PDA

View Full Version : LUBE AND SIZING need info

84mmcarl-gustav
10-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Hello,am new in that bussiness,i try to gather more information than i can,i usaly bought my cast bullet .312 dia,now i whant make my own,i now i need lube,but what about sizing the bullet?do i need absolutly to size it.
I will use LEE90371 LEE MOLD D/C C312-185-1R dia .312,after i make the bullet ,do i have to size it?

carl

mooman76
10-16-2010, 10:14 AM
You may or may not have to size your boolits. I would say probably not and you could get by without but that depends on what size they drop from the moulds and how big you can take in your chamber. Since you have already used 312 and know they work if they drop that size, then you are fine. Slightly larger will depend on if they still chamber ok when loaded unsized. Most like they will unless they drop quite a bit bigger.

runfiverun
10-16-2010, 10:58 AM
yep, if they are a tad bigger but still will chamber it should be no problem.
however you will need a sizer to seat gas checks.
you can always pan lube and then check/size through a lee push through sizer.

HeavyMetal
10-16-2010, 12:12 PM
I think you should get the mold and cast a few and find out exactly what size they are as Lee molds can "wander" some as to diamensions.

IN the mean time slug the bore of the rifle you going to use it in and see what it really is. Old rifles, particularly mil surp's of all kinds, also have a tendency to "wander" as to bore diamensions.

Ideally you want one to two thousands over bore size. I have no clue what that would be metrically but I am confident you can figure it out.

Then and only then should you worry about sizing your boolits! Because now you know what you need and you won't waste money on stuff you can't use or don't need.

Second if your planning on shooting cast in a rifle be aware that there are some limits to the velocity range you can shoot cast in successfully!

If your going to try to duplicate factory loads in a smokeless rifle round your headed for a cleaning seassion you will never forget!

As to lube? Do Not use the Lee LLA period! My suggestion is pan lube using Larr's Carnuba Red and a link to him is at the bottom of every page on this site.

Good luck!