PDA

View Full Version : RG-2 Mold

nighthunter
10-15-2010, 09:08 AM
I recieved my RG-2 314640 mold yesterday. I got it scrubbed up and heated in the oven a couple of times as suggested in the instructions. Plugged in the pot and sat down to cast a few. I was quite disappointed with the results as my rejection rate was about 75%. I shut down the pot and went to do something else for a little while and think about the casting problem. I've found over the years that most molds will cast good bullets if the proper alloy and technique is used. My main defect in the 314640's was poor fill out in the nose hollow point area. I decided to add some tin to my alloy. Guess what ... Perfect bullets. It was difficult to cast a bad bullet. I got about 400 cast up in less than an hour and later last night I gas checked, sized and lubed them. I'll get a few loaded and take them to the range in the next couple of days. I think this is going to be a very nice bullet for my Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine.

Nighthunter

MT Gianni
10-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Nice to see a problem solved. There are some comments on this in the group buy comment area also. A few have had to run things over the 700 F mark to get good fillout.

leftiye
10-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks, I have one a them 314640s that I've yet to fire up. this will help. Tin is good for hollow points, helps 'em to hang together when they expand.