PDA

View Full Version : Weaver Scope focusing distance?

dromia
10-16-2010, 04:31 AM
Can anyone tell me what distance the Weaver K series scopes focus down to?

I'm in the market for getting steel tubed Weaver K2.5 and K4 for my daughters Marlin 39a but she shoots off hand indoor comp with it so the scope will need to go down to 20yrds.

I'm also wanting to fit one to my Marlin 336 in 30/30.

Also whats a good Marlin fit Weaver rail and good scope rings.

bob208
10-16-2010, 08:47 AM
i have a old k-10 60b that goes down to 50 feet and up to 1000 yds. and a k10 e that goes the same.

10-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Probably no exact answer. I just pulled a steel tubed Weaver K4 out of the drawer and checked it. While not perfectly in focus, I'd judge the sharpness was good enough for target work at about 30 feet. At 20 feet it could be used for target but the blurry image would be enough to bug me psychologically.

I'd think that parallax would be the biggest issue at the range you are talking about. I'd guess that zero parallax in the older K Weaver scopes to be in the 100 yard range. For serious 22 target work the dedicated 22 rf scopes usually have zero parallax at 40-60 yards. Also, one of the "dot" scopes may work at the shorter ranges and would help eliminate the parallax issue.

dromia
10-18-2010, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the input, she has a AGS on it that does fine she just wants something that looks more in keeping with the rifle, I like the Weavers and they are relatively easy to get S/H just wanted to check if theyed focus down enough.

Scopes nowadays have more knobs than Ascot day and just look overly complicated.

Personally I'm a nice and simple fixed power scope person like my daughter.

10-18-2010, 08:29 AM
dromia,
Yes! Simple is good. Clean lines are good. I would imagine that from about 50 ft. on out the Weaver will have reasonably sharp focus. If the shooter can maintain the crosshair in the center of the sight picture image then the parallax won't be an issue. If however, concentration wanders as the target/bull is concentrated on or if the stock fit is not just right it is easy to forget about the "crosshair in center" thing and parallax can come into play. Another possibility, at the ranges you're talking about, is a good receiver aperture sight with a globe front. I've found that good "irons" at those shorter ranges to be as precise as optical sights.

Depreacher
10-26-2010, 10:30 PM
What about an airgun scope??? The focal distance would surely be shorter than 100 yds. Airgun scopes are TOUGH!!! Made for recoil BOTH ways, which they get from a big springer air rifle. You can also adjust the focal distance for a fixed scope by screwing in or out (can't remember) the objective lens (the front one). Only go 1/4th of a turn at a time. You have to loosen the outside locking ring first. Have a sharpely defined target, at the desired distance, that you can focus on as you adjust. BE CAREFUL, and don't scratch that pretty Magnesium oxide coating on the surface of the lens. :groner:

Uncle R.
10-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Yep - 405 has the issue in hand. It's not just focus - it's parallax to worry about. At such short range with a "normal" hunting scope the error from parallax can be severe. I'd get her a scope specifically designed for short-range use.

timkelley
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Castboolitpreacher probably has the answer. Airgun scopes are hell-for-stout because of the way these guns recoil. They are usually fairly small and can, with a set of Weaver type rings, be fitted to just about anything. I've had one on an AR and on a 10-22.

gray wolf
11-27-2010, 10:29 PM
The ocular lens ( front ) will most likely clear up the image, but like it's been said it's all about
parallax. Unless you can correct it with an adjustable objective lens ( the front one )
any movement with your head will throw the shot off. Most HP scopes are set for 100 yards,
with some at 150. At close range say 25 to 50 yards parallax can be lessoned if you use the lowest power setting on the scope. 2 or 2 1/2 power will have a lot less parallax at close range than lets say 6 or 10 power. BSA makes a not to costly scope they call there sweet 22,
I think it can focus down to 15 or 25 yards and longer. I use a very expensive scope on my Browning T-bolt and it takes a lot of concentration at 25 yards because of the none adjustable parallax.
If you site in on a target and move your head up and down while you look through the scope and the cross hairs move--you got PARALLAX and it can cost you a shot or two.

Sam

Doc Highwall
11-27-2010, 11:30 PM
I put a Simmons 22 MAG scope on my 39A that is 3x9x-32mm with A/O that focuses under 33 feet and if you remove the covers there is a raised piece so you can turn them without a coin or screwdriver. Here is a picture of it on my 39A with a 16" barrel and the Marlin Cowboy has a 3x Malcolm with a 24" barrel. The dealer cost of the 22 Mag scope is $50.00

HamGunner
01-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Like TIMKELLY, I have several of the inexpensive BSA scopes. On a .22, their airgun scope that is 2.5x7x 32mm with AO. Parrallex adjusts down to 7 1/2 yards and is very clear. Works perfect on squirrels that can suddenly show up nearly under one's feet as well as those as far as I can hit one. Nothing fancy, but really has been tough scopes. I would not be afraid to use them on moderately recoiling center fire rifles as they do have reverse recoil toughness built in as well.

tenneesse
01-26-2011, 06:57 PM
I have a K10 60 C2 and would like to know what the adjustment values are I'm guessing 1=1/4" at 100yds. I just picked it up on GBroker and haven't sighted it in yet. I have an old flat bolt .243 that it seems to fit real well. thanks for any info.