PDA

View Full Version : How to neck size?

ghh3rd
10-15-2010, 03:56 PM
What is the proper way to neck size? Is it simply a matter of setting the decap pin very low so as to only run about half or less of the case through the sizing die? I haven't done it before, although I've be reloading .38 and .44, and just started loading 45-70.

Also, I'm wondering if it can cause difficult loading/chambering, expecially in the lever gun.

Thanks - Randy

beagle
10-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I neck size for all my levers except the pistol calibers and have never had a problem.

A .44 Mag TC die works well on the .444 and a .357 Mag TC die does the .35 Remington. I've tried a .45 Colt TC die on .45/70s and it works but seems to make the neck too small but it works.

Believe it or not, I found a .32 Special RCBS neck size die in a box of junk dies......I was a happy camper as it works for both the .32 Special and .32-40./beagle

onesonek
10-15-2010, 07:17 PM
You can do what is called partial sizing with FL dies Randy. While not true neck sizing, in affect it's close. Just screw your FL die down where it touches the shell holder, then back it off 1-1/2 turns. In essence, the die body isn't making contact with the lower 2/3's to 3/4's of the case body, or the shoulder on a bottleneck case.
Other than that, the option is a neck die.

mrbill2
10-15-2010, 07:34 PM
For bottleneck cases, try the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die. No more case lube to deal with, just run them through the die and your on the way.

reloader28
10-15-2010, 09:05 PM
ALOTA mine is the partial sizing like what was described.

The easiest way is to not adjust your FL size die at all, but get a washer that you make or use one from a 38/357 or 44mag/44spl die set. Put it under your size die and size away. I even made several thinner washers to use or add with the thick ones depending on the caliber. That way you dont have to adjust anything.

Some calibers I'm only sizing half the neck and thats it. Thats how I do it anyway.

geargnasher
10-16-2010, 04:26 AM
What is the proper way to neck size? Is it simply a matter of setting the decap pin very low so as to only run about half or less of the case through the sizing die? I haven't done it before, although I've be reloading .38 and .44, and just started loading 45-70.

Also, I'm wondering if it can cause difficult loading/chambering, expecially in the lever gun.

Thanks - Randy

I use Lee Carbide dies for all my pistol stuff, and here's what I do since the decapping pins are way too short for the purpose: Get extra decapping rods made for the Lee Universal expander die, or from a long rifle die set like .30-'06 that have a small expander ball that won't touch the pistol brass. Both of these options give you a longer rod that allows .38, .357, 44 Mag, and .45 Colt to be sized only to the base of the average seated boolit while still allowing simultaneous decapping. I adjust the die body to where I want it with the ram full up, then adjust the rod so the pin is the correct depth to punch out the spent primer without hitting the case web.

This partial sizing usually means assigning specific brass for each gun, but can improve accuracy greatly, especially in .45 Colt that typically has very oversized chambers. You may need to FL resize after a number of firings to facilitate chambering, and leverguns may be a problem in some cases, but I've had good luck doing this in a .45 Colt Henry rjifle as well as a friend's M92 copy in .357 Magnum.

Gear

nicholst55
10-16-2010, 06:15 AM
I do most of my decapping for rifle cartridges with the Lee Universal Decapper, and then I don't have to worry about adjusting the sizing die to decap. Plus, it only costs $10! The Lee Collet Dies are definitely one of their better ideas, but you do have to read the instructions that accompany them in order to adjust them properly.

missionary5155
10-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Good morning
I have been a "Partial sizer" for many years. I think I foirst read of it in one of the older Speer manuals #10. It works. But then as stated above you must segregate brass to a firearm due to the chamber diameter differences. I generally size down to where I can still see a ring not sized above the shoulder.
I keep my brass in ziplocks and each bag is clearly marked which firearm they belong to.

qajaq59
10-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Also, I'm wondering if it can cause difficult loading/chambering, expecially in the lever gun. You'd likely be better off FL sizing for your lever guns. Especially for the hunting ammo. You can't apply as much pressure with the levers as you can with a bolt, so they can jam up on you.

shootingbuff
10-17-2010, 02:09 PM
You'd likely be better off FL sizing for your lever guns. Especially for the hunting ammo. You can't apply as much pressure with the levers as you can with a bolt, so they can jam up on you.

