PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for bowhunting whitetails

redneckdan
09-23-2006, 08:24 PM
I did some hard core scouting and found two likely spots. One has a couple of apple trees along side a seldom used logging trail, slight down hill grade, brushy road sides, surround by CCC type pine forest. There are several deer trails heading from the woods on both sides of the road.

The second spot is also a couple apple trees off of a corner of mixed hardwoods. The apples are surrounded on the other side by 2nd Gen. aspen regrowth. Most of the growth is about head high. On the hardwood forest side there is a ravine that slopes down into a valley with a creek in the bottom.

Got any advice as to approach these spots? Unfortunately, I don't have a tree stand at the moment. For the first spot, I was thinking about setting up along the road side, down wind. There is little ground cover in the CCC forest, so the best cover is the brushy road sides. The second spot I was thinking of setting up on the ridge line in the hardwoods, facing the apples. Backup would be out in the aspen regrowth. I'm figuring on seting up about 20yds from the apples, i can hit reliably out to 30yds.

dk17hmr
09-24-2006, 11:41 AM
For the approach I would put a little Doe In Heat on yer boots and walk right on in. Thats how I do it usally have pretty good luck with that when the rut starts. If there arent many big trees to get a tree stand in there (climbers are great for packin in to an area and take little time to get up a tree as long as there arent many big limbs in the way) I would look at making a ground blind or buyin a pop up blind.

Or jsut camo up and sneak in there and wait, I do this often and have pretty good luck in early seasons when its rainy.

versifier
09-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Pay careful attention to the wind direction, not only of your chosen spots to sit, but also of your approach to them. Cover scents help, providing they don't have to cover excessive human scent. This is especially important if you are on the ground. A good and inexpensive cover is to step on some fallen apples, and carry a few to snack on while waiting.

Oh, and don't forget to shoot them with the pointy end. :mrgreen:

Ivantherussian03
09-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey, think about about getting a topographic map of the area, and start learning a calling technique. Be patience, and put in the time. like most things in life; it is about seat time.

montana_charlie
09-24-2006, 02:38 PM
If you are considering the apple trees to be a 'deer destination', I wouldn't sit 20 yards downwind of them. A whitetail would circle downwind before approaching them, and you would probably be between him and the apples. That places you upwind of the deer.

I would find a spot off to one side of the deer's expected route to the apples where the wind blows from (my) left to right...and at least fifty yards downwind of the trees. He should pass me moving toward my left. Being right-handed, I can swing a bow (to follow him) more easily in that direction without shifting my feet.

If you need to move a little while the deer is in sight...remember that a deer can't see anything else but dirt when his head is down to munch.
CM

C A Plater
09-24-2006, 05:24 PM
You might consider one of those instant blinds. I used a one man $40 unit for a couple of years on my buddy's Wisconsin farm. There, the best spot for seeing was a hill side that had been grazed over by cattle so there was no cover. It helps control scent and keeps you out of the rain. I had a heard go by me about 70 yards out and none showed any sign of spotting me, the just kept moving to the wild apple grove to feed.

Four Fingers of Death
09-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Just a thought, but when the huntings over, why don't you prune the trees some? Better visibility next year and more fruit for the deer. Prune the tree in something like a wineglass, air needed in the middle of the tree.

This mightn't apply to you if you are restricted to hunting away from the fruit bearing season, we don't really have hunting seasons here. Mick.

redneckdan
09-24-2006, 08:06 PM
The season opens sunday, the apple crop is still goin strong.

waksupi
09-24-2006, 08:22 PM
I got all the apples off my tree this afternoon, and threw the bad ones out in the yard. Right now, there are three does, four fawns, and a little spike buck out there eating them. Awful tempting. Too bad my bow is out in the truck. They may not co-operate with me going out right among them to get it.

fatnhappy
09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
The season opens sunday, the apple crop is still goin strong.

I was wondering about that! The season doesn't open here until the 15th and apples are well out of vogue by then.

You might also want to extend you scouting into those "mixed hardwoods." Long after the apples have dropped they'll be looking for groceries under oaks. I'm of the opinion that hunting food plots early in the season is tougher than the late bowseason. After corn comes down and the veggies are at walmart, deer food sources are more concentrated, and reliable. Your situation and timing are probably entirely different.
I've done better hunting the outside of bedding areas/scrapes/rubs and rattling in the early season.

redneckdan
09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Good news-
Found a whole ton of trails and sign as wells as more apple trees. Found several nice blind locations using prexsisting materials, with no modification to the material placement.

