench and put them in the pot after a session. I had also grabbed a nickle 38 special case, primed of course. The pot was unplugged and the alloy cooling when I set the old cast culls on the bench. I went back in the house as the pot was in the garage and heard the boom when I had just shut the door. Glad to see your eyes still measure 2 and you can count to 10 on your fingers. Gianni.

Buckshot
09-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Not doubting anyone - it just seems hard to believe a primer could push heavy alloy that far.

.............I think it was Rick Jamison who was doing a test of primers and their 'force' in relation to one another, ie: brands and rifle vs pistol types. One test was to fire them in a cartridge case using a Mauser action with just a bored out barrel stub in a blacked out room using an open shutter on his camera.

The other was to fire the primer into a closed container with a pressure recording guage, reading to several thousand pounds PSI. The container was about the same cubage as a 30-06.

If someone recalls this test or who it really was (if not Jamison) please feel free to correct me in any mistakes.

If I'm not very sadly mistaken a small rifle primer generated a couple thousand PSI. A primer doesn't look like much, but in this case looks are VERY deceiveing!

................Buckshot