:shock:

I agree, however each gun / re-loader is different..

sb

mpmarty
10-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't think it is possible to "neck size" a straight wall case like 45/70 or the pistol calibers you mention. I know for a fact that I full length size all straight wall cases and always have. You may want to mike a fired case and then mike one that you full length sized. If the sized case is more than a few thousandths of an inch smaller than the fired case you may want to try to order a custom sizer die.

Maven
10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
"I don't think it is possible to "neck size" a straight wall case like 45/70 or the pistol calibers you mention."

Lee Loaders are offered in .45-70 and pistol calibers and they do in fact size only the necks. I use the .45-70 version to [neck] size brass for my Marlin #336, but chambering such rounds after 3 or 4 firings is difficult. When that happens, I FL resize it.

geargnasher
10-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't think it is possible to "neck size" a straight wall case like 45/70 or the pistol calibers you mention. I know for a fact that I full length size all straight wall cases and always have. You may want to mike a fired case and then mike one that you full length sized. If the sized case is more than a few thousandths of an inch smaller than the fired case you may want to try to order a custom sizer die.

I explained how to neck size a straight-walled case here, and I do it quite often, don't see what the problem is. Do it like this:

I use Lee Carbide dies for all my pistol stuff, and here's what I do since the decapping pins are way too short for the purpose: Get extra decapping rods made for the Lee Universal expander die, or from a long rifle die set like .30-'06 that have a small expander ball that won't touch the pistol brass. Both of these options give you a longer rod that allows .38, .357, 44 Mag, and .45 Colt to be sized only to the base of the average seated boolit while still allowing simultaneous decapping. I adjust the die body to where I want it with the ram full up, then adjust the rod so the pin is the correct depth to punch out the spent primer without hitting the case web.

This partial sizing usually means assigning specific brass for each gun, but can improve accuracy greatly, especially in .45 Colt that typically has very oversized chambers. You may need to FL resize after a number of firings to facilitate chambering, and leverguns may be a problem in some cases, but I've had good luck doing this in a .45 Colt Henry rjifle as well as a friend's M92 copy in .357 Magnum.

Gear

I thought the OP was talking about straight-walled pistol cartridges and the .45-70 and asking about "neck" sizing for these, and I thought I'd add my experience and technique to the mix.

Gear

ghh3rd
10-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I appreciate all of the info.

Randy

nicholst55
10-17-2010, 11:10 PM
FWIW, there are neck sizer dies available for the .45-70 case, as well.

Lyman 45-70 NS Die (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=466760)

reloader28
10-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Sorry. I was thinking about bottle neck cases.

Personly I FL size straight cases, tho I aint actually done 45/70 yet.

x101airborne
10-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Neck sizing can be a wonderful boon to accuracy and many guns respond well. As long as the brass is of a uniform length and of the same batch, give it a go. I had a mixed bag of 444 (winchester and remington) cases given to me. The different thicknesses of the brass would give different tension on the bullet and i would essentially have two different groups in the same area. Also as long as your necks are tight enough not to allow the bullet to be forced down into the case, good to go (so crimp). Food for thought. I use my 44 mag levergun for most everything from snakes, deer, hogs, and have intended to use it on one unruly trespasser that no saavy spanglish. i need them to work everytime, without fail. my ammo MUST be of consistent quality and only acceptable accuracy to accomplish this. I know you are seeking accuracy, wich is great, but if you start having failure to feed / failure to chamber, or other ammunition malfunctions, keep that weapon for Saturday afternoon plinking sessions. Dont risk yours or your family's safety on "Well, it worked fine last time".

Char-Gar
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Buy a neck sizing die, adjust it to your press like a FL sizing dies, lube the cases, size and load them.