Bad news-
Truck acted up on the way back, had to fix it and now my hunting cloths smell like gasoline. Any suggestions to neutralize the smell? So far I've come up with the ideas:

Wash, maybe add baking soda.
Drag it around in the dirt/mud for a while, then wash.
Leave it outside in the wind and rain,

mparks
09-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I'd just hunt into the wind and forget about it.

bruce drake
09-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Wash them in Ivory Powdered Soap (99.44% pure) and then apply your standard cover scent.

redneckdan
09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
washed it with laundry detergent and some orange clean grease remover. Now its sitting outside in a pail full of cedar bark and branches. The washing did remove the gasoline smell and left a faint hint of orange smell. I plan to roll around in some mushy apples to help cover my smell.

eljefe
09-27-2006, 06:31 AM
"I plan to roll around in some mushy apples to help cover my smell."

I hope you don't have any yellowjackets around. That could make for a lively hunt! Probably if you just pay attention to the wind, you will be ok. Good luck!

redneckdan
09-27-2006, 07:36 AM
hmmm. good point. especially considering I'm allergic to stings.

Underclocked
09-27-2006, 11:48 AM
This might help (CLICK). (http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=28783) Be sure to see all three pics. :mrgreen:

Duckiller
09-27-2006, 11:30 PM
#2 son is allergic to bee stings but not wasps/yellow jackets per his allergists. They are supposed to have different kinds of venom. You may want to check with your allergist. Bees are bad enough when he coachs a swim team. Not having to worry about wasps when you go hunting/fishing is nice. Duckiller

eljefe
09-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Dan, you might want to get a few pine branches to put in a plastic bag with your clothes to cover the orange smell. Just a thought...

Four Fingers of Death
09-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Don't change into the hunting gear until you are away form the truck and fire if there is one going. Change again when you come back and keep the hunt ear away from cooking fires, etc.

waksupi
09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Dan, as I told you a few nights ago, just stay downwind. You are not going to fool thier nose.

MT Gianni
09-28-2006, 11:30 PM
I have at times kneeled in fresh elk piss to use as a cover scent. Your mileage or nose or sensibilities may vary. Gianni.

redneckdan
09-30-2006, 11:17 PM
tomorrow is the big day. I will post updates tomorrow night.

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2006, 04:39 AM
I been watching this thread waiting for the results of the hunt with great anticipation. I had my friend come over today and put the finishing touches to my bow, gave me the stabiliser and re aligned the peep and showed me how to adjust everything. He also checked out my backyard where I have been scratching my head trying to work out how to put a practice range in. He gave me a few ideas and I'm really excited. Strangely enough, my dear wife does not share my enthusism. Go figure? Mick.

redneckdan
10-01-2006, 08:04 AM
I got to my stand this morning at about 06 00. Civil twilight started about 7 15 and then all hell broke loose. There were deer all around me in the aspen, they started winding me from it seemed like every direction. The wind was light, maybe 1mph if that. I looked at the wind indicator in front of my blind and the string was wrapped around the sappling 3 times. The winds were constantly shifting, thats how the deer winded me. According to the weather report, the winds are supose to pick up out of the SE after lunch toay. I'm gonna give it another go this afternoon.

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Well at least you know there are deer there! Good luck Dan.

Ivantherussian03
10-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Another thing I thought of. White tails are interesting animals. I have ran into many a young buck moving around at odd hours, when people are not generally hunting, especially if there is fog about, or unusual weather. When I say odd hours, I am talking between 10 am and 2pm.

Good Luck:Fire:

waksupi
10-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Another thing I thought of. White tails are interesting animals. I have ran into many a young buck moving around at odd hours, when people are not generally hunting, especially if there is fog about, or unusual weather. When I say odd hours, I am talking between 10 am and 2pm.

Good Luck:Fire:

Ivan, you just let out a old secret. I get up at the crack of dawn occassionaly, but darn seldom. There is seldom a year passes, that I don't get a buck. And 90+% are shot between 10 and 2. I always see lots of movement this time of day. I believe many are going to water, a bite to eat, or to check scrapes.

redneckdan
10-07-2006, 01:29 PM
out yesterday afternoon, from 1- dark. Saw absolutely nothin, no fresh sign either. On the drive home down the snowmobile trail I spoted two does ankle deep a ditch sluggin down water. IT is quite dry up here right now. I'm wondering If I need to switch tactics and move from the apples and find a watering hole.

Four Fingers of Death
10-07-2006, 10:10 PM
keep plugging away Dan.

redneckdan
10-10-2006, 12:35 AM
went out today to scout some more and went back to fridays spot, found several massize bear crap piles infront of my stand. Bulled that stand and found some more apple trees with good beding cover near by. I also remeber an old railroad grade that runs through a large swamp. I'm thinkin the bucks will start using that heavily once the rut starts.